Juny's Room丂丂Idiom廤

仠know like the back of my hand

弉抦偟偰偄傞

 

A: We could enjoy beautiful sights thanks to you. You are a great guide.

偍偐偘偱丄尒帠側娤岝抧傪妝偟傓偙偲偑偱偒偨傛丅偁側偨偼偡偽傜偟偄僈僀僪偱偡偹丅

B: Thanks. Actually I had lived here for 13 years, so I know this area like the back of my hand.

偁傝偑偲偆偛偞偄傑偡丅幚偼偙偙偵13擭廧傫偱偄偨偺偱丄偙偺抧堟偼弉抦偟偰偄傞傫偱偡丅

 

仠good with one乫s hands

庤愭偑婍梡偱偁傞

 

A: I乫ve been to Misaki乫s Wedding.

旤嶇偺寢崶幃偵峴偭偰偒偨偺丅

B: Oh, really? Isn乫t she beautiful?

杮摉丠偒傟偄偩偭偨偱偟傚偆丅

A: She sure is. But what乫s amazing is that she was in her homemade wedding dress.

偦偆偹丅偱傕嬃偄偨偺偼丄偍庤惢偺僂僄僨傿儞僌僪儗僗偩偭偨偭偰偄偆偙偲丅

B: Right, you know, she is good with her hands.

偦偆傛丄偩偭偰丄斵彈庤愭偑婍梡偩傕偺丅

 

仠call a spade a spade

偼偭偒傝尵偆

 

A: What do you think of my new project?

巹偺怴偟偄僾儘僕僃僋僩傪偳偆巚偄傑偡偐丠

B: Well, the design is marvelous, but, ah乧yeah, you did very well, but..

傑偁丄僨僓僀儞偼偡偽傜偟偄傫偩偑傑丄孨偼椙偔傗偭偨偺偩偑丅

A: Can I move on with this plan?

偙偺僾儔儞恑傔偰傕偄偄偺偱偟傚偆偐丠

B: OK, let乫s call a spade a spade. This plan is not feasible.

傛偟丄偼偭偒傝偲偝偣傛偆丅偙偺寁夋偼幚峴偱偒側偄丅

 

仠come out

旈枾傪柧偐偡丂岞昞偡傞

 

A: Everyone was taken aback when he came out and said he is gay.

斵偑僎僀偩偲岞昞偟偨偲偒偼傒傫側丄偦傝傖丄嬃偄偰偨偹丅

B: No wonder. A lot of girls had a crush on him.

柍棟傕側偄傛丅奆斵偵偍擬偩偭偨偟偹丅

A: Well, now that he came out, he can be truly by himself.

偱傕偝丄僇儉傾僂僩偟偨傫偩偐傜丄斵偼斵傜偟偔惗偒傜傟傞偹丅

 

仠cat gets one's tongue 乮抪偢偐偟偔偰乯岥偑偒偗側偄丄岥偑偒偗側偔側偭偰偟傑偆

 (Has the) cat got your tongue? 偱丄側偤栙偭偰傞偺丠

 

A: Oh, hi, Maya. Long time no see!

偙傫偵偪偼丄儅儎丅媣偟傇傝偹両

B: 乧

C: Maya, say, 乬hello乭 to Aunt Patty.

儅儎丄僷僥傿偍偽偝傫偵乽偙傫偵偪偼乿丄偼丠

B:乧

C: Cat got your tongue?

側偤栙偭偰偄傞偺丠


仠by and large

奣偟偰

 

A: Do you have any advice on living with in-laws?

媊棟偺壠懓偲堦弿偵廧傓傫偩偗偳壗偐傾僪僶僀僗偁傝傑偡丠

B: Well Jane, by and large the Japanese elderly don't eat western dishes.

偦偆偩偹丄僕僃乕儞丄奣偟偰擔杮偺偍擭傛傝偼丄梞怘傪偁傑傝怘傋側偄偹丅

A: Really? Masao loves to eat beef steaks.

杮摉丠夒晇偼僗僥乕僉偑戝岲偒側傫偩偗偳丅

 

仠count out

乣傪彍奜偡傞丂乣傪悢偵擖傟側偄

 

A: If you become a member and sell the product to a hundred customers, you'll be a millionaire.

傕偟丄夛堳偵側偭偰昐恖偵彜昳傪斕攧偟偨傜丄儈儕僆僱傾乕偵側傟傞偺傛丅

B: Humbug! Do you still believe in such pyramid schemes?

偽偐偽偐偟偄両偦傫側偹偢傒島傪怣偠偰偄傞偺丠

A: It's not a pyramid scheme; my boyfriend is making a lot of money in this business.

偦傫側傫偠傖側偄傢丄偆偪偺偩傫側偼偙偺彜攧偱偐側傝栕偗偰偄傞偺傛丅

B: Anyway, you can count me out.

偲偵偐偔丄杔偺偙偲偼丄姩掕偵擖傟側偄偱偔傟丅

 

仠come a long way

戝偒側惉挿傪悑偘傞

 

A: Congratulations on your promotion!

徃恑偍傔偱偲偆両

B: Thanks. I'm looking forward to my responsibilities.

偁傝偑偲偆丅偙傟偐傜愑擟偑廳偄偗偳妝偟傒偩傛丅

A: You've come a long way from a mid-career worker.

拞搑嵦梡偐傜丄椙偔偙偙傑偱棃偨偹丅

B: I'm also amazed how far I have come in just a few years.

悢擭偱偙偙傑偱傗傟偨偙偲偵帺暘偱傕嬃偄偰偄傞傛丅

 

 

 

仠keep one乫s head

椻惷偝傪曐偮

 

A: I've just got a call from the police. My husband is in custody on molestation charges!

寈嶡偐傜崱揹榖偑偁偭偨偺丅晇偑抯娍偺媈偄偱峉抲偝傟偰偄傞偭偰丅

B: You should keep your head in a crisis like this. What did they say?

偙偆偄偆忬嫷偺偲偒偼椻惷偵側傜側偔偰偼丅懠偵側傫偰偄偭偨偺丠

A: They said if I transferred one million yen, the victim would drop the charges.

傕偟丄100枩墌憲嬥偟偨傜丄旐奞幰偑崘慽偟側偄偭偰丅

B: Gee, that's a typical case of "send us money!" fraud!!

偊乕丄偦傟偼揟宆揑側怳傝崬傔嵓媆偠傖側偄偐丅

 

仠rise from rags to riches

柍堦暥偐傜戝嬥帩偪偵側傞

 

A: Mr. Takeda built a gorgeous house in Setagaya.

崅揷偝傫丄悽揷扟偵崑揁傪寶偰偨偺傛丅

B: Yes, he invited me to his housewarming party. The furniture is decorated with marble.

偦偆丄堷墇偟僷乕僥傿偵屇偽傟偨傢丅壠嬶偼戝棟愇偱忺傜傟偰偄偨偺丅

A: Did you know that when he started his business at the age of 18, he was so poor that

he lived on bread crusts and all?

18嵨偱價僕僱僗傪巒傔偨偲偒偼斵偼偁傑傝偵昻朢偱僷儞偺帹傪怘傋偰曢傜偟偰偄偨偦偆傛丅

B: That's a famous story. He is a living example of rising from rags to riches.

桳柤側榖偩傛丅傑偝偵丄柍堦暥偐傜戝惉岟偟偨傫偩偹丅

 

 

仠make it big

堦婙偁偘傞丄戝惉岟偡傞

 

A: I wonder what Ms. Nagano is up to quitting the job.

挿栰偝傫丄撍慠夛幮傪帿傔偨傝偟偰丄壗傪峫偊偰偄傞偺偐偟傜丅

B: You don't know? She made it big with her nail art skills.

偟傜側偄偺丠斵彈丄僱僀儖傾乕僩偺媄弍偱戝惉岟偟偨偺傛丅

A: Is that so? What a career change! English teacher turned nail artist.

偦偆偩偭偨偺丠側傫偰壺楉側揮恑両丂塸岅偺嫵巘偐傜僱僀儖丒傾乕僥傿僗僩偩側傫偰丅

B: They say she's won some international competition.

崙嵺揑側僐儞僥僗僩偱傕桪彑偟偨傜偟偄傛丅

 

仠spoon-feed

娒傗偐偡丂

 

A: Some young people are so wayward these days.

庒偄恖偺拞偵偼丄杮摉丄傢偑傑傑側恖偑偄傞傛偹丅

B: Not only young people though.

庒偄恖偩偗偠傖側偄偱偟傚丅

A: But their attitude is typical of the spoon-fed generation.

偱傕斵傜偺懺搙偼娒傗偐偝傟偨悽戙偺揟宆偩偲巚偆丅

B: That is a new one to me.

偦偆偐側丅

 

仠draw a line

偗偠傔傪偮偗傞丂堦慄傪夋偡

 

A: My students don't meet their deadlines nowadays.

巹偺惗搆偼掲傔愗傝傪嵟嬤庣傜側偔側偭偨丅

B: Same here. Maybe we have been babying them.

巹偺偲偙傕摨偠丅偪傚偭偲娒偐偭偨偐側丄崱傑偱丅

A: We should draw a line somehow.

壗偲偐偗偠傔傪偮偗側偄偲丅

B: Right. Why don't we put a warning on the bulletin board

偦偆偩偹丅宖帵斅偵寈崘偱傕揬傠偆偐丅

 

仠go easy on乧

乣偵庤壛尭偡傞丄梕幫偡傞

 

A: Oh, the elevator is under inspection...

偁偭丄僄儗儀乕僞乕偑揰専拞偩偭偰丒丒丒

B: We have no choice but to climb up the stairs.

奒抜傪搊傞偟偐偁傝傑偣傫偹丅

A: OK then, let's do it. I'll race you.

偦偆偩偹丄偠傖嫞憟偟傛偆丅

B: All right. I won't go easy on you.

傢偐偭偨丅庤壛尭偟傑偣傫偐傜偹丅

 

仠pitch in

嫤椡偡傞

 

A: Do you want to pitch in for the charity concert?

僠儍儕僥傿乕僐儞僒乕僩偺偨傔偵嫤椡偟偰偔傟側偄丠

B: What do you want me to do?

壗傪偡傟偽偄偄偺丠

A: If you are free on Saturday, I want you to help me with the settings.

傕偟丄搚梛擔嬻偄偰偨傜丄僗僥乕僕嶌傝偺偍庤揱偄傪偍婅偄偟偨偄偺丅

B: All right. I'm broke, but I have muscles.

傢偐偭偨丅嬥偼側偄偗偳丄椡偼偁傞偐傜偹丅

 

仠down in the dumps

棊偪崬傫偱偄傞丂傆偝偓偙傓

 

A: Mr. Koike's house was flooded above floor level as a result of the heavy rain.

彫抮偝傫偺偍戭丄彴忋怹悈偩偭偨傫偩偭偰丅偁偺峖悈偺偲偒丅

B: That乫s why he is down in the dumps.

偩偐傜丄傆偝偓偙傫偱偄傞傫偩丅

A: Yes. Maybe we should pass the hat around for him.

偦偆丅斵偺偨傔偵僇儞僷偟傑偟傚偆偐丅

B: Let's do it. He needs cash to get back on his feet.

偦偆偟傛偆丅尦婥偵側傞偨傔偵帒嬥傕昁梫偩偐傜偹丅

 

仠2005/11/11 Fri  chip in

偍嬥傪弌偟崌偆

 

A: Jack and Jessica just had a baby.

僕儍僢僋偲僕僃僔僇偺偲偙丄愒偪傖傫嶻傑傟偨偭偰丅

B: Oh, I want to celebrate.

偁傜丄偍廽偄偟偨偄偹丅

C: Me too. How about giving them a present?

傢偨偟傕丅僾儗僛儞僩傪偁偘傞偭偰偄偆偺偼丄偳偆丠

A: Good idea. If we all chip in, we can buy a really nice thing.

偄偄偹丅傕偟奆偱偍嬥傪弌偟崌偊偽丄偄偄傕偺傪攦偊傞傛丅

 

仠live on borrowed time

巆傝彮側偄恖惗傪惗偒傞

 

A: Well, when I was younger, I was full of ideals, but I lost them.

傆傓丄庒偐偭偨崰偼丄棟憐偵枮偪偰偄偨偑丄崱偼偦偆偱傕側偄丅

B: True. I used to enjoy the hustle and bustle of cities, but not any more.

慡偔偩丅挰偺寲憶傪妝偟傫偩傕偺偩偑丄傕偆偦傫側偙偲傕側偄丅

A: Yup. We're older and living on borrowed time without a thought for tomorrow, aren't we?

偦偺捠傝丅擭傪偲偭偰側傫偲偐惗偒偰偄傞傫偩偐傜偹丄柧擔偺偙偲傪偔傛偔傛偟側偄偱丅偦偆偩傠丅

 

僕儑儞丒儗僲儞偺壧偵偁傝傑偡丅僞僀僩儖偵傕側偭偰偄傑偡丅

 

仠low man on the totempole

壓偭抂丂晄棙側棫応偵偄傞恖丂傌偄傌偄

 

A: Hiroshi, make 10 copies of this document.

僸儘僔丄偙偺暥彂10晹僐僺乕偍婅偄丅

B: Yes, sir.

傢偐傝傑偟偨丅

C: Hey, send this letter by registered mail by noon, Hiroshi.

拫傑偱偵丄偙偺庤巻傪彂棷偱憲偭偰偹丄僸儘僔丅

B: All right. I have no time to sit down! It's really tough being the low man on the totem pole...

傢偐傝傑偟偨丅嵗傞壣傕側偄傛両傌偄傌偄偼偮傜偄偹丅

 

仠shotgun wedding

擠怭偟偨偨傔偵偡傞寢崶丂崱偱尵偆偱偒偪傖偭偨崶

 

A: Did you know that Mike and Marie had a shotgun wedding?

B: I couldn't care less. It doesn't matter if they're happy.

A: Oh, sure.

 

愄丄柡傪擠怭偝偣偨抝偵晝恊偑廵傪撍偒偮偗偰寢崶傪敆偭偨偲偄偆偙偲偵桼棃偟傑偡丅

 

仠ride shotgun

幵偺彆庤惾偵嵗傞

 

A: Can I ride shotgun, Jonny?

B: No, you're too young. Jimmy can.

A: That's not fair! He always rides shotgun.

 

愄墂攏幵偺屼幰偺梡怱朹偑偲側傝偱丄廵傪帩偭偰偄偨偙偲偵桼棃偟傑偡丅

 

仠have one乫s cake and eat it too

堦嫇椉摼傪摼傞丂椉棫偝偣傞丂

can乫t 傪偮偗偰乽擇揺傪捛偆傕偺偼堦揺傪傕摼偢乿

 

A: I want to go with Jessica.

僕僃僔僇偲晅偒崌偄偨偄側丅

B: Are you kidding?  You said you would ask Cynthia out yesterday.

偳偆偄偆偙偲丠 嶐擔僔儞僔傾傪僨乕僩偵桿偆偭偰尵偭偰偨偠傖側偄丅

A: They are two different types and I like both of them.

擇恖偼堘偆僞僀僾偱丄擇恖偲傕岲傒側傫偩丅

B: OK, you know you can't have your cake and eat it too.

傢偐偭偨丄擇揺傪捛偆傕偺偼堦揺傪傕摼偢丄偭偰傢偐偭偰傞傫偩傠偆偹丅

 

仠spring colors

弔偺朘傟丂弔偺挍偟

 

A: We see spring colors here and there.

弔偺挍偟偑偁偪偙偪偵尒傜傟傞偹丅

B: Yes, this is the best season of the year.

偆傫丄堦擭偱堦斣偄偄婫愡偩偹丅

A: Right. Trees are bursting into leaf.

偦偆偩偹丅栘乆偐傜椢偑夎悂偄偰偄傞丅

B: Let's enjoy this balmy weather fully before it gets muggy!

攡塉偵側傞慜偵偙偺壐傗偐側婥岓傪枮媔偟側偔偪傖偹丅

 

仠lose touch

姩偑撦傞

 

A: I used to speak French.

僼儔儞僗岅傪慜偼榖偣偨傫偩丅

B: Oh, really?

偊偊丄杮摉丠

A: I took French classes in college, but I lost touch.

戝妛偱僼儔儞僗岅偺僋儔僗傪偲偭偨傫偩偗偳丄偡偭偐傝偝傃晅偄偪傖偭偨丅

B: Yeah, you need to use the language if you want to learn.

偦偆偹丄妛傃偨偐偭偨傜尵梩偼巊傢側偄偲偹丅

 

 

仠one-hit wonder

堦敪壆丂堦嬋丄偁傞偄偼堦夞偺僷僼僅乕儅儞僗偑戝僸僢僩偟側偑傜丄屻偑懕偐側偄儈儏乕僕僔儍儞傗攐桪側偳

 

A: I didn't know that you like this singer.

偙偺壧庤岲偒偲偼丄抦傜側偐偭偨丅

B: Well, I bought those CDs because her first song was so great.

偆傫丄偦偺CD攦偭偨偺偼丄嵟弶偺壧偑偡偭偛偔傛偐偭偨偐傜側偺丅

A: Yes, that was a smash hit.

偦偆偩傛偹丄偁傟偼僸僢僩偟偨傛丅

B: Other songs were not my liking. I guess she was just another one-hit wonder...

懠偺壧偼岲偒偵側傟側偐偭偨丅堦敪壆偩偭偨偺偐側丅

 

仠have a go at

乣傪帋偟偰傒傞

have a go at ...ing ing宍偺懠丄柤帉傕懕偒傑偡丅

 

A: I really want to study acoustics more in depth.

壒嬁妛偵偮偄偰傕偭偲曌嫮偟偨偄傫偩丅

B: Then you should go to Institute of Sound Techniques.

偠傖丄壒嬁媄弍愱栧妛峑偵峴偭偨傜丠

A: OK, I think I'll have a go at it. I might as well apply to the Institute right now.

偦偆偩偹丄偦偆偟偰傒傛偆偐側丅崱偡偖庴尡怽偟崬傒傪偟偨傎偆偑偄偄偹丅

 

仠odds and ends

偑傜偔偨丂嶨梡丂

摨條偺堄枴偱丄loose ends丂偑偁傝傑偡丅

崱擔偼丄...and...偺宍偺僀僨傿僆儉傪廤傔傑偟偨丅

 

A: Now let's get on with the new project.

偝偁丄怴偟偄僾儘僕僃僋僩偵庢傝偐偐傠偆丅

B: Not yet. We must clean up some odds and ends before that.

傑偩偩傛丅偦傟傛傝愭偵枹夝寛偺嵶偐偄巇帠傪曅偯偗側偔偪傖丅

A: You're right.

偦偆偩偭偨丅

 

 

仠song and dance

戝憶偓丂偄偄傢偗

 

A: Joseph is late again. This is the third time this week.

僕儑僙僼偼傑偨抶崗丅崱廡嶰夞栚偩丅

B: Does he have any good reason?

偪傖傫偲棟桼偑偁傞偺偐偹丅

A: He goes through a song and dance every time he is late.

I'm not sure if he is telling a truth.

抶崗偺偨傃偵偄傠偄傠偄偄栿偡傞傫偩偗偳丅杮摉偐偳偆偐傢偐傜側偄丅

 

仠hang loose

婥妝偱偄傞丂偔偮傠偖

 

A: They still haven't contacted me...It's been two weeks since I had an interview!

傑偩楢棈傛偙偝側偄傛丒丒丒柺愙偐傜擇廡娫偵側傞偺偵両

B: I understand how you feel, but you are being too uptight.

婥帩偪偼傢偐傞偗偳丄恄宱幙偵側傝偡偓偩傛丅

A: I can't help it.

偦偆側傜偞傞傪摼側偄傫偩丅

B: Just hang loose a bit and wait for the good news.

偪傚偭偲偔偮傠偄偱偝丄偄偄僯儏乕僗傪懸偲偆傛丅

 

 

 

 

仠be put under the hammer

僆乕僋僔儑儞偵偐偗傞

 

A: Rare Japanese gold coins were put under the hammer.

捒偟偄擔杮偺嬥壿偑僆乕僋僔儑儞偱攧傜傟偨傫偩偭偰丅

B: Really? How much did they fetch?

偄偔傜偖傜偄偱丄堷偒庢傜傟偨傫偩偄?

A: A former two-yen gold coin issued in 1877 brought 17 million yen!

B:1877偵敪峴偝傟偨偐偮偰偺2墌嬥壿偼丄1700枩墌偱攦傢傟偨偦偆側丅

A: Incredible. 怣偠傜傟側偄丅

 

仠a gas guzzler

僈僜儕儞傪傗偨傜怘偆幵...忋昳偵偄偆偲擱旓偺埆偄幵

 

A: How's your new car?

怴幵丄偳偆偩偄丠

B: Well, performance and speed is perfect, but...

惈擻傕僗僺乕僪傕偽偭偪傝側傫偩偑丒丒丒

A: Don't tell me, it's a gas guzzler!

傢偐偭偨丅僈僜儕儞怘偆傫偩側両

B: You guessed right.

偁偨傝偩傛丅

 

仠keep one's shirt on

搟傜側偄丂偁偣傜側偄丂僀儔僀儔偟側偄

 

A: Does he know it's an expressway? He must be driving at 40km per hour or so!

崅懍摴楬偩偭偰帠傢偐偭偰傫偺偐側丅40km偖傜偄偱憱偭偰傞傫偠傖側偄偺両

B: Keep your shirt on! You should just pass him when you can.

棊偪拝偗傛丅捛偄墇偣偽偄偄偩偗偩丅

A: But it's dangerous! I bet he's using a cell phone!!

偱傕婋尟偩傛丅愨懳実懷巊偭偰傞傛丅

 

 

仠bring down the house

攺庤妳嵮傪庴偗傞

 

A: My son belives he can be a comedian.

懅巕丄僐儊僨傿傾儞偵側傟傞偭偰巚偭偰偄傞丅

B: What makes him think so?

偳偆偟偰偦偆巚偆傫偩傠偆丅

A: He performed at the school festival, and his act brought down the house.

妛墍嵳偱丄寍傪尒偣偨傜戝庴偗偟偨傫偩丅

B: I've been thinking he has what it takes to be an entertainer.

傏偔傕丄斵偵偼寍擻恖偺慺幙偑偁傞偲巚偭偰偨丅

 

仠fact of life

尩偟偄尰幚丂忢幆

 

A: Why do those suicide bombers kill innocent people?

偳偆偟偰丄偁偺帺敋幰偨偪偼嵾偺側偄恖傪嶦偟偰偟傑偆傫偩傠偆丅

B: We'll never be able to explain their deep rooted anger.

斵傜偺怺偔崻偞偟偨搟傝傪愢柧偡傞偙偲偼偱偒側偄偹丅

A: Japan can be the next target. Terrorism is a fact of life in much of the world.

擔杮偑師偺昗揑偵側傝偊傞丅僥儘儕僘儉偼悽奅拞偳偙傊峴偭偰傕尩偟偄尰幚偲偟偰偁傞傫偩丅

 

 

斵偲榖偝側偗傟偽偄偄偠傖側偄偐丅

 

仠play into the hands of

乣偵偮偗崬傑傟傞丂乣偺巚偆偮傏偱偁傞

 

A: I fell victim of the billing fraud! Someone called me saying, "Granma, I need five million yen to pay for the damages of a car accident.

怳傝崬傔嵓媆偺旐奞偵憳偄傑偟偨傛丅扤偐偑揹榖偟偰偒偰丄乽偽偁偪傖傫丄岎捠帠屘偱丄500枩墌巟暐傢側偒傖偄偗側偄傫偩乿偲偒偨丅

B: Then you thought it was from Kenta.

偦傟偱丄寬懢偩偲巚偭偨傫偩丅

A: Right. So I said, "Is this Kenta?"

傕偪傠傫丅偩偐傜丄乽寬懢側偺丠乿偭偰尵偭偪傖偭偨丅

B: You played right into the hands of scoundrels.

傑偝偵埆搣偺巚偆偮傏偩偭偨偹丅

 

仠get oneself together

棊偪偮偔丂帺暘傪庢傝栠偡

John Lenon 乬Instant Karma乭偵偁傝傑偟偨丅

 

A: You are still thinking about him.

傑偩斵偺帠傪峫偊偰偄傞傫偩偹丅

B: Of course. How can I get my mind off him! Please tell me!

摉慠偱偟傚丅朰傟傜傟傞偲巚偆丠偳偆傗偭偰両

A: You have to get yourself together and move on. You'll soon find a new boyfriend.

帺暘傪庢傝栠偟偰丄慜恑偟側偒傖丅怴偟偄斵傕偡偖尒偮偐傞傛丅

 

 

 

仠pie in the sky

偆傑偡偓傞榖丂幚尰惈偺側偄偙偲

 

A: I lost 100 dollars and earned none working part time.

僶僀僩傗偭偰丄100僪儖幐偭偨傛丅堦僪儖傕壱偑側偄偱丅

B: Didn't I tell you? That smooth talking salesman was with some hidden purpose.

尵偭偨偩傠丅偁偺岥偺偆傑偄僙乕儖僗儅儞偵偼壗偐棤偑偁傞偭偰丅

A: I was fool enough to believe I could earn a thousand dollars a month just by making a dozen phone calls. That's pie in the sky.

偽偐偩偭偨丅12夞揹榖偡傟偽堦儢寧偵1000僪儖壱偘傞偲怣偠傞側傫偰丅偆傑偡偓傞榖偩偭偨丅

 

仠have pull

僐僱偑偁傞

 

A: I heard that Mr. Komada got the position because he had big pull in this firm.

嬵揷偝傫偰丄偐側傝偺僐僱偑夛幮偵偁傞偐傜偁偺抧埵傪摼偨傜偟偄傛丅

B: Are you sure?

杮摉丠

A: It's a rumor

塡偩傛丅

B: You should keep your mouth shut when you don't know for certain.

妋偐側偙偲偑傢偐傜側偄傫偩偭偨傜丄偦傫側偙偲尵傢側偄曽偑偄偄傛丅

 

 

 

仠give it a wrestle

壥姼偵庢傝慻傓

 

Oh, the year 2005 is history now!

偁乕偁丄2005擭傕廔傢偭偰偟傑偭偨両

Yeah, time really flies, doesn't it?

偦偆偩偹丄帪偺偨偮偺偼憗偄傛丄杮摉偵丅

I have so many things to work for.

傗傜側偒傖偄偗側偄偙偲偑偨偔偝傫偩傛丅

Shall we give it a wrestle this year too?

崱擭傕偑傫偽偭偰傗傞偟偐側偄偹丅

 

仠be on top of everything

慡偰傪偆傑偔偙側偡丂姰帏偵巇帠傪偙側偡

 

I tried to be on top of everything.

壗偱傕姰帏偵偟偨偐偭偨傫偱偡丅

But that's no excuse for abusing drugs.

偱傕偦傟偼丄杻栻偵庤傪愼傔傞偙偲偺尵偄栿偵偼側傜側偄偱偟傚偆丅

I know. I felt as if I was a super-mother. It took me such a long time to realize no one is perfect.

傢偐傝傑偡丅僗乕僷乕儅儅偵側偭偨傛偆側婥偑偡傞傫偱偡丅扤傕姰帏偠傖側偄偲偄偆偙偲偵婥晅偔偺偑抶偡偓傑偟偨丅

 

仠down to the core

怱掙偐傜丂揙掙揑偵

 

The falsification of the quake-resistance data scandal seems to involve more people than expected.

懴恔嫮搙婾憰僗僉儍儞僟儖偵偼偄傠傫側恖偑娭傢偭偰偄傞傒偨偄偩偹丅

Seems like it乫s becoming a nation-wide scandal. It乫s almost out of control!

擔杮拞偱栤戣偑婲偒偰偄傞傒偨偄偠傖側偄丅偲偳傑傞偲偙傠傪抦傜側偄傫偠傖側偄両

Even so, the prosecutors must keep on investigating every suspected construction firm down to the core.

偦傟偱傕摉嬊偼揙掙揑偵媈傢偟偄婇嬈偵偮偄偰憑嵏傪懕偗偰傎偟偄偹丅

 

仠take in stride

椻惷偵乣傪偙側偡丂妝偵乣傪嵪傑偟偰偟傑偆

 

A: Look at him reporting the election in Iraq.

尒偰丄偁偺恖丄僀儔僋偺慖嫇偺條巕傪儕億乕僩偟偰偄傞傛丄

B: Yes, he's as cool as a cucumber even though we hear the sound of gun-fire in the background!

偆傫丄僥儗價偐傜偼廵寕愴偺壒偑暦偙偊傞偺偵丄斵偼側傫偰椻惷側傫偩傠偆丅

A: No one but he can take that situation in stride!

偁偺忬嫷偱椻惷偵巇帠傪偱偒傞恖側傫偰傎偐偵偄側偄傫偠傖側偄偺丠

 

仠save pin money

傊偦偔傝傪偨傔傞

 

A: This year we'll spend our New Year holidays in Sydney.

崱擭偼丄怴擭傪僔僪僯乕偱夁偛偡偺丅

B: Wow, I envy you. How can I be as rich as you?!

傢乕丄偄偄側乕丅偳偆偟偨傜偦傫側偵偍嬥帩偪偵側傟傞偺丠

A: We're not rich you know, but I've been saving pin money off our living expenses for some time for this trip.

偍嬥帩偪偠傖側偄傢傛丄偱傕偙偺椃峴偺偨傔偵丄彮偟偢偮傊偦偔傝傪偨傔偰偒偨偺傛丅

 

仠light at the end of the tunnel

惉岟傊偺巺岥丂埫偄僩儞僱儖偺愭偵尒偊傞柧偐傝

 

A: My daughter has been staying away from school for a long time, but now I see light at the end of the tunnel.

柡偑偢偭偲晄搊峑偩偭偨傫偩偗偳丄柧傞偄挍偟偑尒偊偰偒偨偺丅

B:Good for you and Mina. What happened to her?

偦傟偼丄椙偐偭偨偠傖側偄丅壗偑偁偭偨偺丠

A: Well, she found her dream. She is studying hard for it.

偁偺偹丄柌傪尒偮偗偨偺傛丅偦偺偨傔偵曌嫮傪巒傔偨偺丅

B: The vision of her success helped her get up steam.

柌傪偐側偊傛偆偲偄偆婥帩偪偑斵彈傪尦婥偵偟偨偺偹丅

 

-

仠run out of steam

婥椡傪幐偆

 

A: Oh, I realized I haven't taken my paid holidays this year.

偁丄崱擭丄桳媼傪庢偭偰側偄偙偲偵婥晅偄偨丅

B: Why don't you take some now?

崱庢傟偽丠

A: I might as well do that. After one year with no vacation, I'm running out of steam.

偦偆偟傛偆偐側丅僶働乕僔儑儞側偟偺堦擭偩偭偨偐傜丄懅愗傟偟偰偄傞傛丅

 

仠a flair for the dramatic

寑揑側帠傪堷偒婲偙偡慺幙

 

have a flair for 乣偱丄乽乣偵偮偄偰偺塻偄姶妎傪帩偮乿偲偄偆堄枴偱偡丅

He has a flair for acting (business, music, dancing)側偳偄傠偄傠偄偊傑偡偹丅for the dramatic偼曄傢偭偨尵偄曽偱偡偑丄the偑擖傝傑偡丅

 

A: Kanda kun will be here in any moment.
恄揷孨丄傕偆偡偖棃傞偭偰丅

B: Wow, that乫s exciting. Once he comes, he goes up to the stage and performs some crazy trics.

偦傟偼妝偟傒丅堦搙尰傟傞偲丄僗僥乕僕偵忋偑偭偰柺敀偄庤昳偲偐偡傞傫偩傛偹丅

A: He never fails to bring lots of excitment to the audiendce.

偄偮偩偭偰夛応偑傢偔傛偹丅

B: He really has a flair for the dramatic.

寑揑側偙偲傪堷偒婲偙偡嵥擻偑偁傞傫偩傛偹丅

 

仠for crying out loud

傑偁両丂偆偦偱偟傚偆両丂偍婅偄偩偐傜両

 

A: Mukatsuku!

傓偐偮偔両

B: Michael, watch your language!

儅僀働儖丄尵梩傪怲傒側偝偄丅

A: Uzai!

偆偞偄両

B: Stop cursing for crying out loud!!

偍婅偄偩偐傜偦傫側岥偺暦偒曽偼傗傔側偝偄両

 

Who taught him bad Japanese!?

 

仠went to pieces pick up the pieces

偽傜偽傜偵側傞丂帺惂怱傪幐偆

 

go to pieces偱丄偙傟偼丄pick up the piecesthe偑擖傝傑偡丅

A: After the car accident, he went to pieces and lost all his drive. What is worse, he got fired.

偁偺帠屘偺屻丄斵偼帺惂怱傪幐偭偰傗傞婥偑偡偭偐傝側偔側偭偨傫偩丅埆偄偙偲偵夛幮傕偔傃偵側偭偰丅

B: It's hell on earth!

偙偺悽偺抧崠偩偹両

 

仠pick up the pieces

帠懺傪廂廍偡傞丂屻巒枛傪偡傞丂棊偪拝偒傪庢傝栠偡

 

A: But just last month, he started to pick up the pieces; he finally settled the compensation problem and found a new job!

偱傕偹丄愭寧偵側偭偰丄傗偭偲棊偪拝偒傪庢傝栠偟巒傔偨傫偩丅

曗彏栤戣傪夝寛偝偣偰丄巇帠傕尒偮偐偭偨傛丅

B: Good for him. I think I'll call him tonight.

傛偐偭偨偹丅崱斢揹榖偟偰傒傛偆偐側丅

 

仠shut oneself off from乧

乣偐傜墦偞偐傞丂乣偐傜暵偠偙傕傞

 

A: I don't see Kondo lately. What happened to him?

嬤摗傪尒側偄傫偩偗偳丅偳偆偟偨傫偩傠偆丅

B: He shuts himself off from anyone, even from me.

扤偲傕愙怗偟側偄傫偩丄杔偱偝偊傕偹丅

A: I know he went to pieces when his love died. Let's hope he will soon overcome his sorrow.

楒恖偑朣偔側偭偰帺惂怱傪幐偭偨偺偼抦偭偰偄傞傛丅憗偔棫偪捈傞偲偄偄偹丅

B: Yeah.

偆傫丅

 

仠son of a gun

側傫偰偙偭偨両丂偪偉偭丂

偄傢備傞丄僠僋僔儑乕偺彮偟丄忋昳斉偱偟傚偆偐丒丒丒

抦柤恖乮暷彈惈乯偑巊偭偰偄傑偟偨丅偱傕傢傟傢傟偼巊傢側偄傎偆偑柍擄丠

 

A: One more out, one more out...

偁偲傾僂僩堦偮丄傾僂僩堦偮偱丄

B: No, Charlie hit a home run!

傗偩丄僠儍乕儕乕偑儂乕儉儔儞懪偭偨両

A: Oh, son of a gun! Now the game is going into overtime!

偪偉偭両帋崌偼墑挿愴偩両

 

 

仠figure in

娭傢傝偑偁傞丂寁嶼偵擖傟傞

僟僀傾儘僌偼慜幰偱偡丅屻幰偺応崌丄

"Did you figure in tax when you decided to buy Jaguar?" 僕儍僈乕傪峸擖偟傛偆偲寛傔偨偲偒丄惻嬥偺偙偲偼摢偵擖傟偰偁偭偨丠

偲偄偆晽偵巊偄傑偡丅

 

A: There is a syringe under the body.

堚懱偺壓偵拲幩婍偑偁傝傑偡丅

B: So, some kind of drug has figured in his death.

偱偼丄壗傜偐偺杻栻偑斵偺巰場偲側偭偰偄傞偺偱偟傚偆丅

A: Don't rush to the conclusion, Mr. Watson.

寢榑傪媫偑側偄偱偔傟丄儚僩僜儞孨丅

 

 

仠fire in one乫s belly

栰怱

 

A: Who's going to be our next Prime Minister?

扤偑師偺憤棟偵側傞偺偐偹丅

B: Well, how about my husband?

偦偆偹丄巹偺晇側傫偐偳偆偐偟傜丠

A: Oh, yes, he has a lot of charisma.

側傞傎偳丄僇儕僗儅惈偁傞偟偹丅

B: Yes. Plus, he has fire in his belly.

偦偆偍丅偦傟偵丄栰怱傕偁傞偺傛丅

 

 

仠off-putting

晄夣偵偝偣傞丄埆庯枴偺

 

A: Did you see the 乬Friday Show乭 last night?

梉傋偺乽嬥梛僔儑乕乿娤偨丠

B: Oh, yes. Very few performances were entertaining.

偊偊丄娤偨傢丅偳偺寍傕偮傑傜側偐偭偨丅

A: I agree. Some of them were really off-putting.

偦偆偩傛偹丅晄夣偵側傞偺傕偁偭偨傛偹丅

B: Right. I've decided to call the TV station to complain.

慡偔丅巹僥儗價嬊偵峈媍偺揹榖傪偡傞傢丅

 

仠be in the works

恑峴拞偱丂悈柺壓偱恑傫偱偄傞

 

A: Did you hear that a sexual harassment suit is in the works against the boss?

儃僗偵懳偡傞僙僋僴儔慽徸偑恑峴拞偩偭偰抦偭偰偨丠

B: Of course! Everyone in the company will know about that soon or later.

摉慠両丂傕偆傑傕側偔丄夛幮拞偺恖偨偪偵抦傟傞偱偟傚偆丅

B: Who is suing him?

偩傟偑慽偊偰偄傞偺丠

 

仠all one has to one's name

慡嵿嶻

 

A: Wow, you must be very rich to build a house like this!

傢乕丄偙傫側壠傪寶偰傞偲偼偍嬥帩偭偰偄傞偺偹丅

B: Well, I had to take out a huge loan from a bank. 

偄傗丄嬧峴偱懡妟偺儘乕儞傪慻傑側偒傖側傜側偐偭偨傫偩丅

A: Even so, you still have a lot of money.

偦傟偱傕傑偩拁偊偰偄傞傫偱偟傚丅

B: No,no,no. As a matter of fact, this house is all I have to my name

偲丄偲傫偱傕側偄丅幚偼偙偺壠偑杔偺慡嵿嶻側傫偩丅

 

仠figure out

棟夝偡傞

 

A: I can't figure out why she had to leave us.

偳偆偟偰柡偑弌偰峴偐側偔偰偼側傜側偐偭偨偺偐丄傢偐傜側偄丅

B: Didn't you read her letter? She wants to be independent.

庤巻傪尒偨傫偠傖側偄偺丠丂撈棫偟偨偄傫偩傛丅

A: I've been hoping she would stand on her own two feet, but...

偟偭偐傝帺棫偟偰傎偟偄偲偼婅偭偰偄偨傢傛丄偩偗偳丒丒丒

B: I know how you feel, but she is a grown lady.

婥帩偪偼椙偔傢偐傞偗偳丄偁偺巕偼戝恖偩丅

 

仠be supposed to

乣偡傞偙偲偵側偭偰偄傞丂乣偺梊掕偱偁傞

 

A: Have you handed in the report yet?

傕偆儗億乕僩偼採弌偟偨丠

B: No. I think it's due next Friday.

傑偩丅師偺嬥梛擔偑掲傔愗傝偱偟傚丅

A: We're supposed to submit that report this Friday, not next Friday!

崱廡偺嬥梛偵弌偡偙偲偵側偭偰偄傞傛丄棃廡偠傖側偄傛両

B: No way! In that case, I should go home and work on it right away!

傑偝偐両偦傟側傜丄壠偵婣偭偰偡偖庢傝慻傑側偔偪傖丅

 

仠cut short

愗傝媗傔傞丂抁偔偡傞丂搑拞偱傗傔傞

 

A: Do you think we have to give up some slides?

壗枃偐僗儔僀僪傪偁偒傜傔側偔偪傖側傜側偄偐側丅

B: Yeah, we are supposed to finish by 2:00, but it's already 1:55. We are way behind schedule.

偦偆偩偹丄俀帪傑偱偵廔傢傜偣側偔偰偼側傜側偄偺偵丄傕偆丄150暘偩丅偐側傝梊掕傛傝抶傟偰偄傞丅

A: OK, then, let's cut it short and go to the last chapter.

傢偐偭偨丄偦偆偟偨傜丄搑拞偱傗傔偰丄嵟屻偺復偵堏傠偆丅

 

仠kick off

巒傑傞丂僒僢僇乕偺帋崌偑僉僢僋丒僆僼偡傞

 

A: I can't wait to see the soccer game! What time does the game kick off?

僒僢僇乕偺帋崌偑懸偪墦偟偄傛丅壗帪偵僉僢僋丒僆僼偩偭偗丠

B: The live broadcast begins at 5:00 am, so we can see the game in any minute.

惗曻憲偑5帪偐傜巒傑傞傫偩丄偩偐傜傑傕側偔娤傜傟傞傛丅

A: Good! Oh, I'm getting excited.

傗偭偨両偆乕傫丄嫽暠偟偰偒偨丅

 

仠at the latest.

抶偔偰傕

 

A: I'm getting impatient to know the result of my job interview with the ADF Company!

ADF幮偲偺柺愙寢壥偑抦傝偨偔偰巇曽側偄両

B: When did you have the interview?

偄偮柺愙偟偨偺丠

A: About a month ago. They said they would send us a letter by the end of May at the latest.

堦儢寧傑偊偔傜偄丅抶偔偰傕俆寧偺枛偵偼捠抦傪憲傞偭偰尵偭偰偄偨偺偵丅

 

仠at the earliest

憗偔偰傕

A: I called the ADF company after all.

寢嬊ADF幮偵揹榖偟偨傛丅

B: Really? What did they say?

杮摉丠側傫偰尵偭偰偨丠

A: They said they would let us know by e-mail before this weekend at the earliest.

揹巕儊乕儖偱丄崱廡憗乆偵傕抦傜偣偰偔傟傞偭偰丅

 

仠hand down

屻悽偵巆偡丂揱偊傞

 

A: We should tackle our environmental issues in earnest.

娐嫬栤戣偵恀寱偵庢傝慻傑側偄偲偄偗側偄偹丅

B: You sound very serious-minded. What happened?

傗偗偵恀柺栚偩偹丅壗偐偁偭偨偺丠

A: Well, I attended the "Save the Earth" seminar. We must not hand down such terrible problems to our children.

偁偺偹丄乽抧媴傪媬偍偆乿偲偄偆僙儈僫乕偵嶲壛偟偨傫偩丅傂偳偄忬嫷傪屻悽偵堷偒宲偑偣傞傢偗偵偼偄偐側偄傫偩丅

 

仠add up

偮偠偮傑偑崌偆丂寁嶼偑崌偆

A: Ms. Yamada is said to be dating a man named Charlie.

嶳揷偝傫丄僠儍乕儕乕偲偄偆柤慜偺恖偲晅偒崌偭偰偄傞傜偟偄傢傛丅

B: Now, her sudden interest in English study adds up!

側傞傎偳丄塸岅偺曌嫮偵媫偵忔傝婥偵側偭偨傢偗偑傢偐偭偨両

A: That's right. She used to say Japanese people don't have to learn English!

偦偺捠傝丅擔杮恖偼塸岅傪妛傇昁梫側偟丄側傫偰尵偭偰偨偺偵丅

 

仠be on the right track

婳摴偵忔傞丂惓偟偄摴嬝偵栠傞

A: Most of the banks have disposed of their bad loans, they say.

戝晹暘偺嬧峴偼晄椙嵚尃偺張棟傪廔偊偨偭偰偄偆偠傖側偄丅

B: Sure. Their business is now on the right track.

傕偪傠傫丅嬧峴嬈偼婳摴偵忔偭偰偄傞傫偩傛丅

A: If that's the case, they should pay higher interest to us customers.

偦偆偩偲偟偨傜丄屭媞偵傕偭偲棙懅傪巟暐偭偰傎偟偄傛偹丅

 

仠account for

愯傔傞丂乣偺愑擟傪晧偆丂( cf. The shop should account for the damage of the product. (彜昳偺攋懝偵偮偄偰揦偼愑擟傪晧偆傋偒偩)

 

A: Did you know that graduates of X university account for 90 percent of the board members?

X戝妛偺懖嬈惗偼丄栶堳偺90%傪愯傔偰偄傞傫偩偭偰丅

B: Wow! That's worse than I thought.

偊偊偭両偦傟偼杔偑暦偄偰偄偨傛傝偝傜偵傂偳偄傛丅

A: So we should forget about becoming executives in this firm.

偲偄偆偙偲偼丄偙偺夛幮偱姴晹偵側傞偙偲偼峫偊側偄傎偆偑偄偄偭偰偙偲偩側丅

 

仠check in

儂僥儖側偳偵僠僃僢僋僀儞偡傞丂嬻峘偱壸暔傪梐偗傞

 

A: Do I need to check in this bag?

偙偺偐偽傫傪梐偗側偔偰偼偄偗傑偣傫偐丠

B: I'm afraid so because you already have two carry-on items.

怽偟栿偁傝傑偣傫偑丄偡偱偵婡撪帩偪崬傒壸暔偑擇偮偁傝傑偡偺偱丄偍梐偗婅偄傑偡丅

A: Well, I have no choice then.

巇曽側偄偱偡偹丅

 

 

仠put on an act

堦幣嫃偆偮丂拲堄傪傂偔偨傔偵晛抜偲堘偆怳傞晳偄傪偡傞

尒偣偐偗傞

 

A: I was so surprised when Mr. Matsuki started crying in a loud voice at our president's funeral. He must've been attached to the late president.

徏栘偝傫偑丄幮挿偺憭幃偱戝惡偱媰偄偨偲偒偵偼丄傃偭偔傝偟偨傢丅憡摉丄宧垽偟偰偄偨偺偹丅

B: Get real! Mr. Matsuki was just putting on an act! He just pretended to be a faithful employee in front of the board members.

忕択偱偟傚両徏栘偝傫偼堦幣嫃懪偭偰偨偩偗丅拤幚側幮堳偱偁傞偲丄帵偡偨傔偵傛丅廳栶偨偪偺慜偱偹丅

A: How do you know that?

偳偆偟偰傢偐傞偺丠

B: Trust my hunch.

巹偺姩傛丅

 

 

仠be locked into

峫偊曽偑嬅傝屌傑傞丂(僌儖乕僾側偳偵乯暵偠偙傕傞

 

A: I think you need to undergo a paradigm shift.

孨偼僷儔僟僀儉僔僼僩傪宱尡偟偨傎偆偑傛偄偲巚偆丅

B: What do you mean?

偲偄偆偙偲偼丠

A: If you want to create hot sellers, you should break out of tradition.

攧傟傞彜昳傪嶌傝弌偟偨偐偭偨傜丄揱摑偵偙偩傢偭偰偄偰偼偄偗側偄丅

B: You have a point. I feel I'm locked into the good old ways.

堦棟偁傝傑偡偹丅屆偒傛偒曽朄偵屌幏偟偡偓偰偄偨姶偑偁傝傑偡傛丅

 

仠be snowed under...

丒丒丒偱挻懡朲偩丂朲嶦偝傟偰丂戝晧偗偡傞

be snowed under with job 偲偐丄be snowed under with exams

偁傞偄偼丂be snowed under in the election 側偳偲with偑側偄応崌傕偁傝傑偡丅

暥帤捠傝偺堄枴傕偁傝傑偡丅崱擭偼懡偐偭偨偱偡丅傕偆側偄偙偲傪愗偵婅偄傑偡丅

 

A: Can you come to the party tomorrow, Takeshi?

寬巎丄柧擔偺僷乕僥傿偼偙傟傞丠

B: No, count me out, I'm snowed under with work!

偩傔丄杔傪摢悢偵擖傟側偄偱丅巇帠偱朲偟偡偓丅

A: That's too bad. You know "All work and no play makes Takeshi a dull boy!"

偦傟偼巆擮丅巇帠偽偭偐傝偟偰偄傞偲丄寬巎偼偮傑傜側偄抝偵側傞偧両

B: Oh, give me a break, everyone is busy at this time of the year.

偐傫傋傫偟偰傛丄偙偺帪婜傒傫側朲偟偄傫偩傛丅

 

仠take issue with...

...偵斀榑偡傞丂with偺偁偲偼丄恖偱偼側偔丄your claim, that opinion, their judgement側偳丄帠暱偑偒傑偡丅僕儍乕僫儕僘儉偱傛偔巊傢傟傑偡丅

 

A: I think it's OK for our Prime Minister to visit Yasukuni Shrine.

庱憡偑桋崙恄幮傪嶲攓偡傞偺偼栤戣側偄偲巚偆傛丅

B: I have to take issue with your claim. It's not a good idea to upset our neighboring countries.

偦偺堄尒偵偼摨堄偟側偄偹丅嬤椬彅崙傪搟傜偣偰傛偄偙偲偼側偄丅

A: They should mind their own business.

帺暘偨偪偺崙偺怱攝偟偰偄傟偽偄偄傕偺傪丅

B: We'll never see eye to eye on this issue.

偙偺栤戣偵娭偟偰偼杔偨偪暯峴慄偩偹丅

 

仠have a good head on one's shoulders

尗偄丂婡揮偑棙偔

 

Seattle Mariners偵堏愋偡傞偙偲偵側偨忛搰慖庤偺偙偲傪丄奜崙恖婰幰偑傎傔偰偄傑偟偨丅婰幰夛尒偱偺塸岅忋庤偱偟偨偹丅墳墖偟傑偡丅尐偼椉尐側偺偱丄s偑偮偒傑偡丅

 

A: I often hear my collegues say Mr. Jojima is a good guy, and they are right.

拠娫偵斵偼偄偄恖偩偲暦偄偰偄偨偗偳丄幚嵺偵偄偄恖偩偹丅

B: Do you think he'll be successful in the Major League?

儊僕儍乕儕乕僌偱惉岟偡傞偱偟傚偆偐丠

A: Sure! He is a great player and has a good head on his shoulders.

傕偪傠傫丅桪廏側慖庤偩偟丄摢偺夞揮傕懍偄偐傜丅

 

仠open a can of worms

廂廍偺晅偐側偄帠懺傪堷偒婲偙偡丂嵭偄傪屇傇

 

A: The investigation into how the company made a huge profit in a short period of time certainly opened up a can of worms.

偦偺夛幮偑嫄妟偺晉傪抁婜娫偱晄惓偵壱偄偩傫偠傖側偄偐偭偰憑嵏偑巒傑偭偨偗偳丄廂廍偑晅偐側偄帠懺偵側偭偨偹丅

B: Yes, one thing leads to another.

偆傫丄堦偮偺偙偲偑堘偆偙偲偵偮側偑偭偰偄偔丅

A: I heard the company is on the brink of being delisted.

偦偺夛幮偼忋応偐傜偼偢偝傟傞悾屗嵺偩偭偰暦偄偨傛丅

 

仠take a dark turn

塤峴偒偑偁傗偟偔側傞丂

儔僀僽僪傾偺僯儏乕僗傪尒偰巚偄弌偟傑偟偨丅

 

A: The IT-related stock market plunged!

IT娭楢姅偑媫棊偩両

B: No wonder. The company has been in the limelight, but the situation has suddenly taken a dark turn.

柍棟傕側偄丅椺偺夛幮丄偢偭偲媟岝傪梺傃偰偒偨偗偳丄媫寖偵塤峴偒偑夦偟偔側偭偨偹丅

A: Well, as they say, honesty is the best policy.

傑偁丄乽惓捈偼嵟椙偺嶔側傝乿偩偹丅

B: I'll keep that in mind.

妎偊偰偍偙偆丅

 

仠simple as that  傢偐傝偒偭偨偙偲丂摉慠

It's as simple as that.(摉慠偩傛乯偲偝傟傞偙偲偑傛偔偁傝傑偡丅

 

A: If you find some of your students cheating in a test, would you fail him or her?

傕偟丄偁側偨偺嫵偊傞妛惗偑帋尡偱僇儞僯儞僌偟偨傜棊戞偝偣傑偡偐丠

B: What do you think?

偳偆巚偆丠

A: I guess you fail him no matter what.

偳傫側偙偲偑偁偭偰傕棊戞偝偣傞傫偠傖側偄偐側丅

B: Simple as that!

摉慠偩丅

 

Oh, Professor B is determined!!

 

仠have a crush on

乣偵擬傪忋偘傞丂

big偑擖偭偰丂have a big crush on 偲偡傞偲丄搙崌偄偑崅偔側傝傑偡偹丅

 

A: Hi, Mieko. You haven't changed a bit.

傗偁丄旤宐巕丅偤傫偤傫曄傢偭偰側偄偹丅

B: Oh you flatter me! So you still live here in Niigata?

偍悽帿偽偭偐傝! 傑偩怴妰偵廧傫偱偄傞偺丠

A: No, I came from Tokyo today to attend this class reunion. You know what? I had a big crush on you in junior high school.

偄偄傗丄崱擔偺僋儔僗夛偺偨傔偵搶嫗偐傜棃偨傫偩丅幚偼偹丄拞妛帪戙,孨偵柌拞偩偭偨傫偩丅

B: No way!! I felt the same way about you!

傑偝偐丅巹傕偦偆偩偭偨偺両

 

仠eyes only

娵旈丅 "For your eyes only."偱乽旈枾偱偡傛乿偙偺摢暥帤傪偲偭偰 FYO 偲棯偟偰丄乽恊揥乿傪偁傜傢偣傑偡丅

 

A: Why didn't you say anything?

偳偆偟偰壗傕尵傢側偐偭偨偺丠

B: Oh, he said it's top secret, eyes only.

斵偑丄偙傟偼儅儖旈偩偭偰尵偭偰偄偨偐傜丅

 

塮夋 "A Beautiful Mind" 偱丄墱偝傫偑晇偺僆僼傿僗偺偁傝偝傑

傪斵偺摨椈偵恞偹偰偄傞応柺偱偡丅

 

仠make a splash

堦桇桳柤偵側傞丂拲栚傪堦恎偵梺傃傞

 

A: Hey, please have a look at this article!She's just released her debut single.

偹偊丄偙偺婰帠傪傒偰両斵彈僨價儏乕僔儞僌儖傪弌偟偨偽偐傝側偺丅

B: Hmm, she looks like an ordinary girl.

傆乕傫丅晛捠偭傐偄偙偩偹丅

A: No, she is second to none when it comes to singing!

I'm sure she's going to make a splash.

堘偆偺丄壧偲側傞偲塃偵弌傞恖偼偄側偄偺両昁偢堦桇桳柤偵側傞傛丅

 

仠in the teeth of

乣偵娭傢傜偢丂乣偵媡傜偭偰乮椺偊偽in the teeth of the wind側傜晽偵媡傜偭偰乯

 

A: The news report said, Mr. Koizumi visited Yasukuni

Shrine in the teeth of public opinion.

彫愹巵偑悽榑傪傕偺偲傕偣偢偵桋崙恄幮傪嶲攓偟偰偭偰尵偭偰偄偨傛丅

B: I would say he went there to please some people.

堦晹偺恖偨偪傪婌偽偡偨傔側傫偠傖側偄偺丠

A: I'm not sure. I guess he just needs to have his own way.

傢偐傜側偄丅懡暘丄帺暘偺傗傝曽傪捠偟偨偄偩偗側傫偠傖側偄偐側丅

 

仠take it to the bank

娫堘偄側偄丅You can take it to the bank丂偲傕偄偄丆乽乣偵偮偄偰偼娫堘偄側偄乿, "You bet."丂偲摨偠堄枴偱偡丅

 

A: There's no risk. If you invest 1 million yen, the dividend of 4,000 yen will be returned to your bank account.

儕僗僋偼側偄偱偡傛丅100枩墌偺搳帒偱枅寧4,000墌偑娨尦偝傟傑偡丅

B: If that's the case, I'd invest 2 million yen.

傕偟偦偆側傜丆200枩搳帒偟傛偆偐側丅

A: No problem. Then you can make a profit of 8,000 yen.

You can take it to the bank.

栤戣偁傝傑偣傫丅偦偆偟偨傜娨尦偝傟傞偍嬥偼8,000墌偵側傝傑偡丅怣梡偟偰瓊緜硞B

 

Wow, A talks tough!

 

 

仠get burned

傂偳偄栚偵偁偆丂捝偄栚偵偁偆丂偩傑偝傟傞

傕偪傠傫丄傗偗偳傪偡傞丄偲偄偆堄枴傕偁傝傑偡丅

 

A: I'm glad we've finally paid back the debt.

傗偭偲庁嬥傪曉偟廔傢偭偨傛丅

B: I didn't know you've been in debt!

庁嬥偑偁偭偨側傫偰抦傜側偐偭偨傛丅

A: It's embarrassing, but my wife got burned at gambling.

抪偢偐偟偄傫偩偗偳丄嵢偑僊儍儞僽儖偱捝偄栚偵偁偭偰偹丅

B: Life has its ups and downs.

恖惗嶳偁傝扟偁傝偝丅

 

仠debate with oneself

帺栤帺摎偡傞丂偁傟偙傟擸傓

debate 偺栚揑岅偵...self傪巊偆偲丄偙偆偄偆堄枴偵側傝傑偡丅

 

A: I can't believe you rejected Mr. Kato's proposal.

壛摗孨偺僾儘億乕僘傪抐傞側傫偰怣偠傜傟側偄丅

B: I was torn between marriage and career. I made the decision after debating with myself for a week.

寢崶偲巇帠偲偳偪傜傪偲傞偐偱備傟偨傢丅堦廡娫偁傟偙傟擸傫偩偡偊偵寛傔偨偺丅

A: Well, whatever decision you made, I wish you happiness.

偄偐偵寛堄偟偨偲偟偰傕丄偁側偨偺岾偣傪婩偭偰偄傞偺丅

B: Thanks.

僒儞僉儏丅

 

仠2005/08/16 Tue have a spat

寲壾傪偡傞丂尵偄憟偆

 

A: I don't want to go to the party tonight.

崱斢偺僷乕僥傿丄峴偒偨偔側偄側丅

B: How come? You planned it, didn't you?

偳偆偟偰丅孨偑寁夋偟偨偺偵偝丅

A: I had a spat with George at the meeting just now.

偝偭偒僕儑乕僕偲夛媍拞偵岥偘傫偐偟偰偝丅

B: Well, you don't have to talk to him.

斵偲榖偝側偗傟偽偄偄偠傖側偄偐丅

 

仠get into a big thing

堦憶摦婲偙偡丂恖偲尵偄憟偆

 

A: Parents these days can't seem to think properly.

嬤崰偺恊偭偰偒偪傫偲峫偊傜傟側偄尒偨偄丅

B: What happened?

偳偆偟偨偺丠

A: Tommy's mom and Kouta's mom got into a big thing in the park when their boys fought over a swing!

僩儈乕偺儅儅偲岶懢偺儅儅偑丄岞墍偱寲壾傪巒傔傞偺傛丄巕嫙偨偪偑僽儔儞僐傪庢傝崌偭偰偨傜偝丅

B: Unbelievable.

怣偠傜傟側偄偹丅

 

仠fender-bender

徴撍帠屘乮僋儖儅偺僼僃儞僟乕偑傊偙傓偔傜偄偺乯

儔儔偝傫偑採埬偟偰偔偩偝偄傑偟偨丅Thank you, 儔儔偝傫丅恖傪姫偒崬傓帪傕偄偆傛偆偱偡偑丄戝帠屘偱偼傎偲傫偳巊傢側偄偱偡偹丅

 

A: Hey, what's eating you?

壗偐丄偄傜偄傜偟偰側偄丠

B: I got involved in a fender bender with someone driving a Jaguar.

僕儍僈乕傪塣揮偟偰偄傞恖偲徴撍帠屘婲偙偟偪傖偭偰丅

A: That's really unfortunate.

偮偄偰側偄偹丅

B: Both of us were careless, but the odds are against me, because I was speeding.

椉曽偲傕晄拲堄偩偭偨傫偩偗偳丄杔偑僗僺乕僪堘斀偩偭偨偐傜丄暘偑埆偄傫偩丅

 

仠beauty sleep

旤梕偺偨傔偺憗偄廇怮丂

摿偵midnight(12)傑偊偵怮傞偙偲傪偄偆傛偆偱偡丅

 

A: Are you going home? It's only 9:00.

傕偆婣傞偺丠傑偩俋帪偩傛丅

B: It's already 9:00 to me. You know, I'm getting married, and I will try anything to make me look pretty.

傕偆丄俋帪偠傖側偄丅傕偆偡偖寢崶幃偩偐傜偒傟偄偵側傞偨傔偵偼側傫偱傕偟側偒傖丅

A: So you're saying you need your beauty sleep.

偁偁丄旤梕偺偨傔偵偨偭傉傝悋柊偹丅

B: Exactly!

偦偺捠傝両

 

 

仠golden chance

愨岲偺僠儍儞僗丂愮嵹堦嬾偺僠儍儞僗

僼儖偝傫偑丄徯夘偟偰偔傟傑偟偨両

 

A: Listen, I'll be transferred to New York next month.

暦偄偰偔傟丅棃寧僯儏乕儓乕僋偵揮嬑偵側傞傫偩丅

B: Really? What good news!

杮摉丠傛偐偭偨偹両

A: But I'm worried my folks won't be able to adapt to new life.

偱傕壠懓偑怴偟偄惗妶偵姷傟傞偐偳偆偐怱攝偱丅

B: Don't be silly, it's a golden chance for you. Your family would be glad to move with you.

忕択偱偟傚丄孨偵偲偭偰愨岲偺僠儍儞僗偩傛丅壠懓傕傛傠偙傫偱堏廧偡傞傛丅

 

仠cut loose

墦椂柍偔傗傞丂塇栚傪偼偢偡丂帺桼偺傒偵側傞

 

A: Our presentation was a great success, wasn't it?

僾儗僛儞偼偽偭偪傝偩偭偨偹両

B: Clients seemed impressed and signed the contract on the spot! The road had been bumpy but worth the effort.

媞偼姶怱偟偰丄偡偖偵宊栺偑偲傟偨偟偹丅僠乕僼偼枮懌偦偆偩偭偨偹丅摴偺傝偼尩偟偐偭偨偗偳傗傝偑偄偑偁偭偨傛丅

A: Yes, now let's cut loose and paint the town red!

偆傫丄偝偁丄塇栚傪偼偢偟偰堸傒曕偙偆偐丅

 

仠tit-for-tat

曬暅揑側丂暊偄偣偺

 

A: I got fed up with China's tit-for-tat move.

拞崙偺暊偄偣揑峴摦偵偼寵婥偑偝偡偹丅

B: Well, they have good reason to get angry. Our Prime Minister might have to reconsider his decision.

偦偆偐側丅搟傞偺傕柍棟側偄傛丅庱憡偼峫偊捈偝側偔偰偼偄偗側偄偐傕丅

A: Hmm. You may be right. Sometimes we need to see things from their points of view. Otherwise, we'll never understand each other. 偆傫丄堦棟偁傞偹丅斵傜偺棫応偵側偭偰傒側偄偲偹丅偦偆偟側偄偲偍屳偄偺婥帩偪傪棟夝偡傞偙偲偼偱偒側偄偐傕偹丅

 

仠go head-to-head

嫞傝崌偆 懳寛偡傞丂偟偺偓傪嶍傞

 

A: Do you know who dominates the video game industry?

價僨僆僎乕儉巗応傪撈愯偟偰偄傞偺偼扤偩偐抦偭偰偄傞丠

B: Nintendo, of course.

僯儞僥儞僪乕偱偟傚丅

A: Well, yes, but Sony's doing particulary well with its new PlayStation Portable.

偆傫丄偱傕偹丄偦偵乕偼僾儗僀僗僥乕僔儑儞偱偐側傝偄偄慄峴偭偰偄傞傫偩丅

B: So they are now going head-to-head on consoles.

偠傖丄僎乕儉婡偱偼俀幰偑嫞傝崌偭偰偄傞傫偩丅

 

 

 

仠give one's all

慡椡搳媴偡傞丂椡傪傆傝偟傏傞

 

A: Mr. Lennon has been promoted to section chief.

儗僲儞偝傫偑壽挿偵徃恑偟偨偭偰丅

B: It's about time. Everybody knows he always gives his all in his work.

傗偭偲丄偭偰姶偠偩傛丅斵偑慡椡偱巇帠偵懪偪崬傓偺偼桳柤偩偐傜丅

A: I agree. I'm glad he is our boss now.

偦偆偩偹丅斵偑儃僗偱偆傟偟偄傛丅

 

仠live on borrowed time

梋惗傪夁偛偡

John Lennon偺丂Lennon Legend丂偺拞偵偁偭偨嬋偺僞僀僩儖偑 Borrowed Time. 壧帉偐傜堦晹敳偒弌偟偰椺暥傪嶌傝傑偟偨丅

 

A: Well, when I was younger, I was full of ideas and despair.

庒偄偲偒偼棟憐傗愨朷偺孞傝曉偟偩偭偨偹丅

B: True. I used to enjoy hustle and bustle of cities, but not any more.

杮摉偩丅挰偺寲殑傪妝偟傫偩傝偟偨偑丄傕偆偄傗偩偹丅

A: Yup. We're older and living on borrowed time without a thought for tomorrow, aren't we?

偆傫丄崱丄嵨傪偲偭偰丄壗傕怺偔峫偊偢偵梋惗傪憲傟傞傛偆偵側偭偨傫偩偹丅

 

 

仠ride shotgun

彆庤惾偵忔傞丂

愄丄梡怱朹偑丄椬偱僔儑僢僩僈儞傪帩偭偰攏幵偵忔偭偰偨偐傜偲偄偆愢偑偁傝傑偡丅

 

A: Can I ride shotgun, Johnny?

僕儑僯乕丄彆庤惾偵忔偭偰偄偄丠

B: No, you're too young. Jimmy can.

偍傑偊偼傑偩彫偝偄偐傜偩傔丅僕儈乕側傜偄偄傛丅

A: That's not fair! He always rides shotgun.

偢傞偄傛丅偄偭偮傕僕儈乕偽偭偐傝丅

 

 

仠burst into leaf

怴夎傪弌偡

弔傜偟偄昞尰偱偡偹丅

 

A: What is your favorite season?

堦斣岲偒側婫愡偼丠

B: It乫s spring, of course.

偦傝傖丄弔偱偟傚丄摉慠丅

A: What do you like about spring?

弔偺偳偙偑岲偒丠

B: Everything starts to burst into leaf, riht?

側偵傕偐傕偑丄怴夎傪弌偟巒傔傞偱偟傚偆丠

 

仠lose touch

姩傪側偔偡丂乮妛傫偩偙偲傪乯朰傟傞

lose touch with乣偱乣偲楢棈偑搑愨偊傞丄偲偄偆偙偲偵側傝傑偡丅

 

A: I used to speak French.

慜偼僼儔儞僗岅榖偣偨傫偩偗偳偹丅

B: Oh, really?

杮摉丠

A: I took French classes in college, but I lost touch.

戝妛偱僼儔儞僗岅偺僋儔僗偲偭偨傫偩偗偳丄傕偆偩傔偩偹丅

B: Yeah, you need to use the language if you want to learn.

偦偆偩偹丄妎偊偨偐偭偨傜巊傢側偄偲偹丅

 

仠break the deadlock

嬒峵傪傗傇傞丂帠懺傪廂廍偡傞丂

deadlock偼峴偒媗傑傝丄庤媗傑傝忬懺乮柤乯埫徥偵忔傝忋偘傞乮摦乯

擔杮恖偼丄娾偵忔傝忋偘傞傛偆側忬嫷傪巚偄晜偐傋傞偺偐丂*deadrock*偲娫堘偊偰偮偯傞恖偑旕忢偵懡偄偦偆偱偡丅

 

A: I thought this game would end in a draw.

偙偺僎乕儉偼堷偒暘偗偱廔傢傞偲巚偭偨傛丅

B: Same here. Then Nakata broke the deadlock with a header during the second-half injury time.

偦偆巚偭偰偨丅偦偟偨傜丄僫僇僞偑僿僨傿儞僌偱嬒峵傪攋偭偨傫偩丄屻敿偺儘僗僞僀儉偵丅

A: Everyone went wild!

傒傫側嫽暠偟偨傛側丅

 

仠one-hit wonder

堦敪壆丂堦嬋丄偁傞偄偼堦夞偺僷僼僅乕儅儞僗偑戝僸僢僩偟側偑傜丄屻偑懕偐側偄儈儏乕僕僔儍儞傗攐桪側偳

 

A: I didn't know that you like this singer.

偙偺壧庤岲偒偲偼丄抦傜側偐偭偨丅

B: Well, I bought those CDs because her first song was so great.

偆傫丄偦偺CD攦偭偨偺偼丄嵟弶偺壧偑偡偭偛偔傛偐偭偨偐傜側偺丅

A: Yes, that was a smash hit.

偦偆偩傛偹丄偁傟偼僸僢僩偟偨傛丅

B: Other songs were not my liking. I guess she was just another one-hit wonder...

懠偺壧偼岲偒偵側傟側偐偭偨丅堦敪壆偩偭偨偺偐側丅

 

 

仠right and left

曅偭抂偐傜丂師偐傜師傊偲

waste money right and left丂偱嬥尛偄偑峳偄丅

嵍塃傪傛偔尒傑偟傚偆偼丄look right and left.

 

A: Mr. Matsumoto gave up dieting to lose weight.

徏杮偝傫丄僟僀僄僢僩傗傔偨傫偩偭偰丅

B: So that's why he took dishes right and left at the company cafeteria today.

偁偁丄偩偐傜偝偭偒丄怘摪偱師偐傜師傊偲椏棟傪庢偭偰偨傫偩丅

A: He seems to have run out of his patience.

恏書弌棃側偐偭偨傒偨偄偩偹丅

 

仠humbug

偨傢偛偲

 

愄丄僨傿僘僯乕偺塮夋乽僋儕僗儅僗丒僉儍儘儖乿偱僗僋儖乕僕偑嵟弶偺崰椙偔岥偵偟偰偄偰丄壗偱僴儞僶乕僌丠傗偑偰丄humbug偱偁偭偨偙偲偑傢偐傝傑偟偨丅

 

A: If you become a member and sell the product to a hundred customers, you'll be a millionaire.

傕偟乣孨偑偁丄儊儞僶乕偵側偭偰偉丄偙偺彜昳傪100恖偵攧傞偲偋

孨丄挻嬥帩偪偵側傟傞傫偩偗偳偋乕丅

B: Humbug! Do you still believe in such a pyramid scheme?

偔乕偩傜側偄両偦傫側僱僘儈島怣偠偰偄傞偺丠

A: It's not, my boyfriend is making a lot of money in this business.

僱僘儈島偠傖側乕偂丄偐傟偟丄偙傟偱栕偗偰傞儌儞丅

B: Anyway, you count me out.

偲偵偐偔丄傏偔傪桿傢側偄偱丅

 

榖偟曽偵岺晇偟偰傒傑偟偨偑丄塸岅偵斀塮偡傞椡偑偁傝傑偣傫丅偩傟偐嫵偊偰偔偩偝偄丅

 

仠come a long way

弌悽偡傞丂惉岟偡傞

 

A: Congratulations on your promotion!

徃恑偍傔偱偲偆丅

B: Thanks. I'm looking forward to my responsibilities.

偁傝偑偲偆丅愑擟傪傂偟傂偟偲姶偠傑偡丅

A: You've come a long way from a mid-career worker.

拞搑嵦梡幰偐傜偼偠傑偭偰丄椙偔弌悽偟偨傛偹丅

B: I'm also amazed how far I have come in just a few years.

巹傕悢擭偱偙偙傑偱偙傟傞側傫偰丄巚偭偰傕傒傑偣傫偱偟偨丅

 

仠 keep one's head

椻惷偱偄傞

keep one's cool傕摨偠偱偡偹丅

 

A: I've just got a call from the police. My husband is in custody on molestation charges!

崱寈嶡偐傜揹榖偑偁偭偨偺丅扷撨偑抯娍峴堊偱恎暱傪峉懇偝傟偰偄傞傫偱偡偭偰丅

B: You should keep your head in crisis like this. What did they say?

偦偆偄偆偲偒偼摢傪椻傗偟偰丅壗偱尵傢傟偨偺丠

A: They say if I transfer one million yen, the victim will drop charges.

傕偟丄100枩墌怳傝崬傔偽旐奞幰偼崘慽偟側偄偭偰丅

B: Gee, that's a typical case of "Send us money!" fraud!!

偘乕丄偦傟偼揟宆揑側怳傝崬傔嵓媆偠傖傫丅

 

仠from rags to riches

柍堦暥偐傜戝嬥帩偪偵

 

A: Mr. Takeda built a gorgeous house in Setagaya.

晲揷偝傫丄悽揷扟偵偡偛偄偍壠寶偰偨偹丅

B: Yes, he invited me to his housewarming party. Furniture is lavished with marble.

偆傫丄怴抸僷乕僥傿偵屇偽傟偨傛丅壠嬶偼戝棟愇偱忺傜傟偰偨傛丅

A: Did you know when he started his business at the age of 18, he was so poor that he lived on bread crust?

18嵨偱價僕僱僗傪偼偠傔偨偲偒偼丄昻朢偱丄僷儞偺帹怘傋偰曢傜偟偰偨傫偩偭偰丅

B: That's a famous story. He is a living example of rising from rags to riches.

桳柤側榖偝丅斵偼丄柍堦暥偐傜戝嬥帩偪偺偍庤杮偩傛丅

 

仠make it big on(with)

乣偱戝惉岟偡傞

 

A: I wonder what Ms. Nagano is up to.

挿栰偝傫丄偳偆偟偰偄傞偐側丅

B: You don't know? She made it big with her nail art skills.

偟傜側偄偺丠斵彈偼丄僱僀儖傾乕僩偺媄弍偱戝惉岟偟偰偄傞偺傛丅

A: Is that so? What a career change! English teacher-turned nail artist.

杮摉丠側傫偰丄揮恎丅塸岅偺愭惗偐傜僱僀儖傾乕僥傿僗僩丅

B: She's won several international competitions.

偄偔偮偐偺崙嵺僐儞僥僗僩偱丄桪彑偟偨傫偩偐傜丅

 

 

仠baby

娒傗偐偡

 

A: My students don't meet a deadline nowadays.

巹偺偲偙傠偺惗搆丄採弌婜尷傪嵟嬤庣傜側偄丅

B: Same here. Maybe we have been babying them.

杔傕偦偆巚偆丅娒傗偐偟偰偒偨偐傜偐側丅

A: We should draw a line somehow.

壗偲偐僋僊傪偝偝側偔偰偼丅

B: Right. Why don't we put a warning on the bulletin board

偦偆偩偹丅尩偟偄拲堄傪宖帵斅偵嵹偣偰偍偙偆偐丅

 

仠go easy on

戝栚偵尒傞

崱擔偼丄娒傗偐偡丄戝栚偵尒傞丄偲偄偭偨堄枴偺僀僨傿僆儉偱偄偔偮偐偄偒傑偡丅

 

A: Oh, the elevator is under inspection...

僄儗儀乕僞乕偑揰専拞丒丒丒

B: We have no choice but to climb up the stairs.

奒抜傪忋傞偟偐側偄偹丅

A: OK, then, let's do it. I'll race you.

偠傖丄偦偆偟傛偆丅嫞憟偟傛偆偐丅

B: All right. I won't go easy on you.

偄偄傛丅庤壛尭偟側偄偐傜偹丅

 

仠pitch in

僇儞僷偡傞丂嫤椡偡傞

崱擔偼俁偮丄僇儞僷娭楢僀僨傿僆儉傪彂偒傑偟偨丅

 

A: Do you want to pitch in for the charity concert?

僠儍儕僥傿乕僐儞僒乕僩偵嫤椡偟偰偔傟側偄丠

B: What do you want me to do?

壗傪偡傟偽偄偄偺丠

A: If you are free on Saturday, I want you to help me with setting.

傕偟搚梛嬻偄偰偨傜丄夛応嶌傝傪庤揱偭偰傎偟偄偺丅

B: All right. I'm broke, but I have muscles.

偄偄傛丅嬥偼側偄偗偳丄椡偼偁傞偐傜丅

 

仠pass the hat around

僇儞僷傪廤傔傞丂for傪偮偗偰丄恖傗暔偺偨傔偵丄偲偱偒傑偡丅

 

A: Mr. Koike's house was flooded above floor level as a result of the heavy rain.

彫抮偝傫偺偍壠丄崑塉偺偣偄偱丄彴忋怹悈偩偭偰丅

B: He is down in the damps.

棊偪崬傫偱偄傞傕偺丅

A: Yes. Maybe we should pass the hat around for him.

偦偆丅僇儞僷傪廤傔傞偭偰偄偆偺偼偳偆偐側丅

B: Let's do it. He needs cash to get back on his feet.

偦偆偟傛偆丅棫偪捈傞偨傔偵偼丄尰嬥偑昁梫偱偟傚偆丅

 

仠chip in

乮偍嬥傗暔側偳傪乯弌偟崌偆丂

桭払傗丄夛幮偺摨椈偺偍廽偄帠偵傒傫側偱偍嬥傪弌偟崌偆偲偒偵傛偔巊傢傟傑偡丅

 

A: Jack and Jessica just had a baby.

僕儍僢僋偲僕僃僔僇偵愒偪傖傫偑嶻傑傟偨偭偰丅

B: Great! I want to congratulate them.

偡偛偄両偍廽偄偟偨偄丅

C: Me,too. How about giving them some present?

傢偨偟傕丅僾儗僛儞僩偟傑偟傚偆偐丅

A: Good idea. If we all chip in, we can buy a real nice thing.

偦傟偑偄偄丅傒傫側偱弌偟崌偊偽丄偄偄傕偺偑攦偊傞傛丅

 

仠Did you toot?

僋僀僘丗偳偆偄偆堄枴偱偟傚偆丅

 

M愭惗偺娔廋偱崱擔偼偍側傜僔儕乕僘偱偡丅

埲慜丄toot one's own horn偺偲偙傠偱丄toot偼偍側傜傪楢憐偝偣傞偺偱傗傔傛偆丄偲偄偆偙偲偵側傝傑偟偨偑丄幚嵺丄toot偵傑偝偵偦偺堄枴偑偁傞偺偱偡偹乕丅椶帡昞尰偲偟偰

Did you beef?

Did you fanny-burp? 乮偙傟丄妋偐偵偡偝傑偠偄偱偡乯

偍側傜僀僨傿僆儉戝壠偱偁傞丄俵愭惗偁傝偑偲偆偛偞偄傑偟偨丅傑偩傑偩懕偒傑偡両

 

A: This room is smelly. Did you toot?

偙偺晹壆廘偄偹丅孨偍側傜偟偨丠

B: What? How dare you say such a thing!

偼偀丠偦傫側偙偲丄傛偔尵偆偹両

A: Sorry, I apologize.

偛傔傫丄偁傗傑傞傛丅

 

 

 

仠Did you open the lunchbox?

僋僀僘丗偳偆偄偆堄枴偱偟傚偆丠

 

A: Someone opened the lunchbox here!

偩傟偐丄偍側傜偟偨側丅

B: I didn't.

偄偄偊丅

C: I didn't either.

巹傕偟偰側偄丅

B,C: He who smelt it dealt it.

尵偄弌偟偭傌偑丄偟偨恖偩偭偰偄偆傛偹丅

 

 

 

仠Did you pass gas?

偍側傜偟偨丠

 

偦偺傎偐椶帡昞尰偲偟偰

Did you blow wind? (僲乕儅儖偱偡偹乯

Did you let(cut)one?乮沀嬋乯

Did you have any gas today? 乮昦堾偱暦偐傟傑偡偹乯

 

A: Hello. How are you feeling today?

偙傫偵偪偼丅嬶崌偼偄偐偑偱偡偐丠

B: Well, I have a bloated feeling.

偊偊丄朿枮姶偑偁傝傑偟偰丅

A: Did you have any gas today?

僈僗偼弌傑偟偨偐丅

B: Oh,I have a lot of gas today.

崱擔偼丄偨偔偝傫弌傑偟偨丅

 

 

仠Who cut the cheese?

偩傟偑丄偍側傜偟偨丠

 

偙傟偼丄壒偑弌側偐偭偨応崌偵巊偄傑偡丅妋偐偵僠乕僘偺偵偍偄傪寵偆恖偄傑偡丅乮M偣傫偣傕巹傕乯偱丄傕偺偡偛偄廘偄偍側傜傪偡傞恖傪丄cheese cutter偲尵偄傑偡丅

 

A: Oh, no. Who cut the cheese?

偁傜丄傗偩丅偩傟偑偍側傜偟偨偺丠

B: Sorry.

偛傔乕傫丅

A: Not again! Somebody open the window, please!

傑偨丄偁傫偨両丂偩傟偐丄憢傪偁偗偰丄偍婅偄両

 

 

仠Who stepped on the frog?

偩傟偑偍側傜偟偨丠

 

奮傪摜傫偩傜丄偒偭偲乽傇乕乿偲偐尵偆偐傜偱偟傚偆偐丅偱傕偐傢偄偦偆偩偐傜丄帋偟偵丄側傫偰偼巚偄傑偣傫両

 

A:Who stepped on the frog?

崱偺偍側傜偩傟丠

B: I didn't hear anything. I guess you did.

壗傕暦偙偊側偐偭偨偗偳丅孨偩傠丅

 

俵愭惗丄摿廤偟傑偟偨両偛巜摫偁傝偑偲偆偛偞偄傑偟偨m(_ _)m

 

 

仠sing one's own praises

帺夋帺巀偡傞

懠偵壒妝偵娭楢偡傞摨偠堄枴偺僀僨傿僆儉偱丄

blow one's (own) horn =丂儔僢僷傪柭傜偡乮帺枬偡傞乯偑偁傝傑偡丅

棤榖丗嵟弶 toot one's own horn 偲彂偒傑偟偨偑丄俵愭惗傛傝乽偍側傜傪楢憐偝偣傞乿偲偺巜揈傪庴偗偰丄側傞傎偳丄偲blow偵曄偊偨師戞偱偡丅俵愭惗偁傝偑偲偆偛偞偄傑偟偨m(_ _)m

偪側傒偵丄偍側傜亖poot丂側傞傎偳丄帡偰傞両両両(^o^)

 

A: Did Emily show you her poem about her love?

僄儈儕乕丄偁側偨偵斵彈偺楒恖偵偮偄偰偺帊傪尒偣偨丠

 

B: Not only me. You know, she likes to sing her own praises. Everyone in the class had to read it.

巹偩偗偠傖側偄傢傛丅偟偭偰傞偱偟傚丄帺夋帺巀偑摼堄側傫偩偐傜丅僋儔僗偺慡堳偑撉傑偝傟偨傢傛丅

 

A: She says her latest work is the best poem ever in her life, and that she must contribute it to a magazine.

斵彈偵傛傞偲偁偺嶌昳偑嵟崅偺弌棃傜偟偔偰丄嶨帍偵搳峞偡傞傫偩偭偰丅

 

朰傟側偄偆偪偵儊儌偭偰偍偔偲丄偙偺idiom偼丄僌儔儈乕徿偵僲儈僱乕僩偝傟偨Alicia Keys 傾儕僔傾丒僉乕僘偺manager丠偑斵彈傪朖傔偪偓傞條巕傪揱偊偨僯儏乕僗偱巊傢傟偰傑偟偨丅

 

仠bottle up one's emotions

姶忣傪墴偟嶦偡丂 emotionsfeelings偵偟偰傕摨偠偱偡偹丅anger偵偡傞偲丄搟傝傪梷偊傞丅

 

A: My wife started working part time.

嵢偑彮偟巇帠傪巒傔偨傫偩丅

B: That's good news.

偦傟偼椙偐偭偨偹丅

A: No, it's bad news. At work, she says she has to bottle up her emotions. So she takes out her stress on the family.

椙偔側偄傫偩丅怑応偱姶忣傪墴偟嶦偝側偒傖側傜側偄傜偟偄丅偦傟偱壠懓偵摉偨傝嶶傜偡傫偩丅

B: I know how she feels. It'll be tough at first.

斵彈偺婥帩偪傢偐傞丅嵟弶偼戝曄偩偐傜偹丅

 

仠the best course of action

嵟慞偺曽朄丂俆扨岅堦弿偵妎偊偪傖偄傑偟傚(*^_^*)

 

A: The world has decided to take action to prevent global warming.

悽奅偼抧媴壏抔壔傪怘偄巭傔傞偨傔偺峴摦偵弌傞傛丅

B: Yes, without the United States. President Bush said something like, "The best course of action for the United States is to walk away from the Kyoto treaty.

偦偆丄傾儊儕僇側偟偱偹丅僽僢僔儏偝傫偼偙傫側偙偲尵偭偨傛丄乽変乆偵偲偭偰堦斣椙偄慖戰偼嫗搒媍掕彂偵攚傪岦偗傞偙偲偩乿

A: How egotistical.

側傫偰帺暘彑庤側丅

 

仠under duress

嫮惂偝傟偰丂丂偄傠偄傠昞尰偡傞偙偲偑偱偒傑偡丅

work under duress (嫮惂揑偵摥偐偝傟傞乯

confess under duress乮嫮梫偝傟偰帺敀偡傞乯

buy under duress乮柍棟栴棟攦傢偝傟傞乯

 

A: I'm broke. Could you buy me lunch?

偍嬥偑側偄傛丅偍拫偍偛偭偰偔傟側偄丠

B: No way! But what happened?

傗偩傛両偱傕偳偆偟偨偺丠

A: I bought her an expensive wristwatch under duress.

柍棟栴棟丄崅偄帪寁傪斵彈偵攦傢偝傟偨傫偩丅

B: Not again. You must tell her that you are not made of money.

傑偨偐丅斵彈偵乽杔偼嬥偺側傞栘偠傖側偄乿偭偰尵傢側偒傖丅

 

仠telescopic umbrella

愜傝偨偨傒嶱丂丂telescopic偼怢弅帺嵼偺丄偲偄偆堄枴偑偁傞偺偱乮嵟嬤抦傝傑偟偨両乯telescopic antenna乮怢弅帺嵼傾儞僥僫乯 telescopic arm乮怢弅傾乕儉乯telescopic tripod 乮怢弅嶰媟乯側偳偲岅渂偑峀偑傝傑偡(^o^)

 

A: Do you want to see my new bag?

巹偺怴偟偄僶僢僌尒偨偄丠

B: Sure. Well, it looks like an ordinary handbag to me.

傕偪傠傫丅偊乕偭偲丄晛捠偺僴儞僪僶僢僌偲堘偆偺丠

A: Here, look inside. There are five pockets for a cellular, pens, business cards, pills, and a telescopic umbrella.

偙偙丄撪懁尒偰丅実懷丄儁儞丄柤帉丄栻丄愜傝偨偨傒嶱梡偺億働僢僩偲丄俆偮億働僢僩偑偁傞偺丅

B: Gee, it sure is functional. Where did you get it?

傊乕丄妋偐偵婡擻揑丅偳偙偱攦偭偨偺丠

 

仠one of a kind

撈摿側丂斾椶側偄 丂丂恖偵傕暔偵傕巊偊傑偡丅

 

A: So what's so special about this car?

偱丄偙偺幵偺嵟戝偺摿挜偼丠

B: Well, Mr. Okamura, this hybrid's fuel efficiency is one of a kind!

偦傟偼偱偡偹丄壀懞條丄偙偺僴僀僽儕僢僪偺擱旓偺傛偝偼懠偵椶傪尒傑偣傫丅

A: Hmm. It's compact and stylish, too. OK, I'll take it.

偆傓丅彫宆偱丄僗僞僀儖傕偄偄偟丅傛偟丄偙傟偵偟傛偆丅

B: Thank you very much. You really have an eye for a quality car!

偁傝偑偲偆偛偞偄傑偡丅偝偡偑偼偍栚偑崅偄両

 

仠run counter to

乣偵媡峴偡傞

 

A: Did you know that X-shi allows its citizens to throw everything in one plastic bag?

X巗偱偼丄側傫偱傕堦弿偔偨偵幪偰偰偄偄傫偩偭偰丅

B: You're pulling my leg! No separation of trash at all? That runs counter to today's trend of environmental protection.

偆偦両暘暿慡慠偟側偔偰偄偄偺丠崱偺娐嫬曐岇偵媡峴偡傞偠傖側偄丅

A: They say they have a very high-tech trash separation system.

偡偛偄僴僀僥僋偺暘暿僔僗僥儉偑偁傞傜偟偄丅

B: Really? Well, that saves a lot of trouble, but people can't have an awareness of the importance of recycling...

杮摉丠偆乕傫丄柺搢偑柍偔側傞偩傠偆偗偳丄儕僒僀僋儖偵懳偡傞堄幆偑寚擛偟偪傖偆傫偠傖側偄偺丅

 

仠breathe new life into

乣偵怴晽乮怴偟偄懅悂乯傪悂偒崬傓

 

A: Some local junior high schools have announced that they are going to hire their principals from the private sector.

抧尦偺拞妛峑偑丄柉娫偐傜峑挿傪嵦梡偡傞偭偰偝丅

B: That's a good idea. They will breathe new life into public education.

偦傟偼偄偄峫偊偩丅斵傜偑怴偟偄懅悂傪嫵堢偵悂偒崬傓傫偩丅

A: Hmm. Time will tell.

偆乕傫丅偪傚偭偲帪娫偑昁梫偐側丅

 

仠out of touch with reality

尰幚棧傟偟偰偄傞

 

A: Did you hear that the government is going to support matchmaking agencies?

惌晎偑墢慻傒婇嬈傊偺墖彆傪巒傔傞偭偰丄暦偄偨丠

B: Sure I did. As many people say, Mr. Koizumi is out of touch with reality for doing that.

暦偒傑偟偨偲傕丅懠偺恖傕尵偆傛偆偵丄庱憡偼尰幚棧傟偟偰偄傞傛丅

A: People choose not to marry or have children because of economic reasons.

恖乆偼宱嵪揑棟桼偐傜寢崶偟側偐偭偨傝丄巕嫙傪帩偨側偐偭偨傝偡傞偺偵偹丅

B: Yeah, the government should use the money to increase benefits for having children.

偦偆偦偆丄惌晎偼偦傫側偍嬥偱丄惗傑傟偨巕嫙偵懳偟偰媼晅嬥傪暐偊偽偄偄偺傛丅

 

仠stock up on

攦偄偩傔偡傞丂偨偭傉傝梡堄偡傞

 

A: Snowstorm is on its way, Kevin.

悂愥偑嬤偯偄偰偄傞傢傛丄働價儞丅

B: I know. That's why I've stocked up on necessities.

抦偭偰偄傞偝丅偩偐傜昁廀昳傪攦偄崬傫偩傫偩丅

A: What's that?

側偵偝丅

B: Bunch of popcorn, potato chips, ice cream and so on.

億僢僾僐乕儞偵丄億僥僩僠僢僾僗丄傾僀僗僋儕乕儉偲偐偝丅

A: So we'll be couch potatoes over the weekend!

廡枛偼僇僂僠億僥僩懓偵側傜側偔偰偼側傜側偄偺偹丅

仠take off

偆傑偔偄偔丂婳摴偵忔傞丂攧傝忋偘偑怢傃傞

 

A: I've decided to quit my main job.

杮怑傪傗傔傞偙偲偵偟偨傛丅

B: What do you mean by "main job"?

杮怑丄偭偰偳偆偄偆偙偲丠

A: For a couple of years, I've been selling a new type of English learning gadget online.

偙偙俀擭偔傜偄夋婜揑側塸岅妛廗婡婍傪僱僢僩偱攧偭偰偄偨傫偩丅

B: I see. You quit the company because your side business took off.

偦偆丅暃嬈偑婳摴偵忔偭偨偺偱丄夛幮傪帿傔傞偭偰傢偗偹丅

 

仠lose ground

悐偊傞丂晧偗傞丂抧埵傪幐偆

 

A: I haven't seen many Japanese cars here in Seoul.

僜僂儖偱偼丄偁傑傝擔杮偺幵尒偰側偄傛丅

B: Yeah, I heard Japanese carmakers are losing ground to American automakers.

擔杮偺儊乕僇乕偼傾儊儕僇偵晧偗偰偄傞偭偰尵偆偠傖側偄丅

A: Really? Well, Japan must do something to attract Asian customers.

杮摉丠擔杮偼傾僕傾偱攧傟傞傛偆偵傕偭偲壗偐偟側偒傖偹丅

 

仠no-brainer

娙扨側偙偲丂偁傎丄傑偸偗乮恖傪巜偡応崌乯

 

A: Why do you know that I like you?

偳偆偟偰杔偑孨傪岲偒偩偲偄偆偙偲偑傢偐傞偺丠

B: That's a no-brainer. You keep looking at me in class.

摎偊偼娙扨丅庼嬈拞巹偺偙偲傪偢偭偲尒偰傞偠傖側偄丅

A: Do I?

偦偆丠

 

塮夋乽偣偐偪傘偆乿偱丄掔杊偺応柺偱巊傢傟偰偄傑偟偨丅偙偺応柺偼巹偺憐憸丅

 

仠rat on someone

偮偘岥偡傞乮偄傢備傞乽偪偔傞乿乯岥岅偱偡丅丂棤愗傞

 

A: I've seen you riding a motorcycle to school.

妛峑偵僶僀僋偱棃偨偺丄尒偨偙偲偁傞傢傛丅

B: So?

偩偐傜丠

A: It's against the rule.

峑懃堘斀偱偟傚丅

B: You're going to rat on me?

偪偔傞偺丠

 

rat on偼乽悽奅偺拞怱偱垽傪偝偗傇乿塮夋斉偱忋偺傛偆側暥柆偱巊傢傟偰偄偨昞尰偱偟偨丅

 

仠smooth sailing

弴挷丂弴晽枮斂丂傕偲傕偲柍帠側峲奀傪婩傞偲偒偺僼儗乕僘偱偡丅

 

A: At first it seemed smooth sailing.

嵟弶偼弴挷偵峴偔偐偲尒偊偨偗偳丅

B: I knew from day one that America's intervention would infuriate some insurgents.

杔偼嵟弶偐傜丄傾儊儕僇偺夘擖偼斀棎孯偺搟傝傪攦偆偭偰巚偭偰偄偨丅

A: But we've reached the point of no return. Let's keep our fingers crossed for the Iraqi people.

偱傕傕偆屻栠傝偼弌棃側偄傫偩偐傜丄僀儔僋偺恖偨偪偺偨傔偵暯榓傪婩傝傑偟傚偆丅

 

柧偗傑偟偰偍傔偱偲偆偛偞偄傑偡両嵟弶偐傜偪傚偭偲僿價乕偱偡偹丒丒丒峠敀壧崌愴偺偝偩傑偝偟偝傫偺壧偵巋寖偝傟傑偟偨丅<sob>

 

仠fight off

婑偣晅偗側偄丂乣傪偙傜偊傞

悋杺偲摤偆丂昦婥偲摤偆丂乮偄傠偄傠側乯徴摦傪梷偊傞

 

A: I heard you succeeded in quitting smoking cold turkey!

偒偭傁傝偨偽偙巭傔偨傫偩偭偰丠

B: Yeah, for the first three months I had to fight the urge to smoke, but after that, it was smooth sailing!

偆傫丄嵟弶偺嶰儢寧偼徴摦傪梷偊傞偺偑戝曄偩偭偨偗偳丄屻偼弴挷偩偭偨丅

A: Good for you! I have to tip my hat to you.

傛偐偭偨偹両婱曽偺搘椡偵宧楃両

 

仠throw oneself at

敆傞丂婥傪堷偔

暥帤捠傝懱摉偨傝偱偡偹丅偺応崌傕憺偟傒偺応崌傕丒丒丒

塮夋丂Love actually 偵搊応偟偨儈傾偑儃僗偵懳偟偰丂傑偝偵丄She threw herself at her boss.偱偟偨丅

 

A: Do you like a person like Mia?

儈傾傒偨偄側恖岲偒丠

B: No way! I hated her when she threw herself at her married boss.

傗偩傛丅婛崶偺忋巌偵敆偭偨帪偼丄傕偆偄傗傫側偭偪傖偨丅

 

仠be big on

乣偑岲偒丂乣偺擬嫸揑僼傽儞

偙傟傪斲掕暥偱巊偭偰丄乽偦傟傎偳岲偒偠傖側偄乿偲巊傢傟傞僲傪椙偔暦偒傑偡丅

 

A: I have two tickets for the rock concert.

椺偺儘僢僋僐儞僒乕僩偺僠働僢僩偑擇枃偁傞傫偩偗偳丅

B: Sorry, I'm not big on rock music.

偛傔傫丄儘僢僋偼摼堄偠傖側偔偰偹丅

A: OK, I'll try Yoshiko.

偦偭丄偠傖岲巕傪桿偍偆丅

 

仠lay a hand on someone

扤偐傪傇偮丂彎偮偗傞

 

A: I want to make one thing clear to you.

堦偮偼偭偒傝偝偣傑偟傚偆丅

B: What?

壗丠

A: If you ever lay a hand on my boy, I'll call the police.

傕偟丄偆偪偺懅巕傪彎偮偗傛偆傕偺側傜丄寈嶡傪屇傃傑偡丅

B: OK.

傢偐偭偨丅

 

塮夋偺堦僔乕儞偐傜庢傝忋偘傑偟偨丅

 

仠turn on someone

棤愗傞丂

乽帞偄將偵庤傪偐傑傟傞乿偲偄偆situation偱傕傛偔巊傢傟傑偡丅

 

A: Why the long face?

偳偆偟偰晜偐側偄婄傪偟偰偄傞傫偩偄丠

B: You know, Shota, he quit the company and joined

the Delta.

隳懢丄偄傞偩傠偆丄偁偄偮夛幮傪傗傔偰僨儖僞幮偵擖偭偨傫偩丅

A: No way. I know how you feel.

偆偦丅婥帩偪傢偐傞傛丅

B: I thought he would never turn on me.

斵偵棤愗傜傟傞偲偼巚偭偰傕尒側偐偭偨傛丅

 

 

仠set in one's ways

帺暘偺傗傝曽偵屌幏偟偰偄傞

婃屌側恖傪偝偟偰傛偔尵偄傑偡偹丅

 

A: We need a drastic change in our corporate culture.

幮晽傪戝暆偵曄偊側偄偲偹丅

B: Yes, all the information on our earnings needs to be out in the open.

偦偆丄廂塿偺忣曬偼偡傋偰岞偵偟偰峴偐側偒傖丅

A: If only those old executives were not set in their ways.

偁偺屆姅栶堳払偑帺暘偨偪偺傗傝曽偵嬅傝屌傑偭偰側偗傟偽偄偄傫偩偗偳偹丅

 

仠a bad influence on each other

屳偄偵埆塭嬁傪梌偊偁偆

傆偞偗偰乽巹偨偪埆桭摨巑乿偲尵偄偨偄偲偒偵巊偊傑偡丅

 

A: It was a nice concert. Now let's go for a drink.

B: Let's go home. We have a test tomorrow.

A: You're the one that talked me into going out!

B: Now I understand why our friends say that you and I are a bad influence on each other.

 

仠load off one's mind

嫻傪側偱壓傠偡丂傎偭偲偡傞

 

A: Are you OK!? I couldn't reach you for a couple of days, I thought you were injured in the earthquake.

戝忎晇丠擇擔娫偔傜偄楢棈偑庢傟側偐偭偨偐傜丄抧恔偱偗偑偱傕偟偨偺偱偼側偄偐偲巚偭偰偄偨傛丅

B: Oh, thanks. Telephone line was temporarily unavailable. I'm all in one piece.

偁傝偑偲偆丅揹榖偑偮側偑傜側偐偭偨偺丅傄傫傄傫偟偰偄傞傛丅

A: That's a load off my mind. I can sleep well tonight.

傎偭偲偟偨丅崱擔偼傛偔柊傜傟傞傛丅

 

A lot of people must have had conversations like this after the Chuetsu earthquake. My heart goes to those who were affected by the calamity.

Thanks for your concern, hiro-san, Miyano sensei and the other kind readers.

 

 

 

仠bubble over

偼偟傖偖丄傢偔傢偔偡傞

Professor Miyano 偑嫵偊偰偔傟傑偟偨両

 

A: I heard your team cut a deal with HomeMade Company. Congratulations!

B: Well, we have no time to bubble over. There are several

companies that are interested in us.

A: You're real go-getters!

 

A:儂乕儉儊乕僪幮偲宊栺傪寢傫偩傫偩偭偰丠偍傔偱偲偆丅

B:偆傫丄偱傕晜偐傟偰偄傞応崌偱偼側偄傫偩丅傑偩変偑幮偵嫽枴傪帩偭偰偄傞婇嬈偑偁偭偰偹丅

A: 孨偨偪偼慡偔傗傝庤偩偹丅

 

Miyano-sense, thanks for reminding me of the updating. I'll write the rest tomorrow! Sleepyhead is going to bed.

 

 

仠footloose and fancy free

傑偭偨偔帺桼偱丄壗偺惂栺傕柍偔偰丄撈恎偱婥妝偱

footloose偼偙偺僞僀僩儖偺塮夋偐傜妎偊偰偄傑偟偨偑丄偙偺傛偆偵fancy free(fancy-free)偲偲傕偵堦偮偺僼儗乕僘偲偟偰巊傢傟偰偄傞偺偼崱擔丄怴暦偱抦傝傑偟偨丅

 

A: Sorry, I have to leave now. My family must be starving.

偛傔傫丄傕偆婣傜側偒傖丅壠懓偑婹偊巰偵偡傞偲偙傠偩偐傜丅

B: Oh, I see. Bye now.

傢偐偭偨丄偠傖偹丅

C: Let's go to another place. It's good to be footloose and fancy free.

偝偁丄傕偆堦尙峴偙偆丅巹傜壗偺惂栺傕側偔偰偄偄傛偹丅

 

仠in one's element

杮椞傪敪婗偟偰丂摼堄暘栰偱

 

A: No one can make a meal as delicious as you.

偩傟傕偁側偨傒偨偄偵偍偄偟偄椏棟傪嶌傟側偄傢丅

B: Thanks. I'm glad when my guests are happy.

偁傝偑偲偆丅偍媞偝傫偑婌傫偱偔傟傞偲偆傟偟偄丅

A: You're in your element when you're entertaining people.

恖傪傕偰側偟偰偄傞帪丄偁側偨杮摉偵惗偒惗偒偟偰偄傞傢偹丅

 

 

仠take something to another level

壗偐傪暿偺師尦偵帩偭偰偔傞丂

 

偙偺乽壗偐乿偵偼丄relationship, humor, acting, science fiction, thriller, English class...壗偱傕擖傞偺偱偼丠

 

A: Your house is always neat and you're a good cook, too.

B: You see, I AM good at housekeeping. I'm so good that I can give lectures on how to be a perfect housekeeper.

A: I'll never be like you. You certainly took being a housewife to another level.

 

A: 偁側偨偺壠丄偄偮傕偒傟偄偩偟丄偍傑偗偵偁側偨偼椏棟傕忋庤丅

B: 偱偟傚偆丅巹丄壠帠偑偡偭偛偔偆傑偄偺偱丄乽姰帏側壠帠乿偵偮偄偰島墘傕偟偰偄傞偺丅

A: 偁側偨傒偨偄偵偼愨懳側傟側偄丅娫堘偄側偔壠帠傪暿偺師尦偵帩偭偰偄偭偨傢偹丅

 

A-san=me.

 

仠at the drop of a hat

偨偪傑偪丂偡偖偝傑丂崌恾堦偮偱

 

A: Do you think the jury will find him guilty?

攩怰堳偼桳嵾偺寛掕傪弌偡偐側丅

B: Well, if only many of them knew he is quite an actor.

偆乕傫丄斵傜偺戝晹暘偑丄梕媈幰偑栶幰偩偭偰偙偲偵婥偯偄偰偄傟偽偄偄偗偳丅

A: Right. They say he can shed tears for the slain wife at the drop of a hat.

偦偆丅偁偺恖丄崌恾堦偮偱嶦奞偝傟偨墱條偺偨傔偵椳傪棳偣傞傜偟偄偠傖側偄丅

 

One reporter used this expression today on CNN. He was describing a man who has been suspected of killing his wife...Sorry for being a gossipy obasan.

 

 

force of habit

懩惈丂廗姷

 

A: What are you doing?

壗偟偰偄傞偺丠

B: Oh, I'm washing the dirt from my hands and face.

偊丄婄偲庤傪愻偭偰偒傟偄偵偟偰偄傞傫偩傛丅

A: But we were just out for an hour.

偱傕傎傫偺堦帪娫弌偐偗偰偄偨偩偗偩傛丅

B: Well, force of habit, I guess.

偁偁丄巹偼廗姷偱偙傟傪偟側偔偪傖偄偗側偄偺丅

 

We should follow B-san's lead! Cleanliness is the key to longevity!!

 

 

 

 

仠at some point

偁傞帪揰偱丂偁傞帪婜偵

at some point in her life, at some point next year, at some point this year 側偳偄傠偄傠巊偊偰曋棙偩偲巚偄傑偡丅

 

A: Takamisakari looks as high-spirited as ever today.

崅尒惙偼崱擔傕挘傝愗偭偰偄傞偹丅

B: Yeah, but...he lost again.

偆傫丄偱傕丄晧偗偪傖偭偨丅

A: He has lots of skills. I hope he'll realize his potential at some point in this tournament.

斵偼媄弍偼偁傞傫偩丅偙偺応強偺偳偙偐偱幚椡傪敪婗偟偰偔傟傞偙偲傪婅偆傛丅

 

 

仠buckle down

杮婥偱庢傝慻傓丂愱擮偡傞丂杮婥傪弌偡

僶僢僋儖偺傛偆側嬥嬶偱巭傔偰丄偄偞弌敪偲偄偆姶偠偱偟傚偆偐丠

 

A: You haven't updated "Today's Idiom" pages for ages.

偁側偨丄偙偺偲偙傠偙偺儁乕僕峏怴偟偰側偄偠傖側偄丅

B: You know, "Time flies." Let me buckle down and work harder.

帪娫偑摝偘偰偄偔姶妎丄傢偐傝傑偡丠偙偺傊傫偱偟偭偐傝偟傑偡偺偱丒丒丒

 

Wow! 傕偆9寧敿偽両

 

仠take a leap

巚偄愗偭偰峴摦偡傞丂

take a leap偼僕儍儞僾偡傞偲偄偆堄枴傕偁傝傑偡偑丄偦偙偐傜丄僄僀傗乕偭偲偽偐傝挧愴偡傞丄偲偄偆僯儏傾儞僗傪姶偠傑偡丅

 

A: I am still wondering.

傑偩柪偭偰偄傞偺丅

B: It's now or never, if you ask me.

巹偵尵傢偣偨傜丄崱偟偐側偄丅

A: OK! I'll take a leap and buy a ticket to New York.

傢偐偭偨両巚偄愗偭偰僯儏乕儓乕僋峴偒偺僠働僢僩傪攦偆丅

B: That's the spirit. You're going to be a great dancer.

偦偺堄婥丅慺惏傜偟偄僟儞僒乕偵側傞傛丅

 

偄偄側乕丄僟儞僒乕廋嬈丅

 

仠right on the money

偦偺捠傝両丂傕偭偲傕偩丂揑拞偱偁傞

 

A: You look gorgeous today. Let me see...I get it. You have a date.

偁傜丄崱擔丄偲偭偰傕慺揋丅偆乕傫丒丒丒傢偐偭偨丄僨乕僩偱偟傚丅

B: Right on the money!

偁偭偨傝丅

 

仠A square peg in a round hole

偆傑偔揔崌偟側偄丂偙傫側晽偵巊偊傑偡傛偹伀Hiro偝傫丄偳偆傕偁傝偑偲偆偛偞偄傑偡両

 

A: I don't want to go to work.

巇帠峴偒偨偔側偄丅

B: If you feel you're "a square peg" and your job is a round hole, you'd better find a new job.

傕偟丄偁側偨偑巐妏偄偔偄偱丄巇帠偑娵偄寠偩偲姶偠傞側傜丄怴偟偄巇帠傪尒偮偗傟偽丠

A: You are understanding today!

崱擔偼棟夝偑偁傞偹両

B: Of course, I don't want job stress to ruin your health.

偦偆偩傛丅巹偼偁側偨偵巇帠偺僗僩儗僗偐傜寬峃傪奞偟偰傕傜偄偨偔側偄偐傜丅

 

仠take a dive

敧昐挿偱丄傑偗傞丂媫棊偡傞

媫棊偡傞丄偲偄偆堄枴偼抦偭偰偄傑偟偨偑丄敧昐挿偱傑偗傞偲偐丄傢偞偲戝偘偝偵傑偗傞丄偲偄偆偺偼丄

偮偄嵟嬤傒偨塮夋,Quiz Show偱昿斏偵弌偰偒偨偺偱妎偊傑偟偨丅

 

A: Do you think fixed games are common in any sports?

敧昐挿偭偰偳傫側僗億乕僣偵傕偁傞偲巚偆丠

B: I'm afraid so, even in the Sumo world.

偦偆偐傕偹丅憡杘偵傕偁傞偭偰榖丅

A: How did you know?

偳偆偟偰暘偐傞偺丠

B: A former Sumo wrestler testified that he once took a dive.

尦椡巑偑帺暘偑傗偭偨偙偲偑偁傞丄偰徹尵偟偨傫偩丅

A: I don't buy that.

偆偦乕丅

 

 

仠over the top

乣偟偡偓丂戝偘偝

昞尰偑戝偘偝側偲偒偵丄...it's a little over the top偲偄偄傑偡丅

 

A: You gave him a black eye?

斵偺柺栚傪娵偮傇偟偵偟偨傫偩偭偰丠

B: Yes, I got so angry at his behavior.

偦偆偝丄偁偨傑偵偒偪傖偨偐傜丅

A: But you went over the top this time

偦傟偼傗傝偡偓両

 

仠a slam-dunk (victory)

埑彑丂尒帠偵彑偮

埨妝巰傪擣傔傞僆儗僑儞廈偑丄慽徸偱彑棙傪摼偨丄偲偄偆婰帠偵victory傪偮偗偰巊傢傟偰偄傑偟偨丅側傞傎偳丄偲彂偒棷傔偨師戞偱偡丅a slam-dunk偩偗偱victory傪帵偟傑偡丅

 

A: Do you think Mr. Koizumi did a good job?

彫愹偝傫偼傛偄巇帠傪偟偨偲巚偆丠

B: Well, as he brought the five family members of the abductees back to Japan, we can say he's achieved a measure of success.

旐奞幰偺壠懓傪楢傟偰婣偭偨偐傜偁傞掱搙偺惉岟偲偄偭偰偄偄偹丅

A: Yeah, but it was anything but a slam-dunk.

偱傕埑彑偲偼傎偳墦偄傛偹丅

B: Right. He is now under pressure to bring back other missing Japanese.

慡偔偩丅懠偺徚懅晄柧偺擔杮恖傕楢傟偰偙側偔偰偼偹丅

 

仠have a way with people

恖偯偒偁偄偑偆傑偄

塮夋僷僢僠丒傾僟儉僗偱丄僷僢僠偺儖乕儉儊乕僩偑丄偆傜傗傑偟偦偆偵僷僢僠偵偙偆尵偭偨応柺偑朰傟傜傟傑偣傫丅

 

A: Hey, what's the matter with you? You seem depressed.

偍偄丄偳偆偟偨偺丅棊偪崬傫偱傞傒偨偄偩偗偳丅

B: I've been thinking that I would be better off if I were like you.

孨傒偨偄側惈奿偩偭偨傜傛偐偭偨偺偵側丄偭偰偢偭偲峫偊偰偄傞傫偩丅

A: What are you talking about?

偄偭偨偄壗傪尵偭偰偄傞偺偝丅

B: You have a way with people, and I don't.

孨偼丄恖偲愙偡傞偺偑偆傑偄偗偳丄傏偔偼偩傔丅

 

仠against the odds

梊憐偵斀偟偰

odds 偼偄偮傕暋悢宍偱丄壜擻惈丄彑嶼傪堄枴偟傑偡丅

 

A: Listen, my husband finally kicked the smoking habit!

暦偄偰丄偆偪偺偩傫側丄僞僶僐傪傗傔偨偺丅

B: No kidding! How did a chain smoker like him quit cold turkey

偆偦乕両偁傫側僿價乕僗儌乕僇乕偑偳偆傗偭偰偒偭傁傝傗傔傜傟傞偺丠

A: Nicotine patch, against the odds, but it worked!

僯僐僠儞僷僢僠偑偹丄梊憐偵斀偟偰岠偄偨偺傛丅

 

 

 

仠a handful

庤偵晧偊側偄巕嫙丂傗傫偪傖側巕

 

A: I envy you for having such nice little girls.

偙傫側傛偄柡偝傫傪帩偭偰偄傜偟偰傗偗傞傢丅

B: Oh, I envy you for having such bright boys.

偁傜丄偁側偨偙偦偙傫側尗偄抝偺巕偑偄傜偟偰偄偄傢丅

A: They are all real handful for me.

偙偺巕偨偪丄巹偺庤偵晧偊側偄偔傜偄傗傫偪傖側傫偱偡丅

 

仠bow to

孅偡傞丂傌偙傌偙偡傞

bow偼偍偠偓傪偡傞丄偲偄偆堄枴偱傛偔抦傜傟偰偄傑偡偑

偙偆偄偆堄枴傕抦偭偰偍偔偲巊偊偰曋棙偱偡丅

 

A: I'm tired of bowing to my boss! He is nothing!!

壽挿偵儁僐傌僐偡傞側傫偰丄傑偭傄傜偩両丂偁傟偼僇僗偩両両

B: You drank a little too much.

堸傒夁偓偨傒偨偄偩偹丅

A: And I'm sick of the Japanese Government bowing to the United States.

擔杮惌晎偵傕偆傫偞傝偩丄傾儊儕僇偵傌偙傌偙偟傗偑偭偰丅

B: Oh, I agree with you on that point.

偁丄偦傟偵偮偄偰偼摨堄尒丅

 

be in stiches

戝徫偄偡傞丂徫偄偙偗傞

 

a stitch 偼堦朌偄偱偡偹丅be in stitches 偱側偤偐徫偄偙偗傞偲偄偆堄枴偵側傝傑偡丅朌偄栚偩傜偗偍側偐偺旂偑傛偠傟傞姶偠偟傑偡偐丠

 

A: Did you watch "Enta no Kamisama" last night?

僄儞僞偺恄條丄嶐擔尒偨丠

B: Sure I did. I had a good laugh.

尒偨傛丅偍偐偟偐偭偨偹丅

A: My husband and I were in stitches! They're great.

晇晈偱暊偺旂偑傛偠傟偨傛丅斵傜傗傞偹丅

 

 

 

仠rip someone off

晄摉偵崅偄抣抜傪傆偭偐偗傞

rip-off丂傏偭偨偔傝

 

A: I didn't realize that the taxi fare between the airport and the hotel cost that much.

嬻峘偲儂僥儖偺娫偺僞僋僔乕塣捓偑偁傫側偵偐偐傞偲偼抦傜側偐偭偨葋B

B: How much did you pay?

偄偔傜暐偭偨偺丠

A: 130 dollars.

130僪儖偩偗偳丠

B: You got ripped off.

傏偭偨偔傝偩傛丅

 

仠Jack of all trades

壗偱傕偱偒傞恖丂傛傠偢壆

偙傟偵,master of none傪偮偗偰丄

Jack of all trades and master of none

懡寍偼柍寍丄婍梡昻朢偲偡傞応崌傕傛偔偁傝傑偡丅

 

A: I've been into scuba diving lately. My instructor said I was really good.

嵟嬤丄僗僉儏乕僶僟僀價儞僌偵偼傑偭偪傖偭偰丅僀儞僗僩儔僋僞乕偼偐側傝偄偄慄峴偭偰偄傞丄偭偰尵偭偰偄偨傢丅

B: Is that so? What are you going to learn this year?

杮摉丠崱擭偼壗傪巒傔傞偺丠

A: I've already started to learn how to use sign language.

I can show you what I've learned so far!

傕偆庤榖傪廗偭偰偄傞偺丅妎偊偨暘尒偣偰偁偘傛偆丠

B: You're a good cook and a good singer, too.

You really are a Jack of all trades!

椏棟傕偆傑偄偟丄壧傕偆傑偄偟偹丅壗偱傕偱偒傞傫偩偹丅

A: Well, my husband says I'm a master of none.

晇偼巹傪婍梡昻朢偭偰偄偆偺丅

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

仠hand in

採弌偡傞

submit傛傝傕岥岅揑偱丄妛峑偺採弌彂椶偱傕丄偍栶強偺彂椶偱傕偄偮偱傕巊偊傑偡丅

 

A:Where do I hand in this application?

偳偙偵偙偺怽惪彂傪採弌偡傟偽傛偄偱偟傚偆偐丅

B: Please go to window No. 4.

係斣偺憢岥偵峴偭偰偔偩偝偄丅

 

仠hindsight is 20/20

屻夨愭偵棫偨偢丂屻偩偐傜偄偊傞偙偲偩

20/20(twenty-twenty)偼傛偄帇椡乮擔杮偱偄偊偽1.5偔傜偄丠乯偺偙偲傪巜偟傑偡丅偮傑傝屻偐傜偄偆偙偲偼丄柧妋偵偦偺忬嫷偑傢偐傞丄偲偄偆偙偲偱偡偹丅

 

A: You told Mom that she could spend as much as she want on her new dress?

偍曣偝傫偵怴偟偄梞暈攦偆偺偵偄偔傜偱傕巊偭偰傕偄偄偭偰偄偭偨偺丠

B: Oh, I shouldn't have.

偁偁丄尵傢側偒傖傛偐偭偨丅

A: Mom is an expert at using your credit card, you know?

偍晝偝傫偺僋儗僕僢僩僇乕僪丄巊偄曻戣偩傛丅

B: I know, Kenji. Hindsight is 20/20.

傢偐偭偰偄傞傛丄寬擇丅屻夨愭偵棫偨偢丅

 

仠chip off the old block

巕嫙偑晝恊偵偦偭偔傝偱偁傞丂

塸帿榊偝傫偵岅尮偑偁傝傑偟偨丅屆偔偐傜偁傞僽儘僢僋乮亖栘偺夠亖壠宯傪帵偡僣儕乕峔憿乯偺僠僢僾乮偐偗傜乯巕偳傕偑晝恊偺惈奿傗奜尒偵帡偰偄傞偲偄偆偙偲偩偦偆偱偡丅

儔僀僆儞僉儞僌偺朻摢偱丄僾儞僶乮僀僲僔僔偠傖側偄曽丠乯偑僉傾儔傪僔儞僶偵偦偭偔傝偲偄偆偲偒偵巊偭偰傑偟偨丅

 

A: Look at you! How cute!

傑偁丄偙偺巕丄偐傢偄偄両

B: Thanks. He's chip off the old block.

偁傫偑偲丅晝恊偵偦偭偔傝側偺傛丅

A: Yes, he takes after your husband.

偦偆偹丄偁側偨偺扷撨偝傫帡偹丅

 

仠wear the pants

乮壠掚偱乯庡摫尃傪埇傞丂

 

A: I need to explain his medication plan. Who wears the pants in your family?

斵偺搳栻僾儔儞偵偮偄偰愢柧偡傞昁梫偑偁傝傑偡丅偩傟偑壠懓偱庡摫尃傪埇偭偰傑偡偐丠

B: My mother does.

巹偺曣偱偡丅

A: OK, I will instruct you and your mother on your son's medication.

偱偼丄婱曽偲丄婱曽偺偍曣條偵丄懅巕偝傫偺栻偵偮偄偰偺愢柧傪偟傑偡丅

 

傾儊儕僇恖摨巑偱幚嵺偟偰偄偨懳榖偱偡丅

 

仠wear off

乮捝傒側偳偑乯榓傜偖丂栚怴偟偝偑側偔側傞丂乮偐偐偲側偳乯偡傝尭傞

 

A: What does our boy want for his birthday?

偁偺巕偼壗傪抋惗擔偵梸偟偄傫偩偄丠

B: He wants a new bicycle badly.

怴偟偄帺揮幵偭偰尵偭偰偄傞傢丅

A: I thought he would want some of those Pokemon games.

億働儌儞僎乕儉偐偲巚偭偨丅

B: No, his excitment has worn off.

傕偆丄栚怴偟偝偑側偔側偭偨偺傛丅

 

 

仠full of life

尦婥堦攖

 

A: When I get tired out, I call my friend, Paula.

旀傟壥偰偨偲偒偼億乕儔偵揹榖偡傞偺丅

B: I see. Then you are heartened by her cheerful voice.

側傞傎偳丅偦偆偡傞偲尦婥側惡偵椼傑偝傟傞偭偰栿偩丅

A: Right. She's always full of life. I admire her.

偦偆丅偄偮傕惗偒惗偒偟偰偄傞傛偹丅偁偙偑傟傞傢丅

 

仠have a bone to pick

嬯忣傪尵偆丂彫尵傪尵偆

 

A: Mr. Yamamoto, please come to my office.

嶳杮孨丄巹偺僆僼傿僗偵棃偰偔偩偝偄丅

B: Certainly. I'll be there after I get this work done.

傢偐傝傑偟偨丅偙偺巇帠傪廔傢傜偣偰偐傜偱偄偄偱偡偐丠

C: Gee, it sounds like the boss has a bone to pick with you.

偁傝傖丄偪傚偭偲彫尵傪偄偄偨偦偆偩偹丄儃僗丅

 

 

make someone's day

乮偩傟偐傪乯戝婌傃偝偣傞丂乣偵偲偭偰婐偟偄擔偲側傞

 

A: You look different today. Did you change your make-up? Maybe you lost some weight. Or is it your new hairstyle...

Anyway, you are pretty.

崱擔丄偄偮傕偲堘偆傒偨偄丅偍壔徬曄偊偨丠傗偣偨偐側丅偦傟偲傕僿傾僗僞僀儖偺偣偄偐側丅偲偵偐偔偐傢偄偄傛丅

B: Why, thanks! You made my day!

偊乕丄偁傝偑偲偆両偆傟偟偄偙偲尵偭偰偔傟傞偹両

 

仠cut to the chase

僘僶儕杮戣偵偼偄傞丂扨搧捈擖偵尵偆

 

A: So can we do business with you?

偦傟偱丄偆偪偲庢堷偱偒傑偡偐丠

B: Let me cut to the chase. We must turn down your offer because your price is too high.

扨搧捈擖偵尵偄傑偟傚偆丅偍戭偺僆僼傽乕偼偍庴偗偱偒傑偣傫丅偲偰傕採帵壙奿偑崅偡偓傑偡丅

 

仠on the double

媫偄偱丂憱偭偰

 

A: Hello, police? I'm at .... Come over here on the double A kidnapper is in the bathroom!

寈嶡丠偙偙偼丒丒丒丅偡偖偵棃偰両桿夳斊偼崱僩僀儗偩偐傜両

B: We'll be there in 10 minutes. Hang on!

10暘偱拝偒傑偡丅婃挘偭偰両

 

仠follow someone's example

乮恖傪乯尒廗偆

 

A: I'm going to be a very kind father.

傏偔偼桪偟偄偍晝偝傫偵側傞丅

B: Oh, really? How?

杮摉丠偳傫側晽偵丠

A: I'm going to buy my son whatever he wants. And I will never hit my kids.

壗偱傕懅巕偑梸偟偄暔傪攦偭偰傗傞丅偦傟偵愨懳偨偨偐側偄丅

B: Are you sure?

偱偒傞丠

A: Of course. You should follow my example!

傕偪傠傫丅偍曣偝傫丄杔傪尒廗偭偨曽偑偄偄傛丅

 

崱擔偺堦擭惗偺懅巕偲偺夛榖傛傝丅乮偱傕偨偨偔偭偰偄偭偰傕側乕丄偦傫側偍偟傝傪傁傫傁傫偔傜偄偱乕(^_^;)

 

仠catch one's breath

堦懅偮偔丂屇媧傪惍偊傞丂偼偭偲懅傪偺傓

 

A: I've finished one of the assignments!

壽戣偑堦偮廔傢偭偨両

B: Me too. Let's catch our breath before working on the next one.

傢偨偟傕丅偝偰丄師偺壽戣偵庢傝偐偐傞慜偵堦懅偮偙偆丅

A: Yeah, let me bring something to drink.

偦偆偩偹丅偍傗偮偱傕帩偭偰偔傞傛丅

 

仠every now and then

偲偒偳偒丂

sometimes偺偐傢傝偵巊偭偰傒傑偟傚偆両

 

A: So you got used to life in this town?

傕偆丄偙偺挰偺曢傜偟偵姷傟偨丠

B: Yes. I miss the mild weather in my hometown every now and then,though.

偊偊丄偱傕帪乆屘嫿偺壏抔側婥岓偑楒偟偔側傞偺丅

 

仠turn off

榚摴偵偦傟傞丂姴慄摴楬傪偍傝傞丂乮僪儔僀僽僀儞側偳傊乯擖傞

揹婥傪徚偡丄偩偗偠傖側偄偱偡偹丅

 

A: I'm getting hungry.

偍暊嬻偄偰偒偨側丅

B: And you need to rest. Let's turn off at the next rest stop for lunch.

偦傟偵媥宔傕昁梫偩偹丅師偺僪儔僀僽僀儞偱偍拫偵偟傛偆丅

 

仠bring out one's appetite

怘梸傪憹偡丂stimulate偱傕偄偄偺偱偡偑丄偙偆偄偆婎杮摦帉傪巊偄偙側偟偨偄傕偺偱偡丅

 

A: I don't want to eat anything.

壗傕怘傋偨偔側偄傛丅

B: But you need to have some food to get better. How about adding some garlic It will help bring out your appetite.

偱傕昦婥傪帯偡偵偼壗偐怘傋側偒傖丅塀偟枴偵僯儞僯僋傪擖傟偰傒傛偆偐丅怘梸偑憹偡偐傕丅

A: Thanks. That's a good idea.

偁傝偑偲偆丅偦傟偼偄偄丅

 

 

仠hit the nail on the head

偳傫傄偟傖傝乮偙偆偄偄傑偣傫偐丠偁偨偭偨偲偒乯丂僘僶儕偦偺捠傝丅偍偭偟傖傞偲偍傝丅

This one is from hiro, too!

 

A: We must raise more profit. You may need to work overtime one hour or longer than you usually do.

傕偭偲棙塿傪忋偘側偔偰偼丅偙傟偐傜偼崱傛傝傕侾帪娫埲忋巆嬈偟偰傕傜偆丅

B: There are more important things to do. I think we should begin with minimizing the waste in this office.

傕偭偲偟側偔偰偼側傜側偄帠偑偁傝傑偡丅偨偲偊偽偙偺僆僼傿僗偺柍懯傪傑偢柍偔偡偙偲偑愭寛偱偟傚偆丅

C: Right on. You've hit the nail on the head.

偦偺偲偍傝丅僘僶儕惓偟偄丅

 

 

curry favor

偍傋偭偐傪偄偆丂偛婡寵傪偲傞

This one was contributed by hiro!

 

A: Look at Ken. I hate to see him currying favor with our section chief.

働儞傪尒偰傛丅壽挿偵偍傋偭偐巊偭偰傞偺傪傒傞偺丄傕偆偄傗丅

B: Everyone knows his motive. So does Mr. Kato.

斵偑壗傪偨偔傜傫偱偄傞偐傒傫側抦偭偰偄傞傛丅壽挿傕偠傖側偄丠

A: Promotion, right?

弌悽偱偟傚丅

 

仠come down with

昦婥偵偐偐傞

 

A: Where are you going on your honeymoon?

僴僱儉乕儞偼偳偙偵丠

B: We are going on an eco-tour in some African countries.

傾僼儕僇偱僄僐僣傾乕傪偡傞偺丅

A: That's very unusual. Aren't you afraid?

傔偢傜偟偄丅晄埨偼側偄偺丠

B: Why? We'll be careful not to come down with Malaria or yellow fever!

偳偆偟偰丠 儅儔儕傾偲偐墿擬昦側傫偐偵偐偐傜側偄偐傜偹丅

 

 

仠be on the move

朲偟偔摦偒夞傞丂搶杬惣憱偡傞

 

A: On the day before our wedding, Makoto came down with a cold.

寢崶幃偺慜擔偵惤偝傫丄晽幾傂偄偪傖偭偨偺丅

B: Likely story! He must've been on the move doing this and that.

傛偔偁傞偙偲偹丅側傫傗偐傫傗偱摦偒夞偭偰偨偐傜偱偟傚丅

A: I'm glad it's over.

壗偲偐廔傢偭偰傛偐偭偨丅

 

仠on one's toes

桘抐偟側偄偱丄婥傪敳偐側偄偱

 

A: Why are you watching TV?

偳偆偟偰僥儗價側傫偰尒偰傞偺丠

B: I've studied enough, so don't worry.

廫暘曌嫮偟偨偐傜丄戝忎晇丅

A: You can't study too hard. You'd better be on your toes.

I bet your friends are staying up late tonight.

曌嫮偟偡偓傞偭偰偙偲偼側偄偺丅桘抐偟側偄曽偑偄偄偲巚偆傛丅桭払偼傒傫側栭抶偔傑偱弨旛偟偰傞偵堘偄側偄傛丅

 

仠finger pointing

旕擄傪偡傞偙偲丂愑擟傪晧傢偣傞

 

point the finger at 恖丂(捛媦偡傞丄愑傔傞乯傪柤帉壔偟偨傕偺偱偡偹丅

 

A: Why didn't you lock the door before you left?

偳偆偟偰弌偐偗傞偲偒偵尞傪偐偗側偐偭偨偺丠

B: You said you would be back soon so...

偩偭偰偡偖丄孨偑婣傞偭偰偄偭偨偐傜丒丒丒

C: Stop finger pointing. From next time we'll be more careful. Let's call the police.

偙偙偱愑擟傪捛媦偟側偄偱丅師偐傜傒傫側偱婥傪偮偗傛偆丅寈嶡傪屇傃傑偟傚偆丅

 

仠hit the spot

怽偟暘側偔(怘傋傕偺丒堸傒暔乯偵枮懌

hiro偝傫丄Thanks!

偪傚偆偳怘傋偨偄(堸傒偨偄乯傕偺傪岥偵偟偨偲偒偵巊偄傑偡丅

壞偺弸偄帪偵椻偊偨傕偺傪堸傫偩嵺偵傛偔巊偆偺偐側偲巚偭偰偄傑偟偨偑丄breakfast偵從偒嫑傪弌偟偨偲偒偵傾儊儕僇恖偺偍媞條偑丄That hit the spot. (hit偼夁嫀宍乯偲偄偭偨偺傪妎偊偰偄傑偡丅

 

A: You look thirsty. How about some beer?

偺偳偑妷偄偰偄傞傒偨偄偹丅價乕儖偱傕堸傓丠

B: I'd rather have an orange juice. Thanks. (Drinking)Mmm...That hit the spot!

偄傗丄僆儗儞僕僕儏乕僗偑偄偄側丅偁傝偑偲偆丅偆乕傫偙傟偑堦斣両

 

仠cut off

拞抐偡傞丂抐偪愗傞丂夛榖側偳偑拞抐偡傞丂傎偐

姩摉偡傞丄幾杺偡傞側偳傕偁傝傑偡偹丅

 

A: I'm in trouble.

偙傑偭偨丅

B: What's the matter?

偳偆偟偨偺丅

A: My father said he'd cut off my allowance unless I quit my nightclub job.

僫僀僩僋儔僽偺巇帠傗傔側偄偲巇憲傝偼抐偪愗傞偭偰丅

B: You'd better find a better part-time job.

傕偭偲傑偲傕側僶僀僩扵偟側傛丅

 

傎偐偵傛偔巊傢傟傞偺偑揹榖偺夞慄偑愗傟偨偲偒丄"Operator, I've been cut off."側偳偲偄偄傑偡傛偹丅

 

仠get over

偐偤側偳傪帯偡丂(幐攕丄幐楒側偳偐傜乯棫偪捈傞

宖帵斅偺chris偝傫hiro偝傫偺夛榖偵弌偰偒傑偟偨丅

愭寧偵堷偒懕偒婎杮揑僀僨傿僆儉偵傕岝傪摉偰偰偄偙偆偲巚偄傑偡丅傕偪傠傫丄乽側偵丄偦傟?!乿揑側曄傢偭偨尵偄夞偟傕悘帪憹傗偟偰偄偒傑偡偹丅

 

A: Mr. Yamada seems so depressed.

嶳揷偝傫丄棊偪崬傫偱偄傞偹丅

B: I guess he hasn't gotten over the mistake he made in that big transaction.

椺偺戝庢堷偱戝幐攕偟偰偐傜傑偩棫偪捈傟側偄傫偩丄偒偭偲丅

A: I know how he feels.

婥帩偪傢偐傞側丅

 

仠a shoulder to cry on

擸傒傪暦偄偰偔傟傞恖丂摨忣傪媮傔傞憡庤

Wham!Last Christmas傪側偤偐崱暦偄偰偄偰婥偵側偭偨僀僨傿僆儉偱偡丅侓Me, I guess I was a shoulder to cry on...侓

 

A: A lot of female friends came to my house this Christmas, too.

彈桭払偑崱擭偺僋儕僗儅僗傕杔傫壠偵棃偨傛丅

B: Wow, you are popular.

恖婥幰偩偹両

A: They're all love sick and I'm a shoulder to cry on.

傒傫側楒偺擸傒偑偁偭偰偝丄杔偼擸傒傪暦偄偰偁偘傞恖側傫偩丅

 

仠put down(2)

偗側偡丂埆岥傪尵偆

 

A: I hate my husband putting me down in front of our friends!

偩傫側偑桭払偺慜偱巹傪偗側偡偲偙傠偑戝寵偄丅

B: Well, as long as he does that in your presence, don't let it bother you. He doesn't mean it.

偱傕偝丄孨偺偄傞傑偊偱尵偆偲偟偨傜丄婥偵偡傞偙偲側偄傛丅杮婥偠傖側偄偐傜丅

A: But it bothers me a lot!

偱傕偄傜偄傜偡傞偺両

 

仠put down

埨妝巰偝偣傞

偙偪傜偼hiro偝傫傛傝丅偙偺傎偐丄彂偒棷傔傞丄偗側偡丄捔埑偡傞丄側偳傕偁傝傑偡偹丅

 

A: I can't stand to see our Whitie suffer like this.

儂儚僀僥傿乕偑偙傫側偵嬯偟傓偺丄尒偨偔側偄傛丅

B: Maybe we should put her down.

埨妝巰偝偣偨傎偆偑偄偄偐傕偹丅

A: If Taro agrees, let's do that.

懢榊偝偊擺摼偟偰偔傟偨傜丄偦偆偟傑偟傚偆丅

 

仠Don't bother.

偍峔偄側偔丅

媣乆偵Chris偝傫偑朘傟偰偔傟傑偟偨両徯夘偟偰偔傟偨偲偍傝摦帉偵偟偰傕柤帉偵偟偰傕曋棙側bother偱偡偹丅宖帵斅傕嶲徠偟偰偔偩偝偄丅

 

A: Don't bother. I have to go now.

偍峔偄側偔丅傕偆婣傜側偒傖丅

B: Oh, stay for dinner.

梉斞怘傋偰偄偭偰傛丅

A: No, I can't. I have a test tomorrow.

偩傔側傫偩丅柧擔僥僗僩偑偁偭偰丅

B: That's what's bothering you!

偦傟偱擸傫偱偄偨傫偩丅

 

仠get off the ground

忋庤偔婳摴偵偺傞丂岾愭偑偄偄

 

A: Congratulations on starting your own business. How's it going?

帠嬈傪巒傔偨傫偩偭偰偹丅偍傔偱偲偆両偳偆丄挷巕偼丠

B: Well, we've already received a couple of orders.

傕偆丄壗審偐拲暥傪傕傜偭偰偄傞傛丅

A: Wow, it's gotten off the ground already!

傊偊丄傕偆婳摴偵忔偭偨傫偩偹両

 

仠get high marks

崅偄昡壙傪摼傞丂僥僗僩偺揰偩偗偱偼側偄偱偡偹丅

 

A: Matsui and Ichiro are getting high marks in the major leagues.

徏堜傗僀僠儘乕偼儊僕儍乕偱傕崅偄昡壙傪庴偗偰偄傞偹丅

B: Sure. They are both good at hitting and fielding. On top of that, they are wonderful team players.

偦偆偲傕丅懪偭偰傛偟丄庣偭偰傛偟丅側傫偲偄偭偰傕僠乕儉僾儗僀儎乕偱偁傞偲偙傠偑偄偄傫偩傛丅

 

仠what got into someone

偄偭偨偄壗偑乣偵婲偒偨偐丂扤偐偑晛抜偟側偄偙偲傪偟偨傝尵傢側偄偙偲傪尵偭偨傝偟偨応崌偵巊偄傑偡丅

 

A: What a messy room! You threw your books around. And you look very upset. What got into you!

側偵丄偙偺晹壆両杮傪晹壆拞偵偽傜傑偄偰丅偁側偨丄偡偛偔庢傝棎偟偰偄傞偟丅偄偭偨偄偳偆偐偟偨偺丅

B: I'm looking for a very important document!

傕偺偡偛偔戝帠側彂椶傪扵偟偰偄傞傫偩両

 

仠get the better of

乣偵彑傞丂Someone gets the better of his opponent偩偲丄揋偵彑傞偱偡偑丂Someone's bad temper got the better of him/her 偩偲丄bad temper偑彑偮抁婥偵傑偗傞偲側傝丄斲掕揑側堄枴偵側傝傑偡丅

 

A: By 10 o'clock, my anxiety got the better of me and I called the police.

10帪偵側偭偨傜丄傕偆怱攝偱偄偨偨傑傟側偔側偭偰寈嶡偵揹榖偟偨偺丅

B: Then right after that, your daughter came home!

偦偟偨傜偦偺捈屻偵柡偝傫偑婣偭偰偒偨傫偩両

丂丂丂丂丂

仠be getting there

偄偄慄峴偭偰偄傞丂傕偆彮偟偱惉岟丂

 

A: How's your knee?

傂偞偺挷巕偼偳偆丠

B: The doctor said I'm definitely getting there. The bandages will be off in a few days.

堛幰偼丄傕偆偩偄傇夞暅偟偨偭偰尵偭偰偄偨傛丅曪懷偼俀丆俁擔偱偲傟傞傜偟偄丅

 

仠get this!

偪傚偭偲暦偄偰傛丅暦偄偰偔傟傛丅

 

A: Get this! I've saved money at the bank for more than 5 years and the total interest is only 350 yen!

暦偄偰傛両5擭娫傕嬧峴偵梐嬥偟懕偗偰晅偄偨棙懅偼偨偭偨偺350墌両

B: Oh, that's better than my mine.

巹偺棙懅傛傝懡偄傢丅

 

仠get around to

側傫偲偐偟偰丄乣偡傞帪娫傪尒偮偗傞丂乣偵拝庤偡傞

 

A: Have you written your grandmother, Mariko?

傑傝偙丄偍偽偁偪傖傫偵庤巻彂偄偨丠

B: What with schoolwork and club activities, I didn't get around to it.

妛峑偺曌嫮傗丄晹妶偱偦偙傑偱庤偑夞傜側偄偺丅

A: She's dying to hear from you.

偁側偨偐傜偺曋傝傪懸偪朷傫偱偄傞偺偵丅

 

仠get at

傎偺傔偐偡丂尵偍偆偲偡傞

 

A: So, I think you should know that he is not the right man.

偩偐傜丄斵偼丄偮傑傝偄偄傗偮偠傖側偄丅

B: I don't understand what you're getting at.

壗傪尵偍偆偲偟偰偄傞偺丠

A: Stop seeing him.

斵偲晅偒崌偆偺偼傗傔側偝偄偲偄偆偙偲丅

 

仠get someone down

偩傟偐傪幐朷偝偣傞丂

傛偔...gets me down偲帺暘偑偑偭偐傝偟偨偲偒偵巊偆傛偆偱偡丅

 

A: The government decision to send our troops to Iraq really gets me down.

帺塹戉傪僀儔僋偵憲傞偙偲偵寛傑偭偰偑偭偐傝丅

B: Same here. The so-called "safe area" may turn into an "unsafe area" if our troops are there.

摨姶丅埨慡抧懷傕晲憰偟偨戉堳偑偄傞偙偲偱埨慡偠傖側偔側傞偐傕偟傟側偄偟丅

 

 

仠get behind

乣傪墳墖偡傞丂乣傪巟帩偡傞

 

A: I've decided to vote for Mr. A.

巹偼A巵偵搳昜偡傞丅

B: You've been supporting Mr. B, haven't you?

B偝傫傪巟帩偟偰偄偨偺偱偼丠

A: I changed my mind. I got behind him ever since I learned about his struggle to bring world peace.

婥偑曄傢偭偨傫偩丅悽奅暯榓偺偨傔偵搘椡偟偰偄傞偲抦偭偰偐傜斵傪巟帩偡傞偙偲偵偟偰偄傞偺丅

 

get behind

抶傟傞丂乣傛傝屻傟傪偲傞

 

A: In my son's school, two thirds of the students go to juku after school.

懅巕偺捠偆妛峑偱偼俁暘偺俀偑弇偵捠偭偰偄傞傛丅

B: No one wants to get behind his classmates.

N傕恖偵屻傟傪偲傝偨偔側偄傫偩偹丅

 

仠get back at...

巇曉偟傪偡傞丂at 偺師偵帪娫偑棃偨傜偦偺帪娫偵栠傞丄偱偡偑

崱夞偼丄偙偺丄暅廞傪偡傞丄偺堄枴偱偡丅

 

A: Did you apologize to her?

斵彈偵偁傗傑偭偨丠

B: No, because that was just a joke.

偄偄偊丄偩偭偰偁傟偼扨側傞僕儑乕僋偩偐傜

A: She's mad at you. Unless you apologize, she'll get back at you.

搟偭偰偄傞傛丅幱傜側偄偲巇曉偟偑偔傞偐傕丅

 

 

仠fly in the ointment

嬍偵僉僘丂桞堦偺寚揰丂戜柍偟偵偡傞傕偺

塸帿榊偝傫偺岅尮傪偍庁傝偟傑偡媽栺惞彂傛傝丄偨偭偨堦旵偺澧偑婱廳側崄椏傪戜柍偟偵偡傞偺偲摨條彫偝側寚揰偑妝偟傒傪扗偆偲偄偆堦愢偐傜

 

A: This soup is delicious.

偙偺僗乕僾偍偄偟偄偹丅

B: You bet. It's the chef's special. Wait a minute.

There's a hair in mine.

偦偆偱偟傚偆丅僔僃僼偺偍偡偡傔偩偭偰丅偊偭丄傑偭偰丅

巹偺僗乕僾偵敮偺栄偑偼偄偭偰傞乕丅

A: You call it a fly in the ointment.

偙傟偑杮摉偺嬍偵僉僘偩偹丅

 

仠pig out

傕傝傕傝怘傋傞

偲偄偆傛傝丄偨傜傆偔怘偆偲偄偆姶偠丠忋昳偱偼側偄偺偱偍婥傪偮偗偔偩偝偄丒丒丒

 

A: Look at this feast! Let's pig out.

偙偺偛抷憱偡偛偄丅暊偄偭傁偄怘偍偆丅

B: Watch your language.

偦偺尵偄曽壗偲偐側傜側偄丠

A: Oops, sorry, let's dig in. How's that?

偁丄偦偆偩偹丅偱偼偄偨偩偒傑偟傚偆丅偙傟偱偳偆丠

 

 

仠horse sense

摉偨傝慜偺敾抐椡丂忢幆丂懎幆

抦幆偲偄偆傛傝丄幮夛揑捠擮傪傢偒傑偊偰偄傞偲偄偆姶偠偱偟傚偆偐丅

 

A: You aren't worried about sending your only daughter abroad?

堦恖柡傪奀奜偵傗傞偭偰丄怱攝偠傖側偄偺丠

B: Not at all. She has enough horse sense to survive in any situations.

偤傫偤傫丅偳傫側忬嫷偱傕敾抐椡傪敪婗偟偰傗偭偰偄偗傞恖偩偐傜丅

 

仠look a gift horse in the mouth

憽傝暔偵偗偪傪晅偗傞丂

攏偼帟傪傒傞偲擭偑傢偐傞丄偲偄偆偲偙傠偐傜偒偰偄傞偦偆偱偡丅

 

A: I like the design of this dress he gave me, but the tag says it's made in Vietnam. I'd rather have Made-in-Japan products.

斵偑偔傟偨僪儗僗丄僨僓僀儞偼偄偄傫偩偗偳丄儀僩僫儉惢偰彂偄偰偁傞偺傛丅擔杮惢偑傛偐偭偨偺偵丅

B: Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

恖偐傜傕傜偭偨傕偺偵偗偪偼晅偗側偄偺丅

 

 

仠dark horse

寠攏丂幚椡晄柧偺憡庤

擔杮岅偵側偭偰偄傞偒傕偟傑偡丅

 

A: Nobody expected Mr. Kondo to be our new president!

偩傟傕嬤摗巵偑怴偟偄幮挿偵側傞側傫偰巚偄傕傛傜側偐偭偨丅

B: Right. Everyone thought the former president's son was the best candidate.

偦偆丅傒傫側傕偲幮挿偺懅巕偑側傞偭偰巚偭偰偨傕偺丅

A: Only Mr. Tanaka kept saying that Mr. Kondo might be a dark horse, and he was right.

揷拞偝傫偩偗偑丅嬤摗巵偑寠攏偩偭偰偄偭偰偄偨偗偳丅惓偟偐偭偨偹丅

 

仠horse around

傆偞偗偰憶偓夞傞丂攏幁憶偓偡傞

 

A: How did the parents' visiting day go?

嶲娤擔偳偆偩偭偨丠

B: It was terrible. My boy was horsing around and teacher scolded him in front of everyone.

嶶乆偩偭偨丅懅巕偑憶偓夞偭偰傒傫側偺慜偱搟傜傟偰偨傫偩丅

 

仠a bull in a china shop

棎朶幰丂偑偝偮側恖丂晄婍梡側恖

hiro偝乕傫丄偁傝偑偲偆両丂偙傟visual image傪昤偗傑偡偹丅

china shop 偼悾屗暔壆偝傫丅慡晹夡傟偦偆偱偡偹丅

 

A: Our new section chief thinks he owns the company.

怴偟偄壽挿丄幮挿偩偲巚偭偰偄傞傫偠傖側偄丄帺暘偺偙偲丅

B: That's what I thought. He orders everyone around.

I wish he would stop act like a bull in a chinashop.

偦偆巚偭偰偄偨偲偙傠丅壽挿丄扤斵偐傑傢偢巜恾偡傞偟丅偁偁偄偆晽偵墶朶偵怳傞晳偆偺傗傔偰傎偟偄丅

 

 

仠change horses in midstream

搑拞偱曽恓傪曄偊傞丂婳摴廋惓偡傞

...in the middle of the stream偲傕偄偄傑偡丅

 

A: I don't think this marketing scheme will work out.

偙偺儅乕働僥傿儞僌僾儔儞偼傛偔側偄偲巚偆丅

B: I think it will.

偆傑偔偄偔偲巚偆偗偳丅

A: But today's consumers are not interested in such a traditional advertisement.

偱傕崱偺恖偨偪偭偰偙傫側屆廘偄峀崘偵偼尒岦偒傕偟側偄偐傕丅

B: You are the one who proposed the plan. Don't change horses in midstream.

偁側偨偑婇夋偟偨傫偱偟傚丅搑拞偱曽恓傪曄偊側偄偱傛丅

 

仠bear hug

嫮偔書偒偟傔傞偙偲丂摦帉偲偟偰傕巊傢傟傑偡丅

 

A: I spanked my daughter because she told us a lie.

偆偦傪偮偄偨偐傜巕偳傕偺偍怟傪偨偨偄偨傫偩丅

B: Oh, poor girl. I hope she doesn't hold any grudges against you.

偐傢偄偦偆丅偁側偨傪崷傫偩傝偟側偄偺丠

A: I always give her a bear-hug after scolding her. She is OK now.

偟偐偭偨屻偵偼偄偮傕偓傘偭偲書偒偟傔偰偁偘傞偺丅崱偼傕偆戝忎晇傛丅

 

仠play possum

偟偽傜偭偔傟傞丂巰傫偩傆傝丒偹傓偭偨傆傝傪偡傞

possum丒丒丒傆偔傠偹偢傒偼婋尟傪姶偠傞偲巰傫偩傆傝傪偡傞偦偆側丅

 

A: Please answer my question.

幙栤偵摎偊偰偪傚偆偩偄丅

B: I said I don't know anything about it.

壗傕抦傜側偄偭偰偄偭偨偱偟傚偆丅

A: I know you are hiding the important information. You can't play possum with me.

旈枾忣曬傪塀偟偰偄傞偺傪偟偭偰傑偡丅抦傜側偄傆傝偼巹偵捠梡偟傑偣傫丅

 

 

仠a wolf in sheep's clothing

婾慞幰丂傗偝偟偦偆偵尒偊傞埆幰

 

A: Grandma, you asked a stranger to withdraw your money from the bank?

B: No, we are friends. She drops in now and then and we chat over a cup of tea.

A: But where is your money?

B: In the drawer over there.

A: No, nothing is in here. You know she is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

 

 

仠monkey business

僀儞僠僉價僕僱僗丂嵓媆丂晄惓峴堊

 

A: My husband's friend was arrested for engaging in some monkey business.

晇偺桭恖偑僀儞僠僉彜攧傗偭偰戇曔偝傟偨偺丅

B: What did he do exactly?

偄偭偨偄壗傪偟偨偺丠

A: Well, he is the leader of some shady pyramid scheme. He raked in much money but others get no profits on it.

偦偺恖偼壗偐偺僱僘儈島偺儕乕僟乕偱丄偊傜偄嬥栕偗偟偨傜偟偄偗偳懠偺恖偼側偵傕摼偑側偐偭偨傒偨偄丅

B: Easy money is filthy money.

偆傑偄榖偵偼偆偝傫偔偝偄嬥丄偩偹丅

 

(^_^;)

 

 

仠bullish

憡応偑忋徃孹岦偺丂嫮婥偺丂妝娤揑側丂

偟偽傜偔摦暔僔儕乕僘偱偄偒傑偡丅

 

A: Prime Minister K seems to be bullish about the economy.

憤棟偼宱嵪偺尒捠偟偵偮偄偰妝娤揑偩偹丅

B: In reality, though, a bullish market can be observed only in the big cities.

尰幚偼丄忋徃憡応側偺偼戝搒巗偩偗側偺偵丅

 

仠give a boost to

...傪屻墴偟偡傞丂...偵抏傒傪偮偗傞

抏傒傪庴偗傞偺側傜丂recieve a boost from...偵側傝傑偡丅

 

A: I'll be stationed in New York?

僯儏乕儓乕僋偵揮嬑偱偡偭偰丠

B: Yes! You are the most qualified employee for the position.

偦偆偝丅孨偑偦偺億僕僔儑儞偵堦斣傆偝傢偟偄丅

A: I'm not sure about my language skills...

偱傕杔塸岅偑丒丒丒

B: Don't be like that! Life in New York will give a huge boost to your English ability.

偦傫側庛婥偵側傜側偄偱丅尰抧偱惗妶偡傟偽塸岅椡偼奿抜偵怢傃傞偭偰丅

 

仠fill someone in (on)

乮偩傟偐偵乯忣曬傪揱偊傞

偺椺暥乮beg off)偱巊偄傑偟偨丅

 

A: Welcome back. How was your honeymoon?

偍偐偊傝丅僴僱儉乕儞偼偳偆偱偟偨偐丠

B: Well, I'd rather talk about it later! Please fill me in

on how the project is proceeding.

偄傗丄偦傟偼屻偱榖偡傛(^^;)丂偨偺傓丄椺偺巇帠偑偳偙傑偱恑傫偱偄傞偺偐嫵偊偰偔傟乣丅

 

仠beg off

挌擩偵抐傞丂柶彍偟偰傕傜偆 乣柶彍偲偄偆偙偲偱丄beg off from

偲側傝傑偡丅cf. beg off from your invitation

 

A: I'm afraid I'd have to beg off from the meeting today.

偡傒傑偣傫偑丄崱擔偺夛媍偼弌傜傟側偄偺偱偡偑丅

B: OK. I'll fill you in on the outcome tomorrow.

傢偐偭偨丅柧擔丄寢壥傪揱偊傞傛丅

 

仠part and parcel

乣偵晄壜寚側丂梫偺

 

A: Did you hear what Bush said? Japan's aid is part and parcel of Iraq's reconstruction.

僽僢僔儏偝傫偺尵偄暘暦偄偨丠丂擔杮偺墖彆偼僀儔僋嵞寶偵寚偐偣側偄偩偭偰丅

B: He is referring to the 1.5 billion yen Japan is giving away. How it is used is not at all crystal clear.

侾俆壄墌偺柍彏墖彆偺帠傪偄偭偰偄傞傫偱偟傚丅偳偆巊傢傟傞偐側傫偰傢偐傝傗偟側偄丅

 

(^^;)

 

仠for show

尒塰偱

 

A: Mr. Wada became penniless after he bought a Jaguar.

榓揷偝傫丄僕儍僈乕傪攦偭偰堦暥柍偟偵側偭偨傫偩偭偰丅

B: You must be kidding. I thought he was rolling in money.

偆偦偱偟傚丅惁偄嬥帩偪偩偲巚偭偨傫偩偗偳丅

A: No way. They say he bought the expensive car for show.

偲傫偱傕側偄丅偦偺崅壙側幵偼尒塰偱攦偭偨傜偟偄傛丅

 

仠slacken the pace

儁乕僗傪娚傔傞丂曕挷傪娚傔傞

slacken one's pace偱傕摨偠偱偡偹丅slacken one's effort側偳偲偟偰搘椡偺儁乕僗偑棊偪傞偲偄偆傆偆偵傕巊偊傑偡丅

 

A: Oh, I feel frustrated to see no tangible results regarding the abduction issues.

傕偆丄漟抳栤戣偱壗偺恑揥傕側偄偐傜僀儔僀儔偡傞丅

B: Me, too. I hope the government won't slacken its pace of pressuring the North!

帺暘傕偱偡丅惌晎偼杒偵埑椡傪偐偗傞搘椡偺庤傪娚傔側偄偲偄偄偗傟偳丅

 

Me, too.

 

仠stick to one's guns

庡挘傪墴偟捠偡丂帺愢傪傑偘側偄丂

傾儊儕僇偺僀僨傿僆儉偵偼暥壔偵崻偞偡gun偼傛偔巊傢傟傑偡丅

 

A: It's OK to stick to his guns as long as his policies are reasonable.

帺愢傪嬋偘側偄偭偰偄偆偺傕丄惌尃偑摴棟偵崌偭偰偄傟偽偄偄傫偩偗偳偝丅

B: The problem is that they are far from reasonable.

偦傟偑偦偆偠傖側偄偐傜丄栤戣側傫偩傛偹丅

 

仠take the bull by the horns

僀僯僔傾僥傿僽傪偲傞丂桬姼偵棫偪岦偐偆

contributed by hiro(^o^)

A: He said before the election that he would take the bull by the horns.

B: Now what he does is to axt like Bush's pet.

 

I'll leave it to your imagination as to whom I'm talking about. (^o^)

 

 

 

仠cast a shadow over

埫偄塭傪棊偲偡丂

Oh, hiro, the Japanese government reduces pensions and spends generously to clean up the mess in Iraq.

 

A: The bleak future of our pension plan casts a shadow over Japan's future.

擭嬥惂搙偺偍姦偄枹棃偑擔杮偵偔傜乕偄塭傪偍偲偟偰傞偹丅

B: Yes. What our government needs is a good leader with keen insight into our future needs.

傕偭偲傕偩丅僯乕僘傪尒嬌傔傜傟傞尗偄儕乕僟乕偑弌偰偔傞偲偄偄偹丅

 

仠crap out

搑拞偱傗傔傞丂嵙愜偡傞丂懯栚偵側傞

Pay it forward乮儁僀丒僼僅儚乕僪乯偺拞偺丄Haley Joel Osment孨偲Kevin Spacy偺夛榖偼偙傫側姶偠偱偟偨丅

 

A: I crapped out and let Adam get beat up.

傏偔嵙愜偟偰丄傾僟儉偑偄偠傔傜傟傞偺傪偦偺傑傑偵偟偨傫偩丅

B: No, you didn't. Sometimes there's nothing we can do.

偦傫側偙偲側偄丄帪偵偼偳偆偟傛偆傕側偄偙偲偑偁傞傫偩丅

 

仠grin and bear it

徫偭偰懴偊傞丂偟偐偨偑側偄偲偁偒傜傔傞丂晄暯傪尵傢偢傗傞

 

A: I've now realized I'm driving in the opposite direction and I can't make a U-turn for another 20 kilometers or so.

媡曽岦偵塣揮偟偰傞傛乕丅偁偲俀侽僉儘偼偙偺傑傑峴偐側偒傖丅

B: Oh, you have only yourself to blame.

恎偐傜弌偨偝傃偭偰姶偠偩偹丅

A: I know. I'll just have to grin and bear it.

偦偆偦偆丅傑丄徫偭偰懴偊傞偟偐側偄丅

 

A real story that happened to me today. I can't tell this to anyone. It's so embarassing. Oh, now I let the cat out of the bag.(^_^;)婄偱徫偭偰怱偱側偔両偙傟偟偐側偄両

 

仠forget oneself

変傪朰傟傞丂杤摢偡傞丂帺惂怱傪幐偆

negative 偵傕positive偵傕巊傢傟偰偄傑偡丅get carried away偲椶帡昞尰偱偡丅

 

A: When I saw my daughter smoking in her room, I forgot myself and hit her.

偆偪偺柡偑晹壆偱偨偽偙傪媧偭偰偄傞偺傪傒偨傜丄傕偆偐乕偭偲側偭偰傇偭偪傖偭偨傢傛丅

B: Oh,dear. I don't blame you. She is only 13.

偁傜傑偁丅婱曽偺搟傝傕柍棟偼側偄偹丅傑偩侾俁嵨偱偟傚丅

 

 

to the point

揑傪幩偰偄傞丂揔愗偱偁傞

 

A: I got carried away and talked too much and too fast.

嫽暠偟偰懍偔丄偟偐傕偨偔偝傫偟傖傋傝偡偓偨傛丅

B: Don't worry, everyone seemed to be impressed because your speech was direct and to the point.

偩偄偠傚偆傇丄傒傫側枮懌偟偨傒偨偄偩傛丅孨偺儊僢僙乕僕偼抂揑偱揑傪幩偨傕偺偩偭偨偐傜丅

 

仠get religion

夵怱偡傞丂怣嬄偵傔偞傔傞

擔忢夛榖偱偼慜幰偺堄枴偱巊傢傟傞偙偲偑椙偔偁傞傫偠傖側偄偱偟傚偆偐丅

 

A: Rumiko has begun to attend every class.

傞傒巕偑慡僋儔僗偵弌惾偟偼偠傔傑偟偨丅

B: That Rumiko? She used to play hookey quite often.

偁偺傞傒巕偑丠椙偔偢傞媥傒偟偰偨傛偹丅

A: She seems to have gotten religion.

夵怱偟偨傒偨偄偱偡傛丅

 

仠play God

慡擻偱偁傠偆偲偡傞丂恄偺傛偆偵怳晳偆

 

A: Are you for or against human cloning?

僋儘乕儞恖娫偼巀惉丄斀懳丠

B: I'm dead against it. I don't agree with scientists playing God.

愨懳斀懳丅壢妛幰偨偪偑慡抦慡擻傒偨偄偵怳晳偆偺偵偼巀惉偱偒側偄偹丅

 

仠high-powered

惛椡揑側丄崅搙偺丄嫮椡側丄崅惈擻偺丄惛椡揑側丄桳擻側

偲偄傠偄傠栿岅偑偁傞傛偆偵丄偄傠傫側岅傪晅偗傜傟傞曋棙側昞尰偱偡丅

high-powered car 偺傎偐丄high-powered偵懕偗偰丂stereo, gun, employees, job(career), TV, toy...壗偱傕偄偗偦偆偱偡丅

 

A: Some people say that women shouldn't expect high-powered jobs because they should concentrate on looking after their family.

彈惈偼惛椡傪昁梫偲偡傞巇帠傪媮傔傞傋偒偱側偄丄壠懓偺悽榖偵惛傪弌偡偨傔偵丄側傫偰偄偆恖偑偄傞傛偹丅

B: But others don't think that way. So many people, so many minds.

偦偆巚傢側偄恖傕偄傞偐傜丅恖偦傟偧傟丅

 

仠dig in one's heels on...

...偵偮偄偰忳傜側偄丂婃屌偵庡挘偡傞

hiro偝傫乮thanks)偺嫵偊偰偔傟偨偲偍傝dig one's heels in 偲偄偆宍傕偲傝傑偡偹両

 

A: What a stubborn country.

側傫偰婃屌側崙側傫偩傠偆丅

B: Yes. They dig in their heels on the issue of abduction and nuclear development!

偆傫丅漟抳栤戣傗丄妀奐敪偺偙偲偵偮偄偰堦曕傕忳傜側偄傛丅

 

仠go down

棊偪傇傟傞丂孻柋強擖傝偡傞

CNN偺僯儏乕僗偱丄偁傞戝嬥帩偪偑corruption(墭怑乯偱曔傑偭偨偲偄偆撪梕偱偟偨丅

 

A: I can't believe big companies are going down one after another.

戝婇嬈偑偳傫偳傫偮傇傟偰偄偔側傫偰怣偠傜傟側偄傛丅

B: Yeah. Victims of recession used to be small companies, but now no company is exempt from bankruptcy.

慡偔偩丅晄宨婥傪庴偗偰嬯偟傓偺偼拞彫婇嬈偩偭偨偺偵丄崱偼偳偺夛幮傕搢嶻傪柶傟側偄偐傜偹丅

 

仠close but no cigar

惿偟偄偗偳丄堘偆丂

hiro偝傫傕尵偭偰偄傑偟偨偑丄僋僀僘偵摉偨偭偨徿昳偵梩姫傪偁偘傞偙偲偼偱偒側偄丄偲偄偆堄枴偱偡偑偦偙偐傜丄惿偟偄両偲偄偆偙偲偵側偭偨偺偱偟傚偆丅

 

A: Let me guess. I know! You are going to apply for A company.

偦偆偹丅傢偐偭偨丅A夛幮偵墳曞偡傞傫偱偟傚丅

B: Mmm, close, but no cigar.

偆乕傫丄惿偟偄偗偳堘偆丅

A: OK, then its associated company, B.

偠傖丄偦偺娭楢夛幮偺B

B: Bingo!

摉偨傝両

 

仠pipe down

惷偐偵偡傞丂掅偄惡偱榖偡丂柦椷宍偱丄栙傟両

Hiro, thanks for another fun idiom!

 

A: Shhh...pipe down! Junny has just fallen asleep.

偆傞偝偄傢傛両僕儏僯僀(a baby乯偑怮偨偽偐傝側傫偩偐傜両

B: Oh, sorry.

偛傔傫側偝偁偄丅乮elder brothers)

 

仠drive someone up the wall

恖傪寖搟偝偣傞丂偄傜偄傜偝偣傞

 

A: You have three children? Do they help you?

俁恖傕巕偳傕偑偄傞偺丠丂偍庤揱偄偟偰偔傟傞丠

 

B: No way. On the contrary, they drive me up the wall. You know, children are so noisy!!

傑偝偐丅偦傟偳偙傠偐丄僀儔僀儔偝偣傜傟偰偽偭偐傝丅傎傜巕偳傕偭偰偆傞偝偄偱偟傚偆丠

 

Then why did you give birth to them?? (-_-)

 

 

 

仠sell like hotcakes

傛偔攧傟傞

 

hiro偝傫,context傕捀偒傑偡(*^_^*)

 

A: Now that the dictator is gone, people in Iraq are enjoying many forms of entertainment.

撈嵸幰偑偄側偔側偭偰偐傜丄僀儔僋恖偼屸妝偑憹偊偨傒偨偄偩偹丅

B: Yeah, it is said that sattelite dishes are selling like hotcakes.

偆傫丄hiro偑塹惎曻憲庴怣傾儞僥僫偑旘傇傛偆偵偆傟偰偄傞丄偭偰暦偄偨傛丅

 

仠fire up

嬱傝棫偰傞丂搟傜偣傞丂妶惈壔偡傞

Thanks hiro!

 

A: What a dull discussion!

偮傑傜側偄摙榑偩偹丅

B: Both canditates aren't capable of firing up the TV debate!

岓曗幰偨偪偼2恖偲傕僥儗價僨傿儀乕僩傪惙傝忋偘傜傟側偄傫偩丅

 

What a dull example sentence! Sorry!

 

仠snap

愗傟傞丂偐傫偐傫偵搟傞

 

Contributed by hiro!Thanks!

 

A: Last night the next-door couple had a shouting match.

梉傋丄偍椬偝傫晇晈丄搟柭傝偁偄偺偗傫偐偟偰偨傛丅

B: I heard Mrs. Yohida tends to snap when her husband comes home late.

媑揷偝傫偺墱偝傫丄偩傫側偝傫偑抶偔婣傞偲偡偖姎傒晅偔傛偆偵搟傞傜偟偄傛丅

 

No more gossiping please!!

 

仠spin out of control

惂屼晄擻偵側傞丂傂偳偔偆傠偨偊傞丂

 

僯儏乕僗偲僪儔儅偱崱廡3夞暦偄偨傫偱偡両

Keep ... from spinning out of control (news)

Don't spin out of control. (drama偱桭恖偐傜桭恖傊乯

 

A: What? Oh, no! I can't believe it!!

偊乕丠偆偦偩乕両怣偠傜傟側偄両

B: What's the matter?

偳偆偟偨偺丅

A: My passport! It's gone! I can't go home!!!!!

僷僗億乕僩偑両丂側偄傫偩両婣崙偱偒側偄両両両

B: Don't spin out of control. Calm down. Try to remember where you put it last time.

偦傫側偵偆傠偨偊側偄偱丅棊偪拝偄偰丅嵟屻偵偳偙偵抲偄偨丠

A: Wait a minute...Oh, I put it in my suitcase. Thanks.

偪傚偭偲傑偭偰丅偁丄僗乕僣働乕僗偺拞偩偭偨丅僒儞僋僗丅

 

仠greener pastures

崱傛傝傕椙偄忬懺丂傛傝岾偣側悽奅

 

A: I want to provide for myself.

堦恖曢傜偟偟偨偄偺丅

B: Why? You are still underage.

偳偆偟偰丠傑偩枹惉擭偠傖側偄丅

A: I can cook and keep the house clean.

椏棟傕偱偒傞偟壠傕偒傟偄偵偟偰偍偗傞偟丅

B: You think you are going on to greener pastures, but reality is not that simple.

崱傛傝傕椙偄忬懺傪媮傔偰傞傫偱偟傚偆偗偳丄尰幚偼尩偟偄傫偩傛丅

 

 

仠give or take

戝懱丄乣掱搙偺嵎偼偁傞偵偟偰傕

It'll take 10 days, give or take a few days.側偳偲give or take 偺偁偲偵嫋梕斖埻偑帵偝傟傞応崌偲丄It'll take 10 days, give or take. 偺傛偆偵丄帵偝側偄応崌偑偁傝傑偡丅

 

A: How long will it take to finish writing the novel?

椺偺彫愢彂偒廔傢傞偺偵偳傟偔傜偄偐偐傝傑偡偐丠

B: I guess I can finish in a month, give or take a week or so.

偦偆偩偹丄堦儢寧偐側丄傑丄堦廡娫偖傜偄憗傑偭偨傝抶偔側偭偨傝偼偁傞偐傕偟傟側偄偑丅

 

仠pull out all the stops to

乣偵慡椡傪恠偔偡丂嵟戝尷偺搘椡傪偡傞

by hiro侓(^o^)hiro丄懠偺奆偝傫丄岅尮偑傢偐偭偨傜嫵偊偰偔偩偝偄丅

A: Service industries in Niigata pulled out all the stops to provide the best possible services during the World Cup.

儚乕儖僪僇僢僾偺帪偼丄僒乕價僗嶻嬈偑嵟戝尷偺搘椡偱傕偰側偟偨傫偩傛偹丅

 

B: Yeah, the World Cup brought about tremendous economic gain to the city.

偦偆丄怴妰巗偼儚乕儖僪僇僢僾偺宱嵪岠壥偱偐側傝弫偭偨偼偢偩傛丅

 

儗僗僩儔儞偼応強偵傛偭偰偼娬屆捁偑柭偄偨偲偙傠傕偁偭偨偦偆偱偡丅

 

仠rub salt into a woun

媰偒偭柺偵朓丂偝傜偵埆偄偙偲偵

 

懠偺椶帡宍傪忋偘偰偍偒傑偡丅

add insult to injury, add oil (fuel) to the fire丂乮婛弌乯

 

A: Why are you crying, Joni?

僕儑僯丄側偤媰偄偰傞偺丠

B: Some of my friends called me "Shorty."

桭払偑僠價偭偰尵偭偨傫偩丅

A: Well, I would rather call you "Chubby."

僂乕儞丄杔側傜丄偙偱傇偪傖傫丄偭偰尵偆偐側丅

B: Shut up!

偆傞偝偄両

C: You are rubbing salt into a wound.

偒傒丄彎岥偵墫傪偡傝崬傫偱偄傞傛偆側傕傫偩傛丅

 

仠to make matters worse

偝傜偵埆偄偙偲偵偼丂偍傑偗偵丂偦偺忋丂媰偒偭柺偵朓

by hiro(^_^)v

 

A: This month our household economy is deep in the red.

崱寧偺壠寁偼傂偳偄愒帤丅

B: It can't be helped. Takeshi broke his arm and Yoko had a car accident.

巇曽側偄傛丅晲偼榬傪崪愜丄梞巕偼帺懝帠屘丅

A: To make matters worse, you had your wallet stolen!偦偺忋丄側傫偲偁側偨偼嵿晍傪偡傜傟傞偟丅

B: So...so...sorry.

偛偛偛傔傫丅

 

 

仠turn one's back on

棤愗傞丂introduced by hiro-san(^^)/

棤愗傞娭學傪怳傝曉偭偰傒傑偟偨丒丒丒

2003.2.3cheat on 棤愗傞乮抝彈娭學偱巊傢傟傞偺傪傛偔尒傑偡乯

2003.2.23 double-cross 棤愗傞

堦岅偱尵偊偽betray...

 

A: Our section chief leaked information to a rival company.

晹挿偑儔僀僶儖夛幮偵忣曬傪楻傜偟偨偦偆偩丅

B: You must be kidding. He has worked for the company for decades.

忕択偱偟傚丅傕偆夛幮偵壗廫擭偲嬑柋偟偰偄傞傫偩傛丅

A: Just before retirement, he turned his back on the company.

戅怑慜偵夛幮傪棤愗偭偨偲偼丒丒丒

 

仠follow one's footsteps

傑偨偼丄follow the footsteps of someone

恖偺巜摫傪庴偗傞丂巙傪庴偗宲偖丂扤偐偵捛廬偡傞

by hiro-san(^_^)v

 

A: Are you going to follow the footsteps of your late father?

朣偒偍晝偝傫偲摨偠摴傪曕傓偺丠

B: I wish I could. I will never be able to enter medical school.

偱偒偨傜偄偄傫偩偗偳丅堛妛晹側傫偰偲偆偰偄庴偐傜側偄傕偺丅

 

仠at the last minute

偓傝偓傝偺偲偙傠偱

偝偭偒偺偲摨偠堄枴偱偡偑丄偙偪傜偺曽偑懡偔巊傢傟偦偆偱偡偹丅

 

A: What's keeping him?

偁偄偮丄壗偟偰偄傞傫偩傠偆丅

B: Oh, here he comes.

棃偨傛丅

C: Sorry, I got stuck in rush hour traffic.

僑儊儞丄儔僢僔儏傾儚乕偵堷偭偐偐偭偪傖偭偰丅

A: You always get here at the last minute!

偄偮傕偓傝偓傝偵尰傟傞傫偩偐傜丅

 

仠in the nick of time

偓傝偓傝偺偲偙傠偱丂偪傚偆偳椙偄偲偙傠偱

 

A: Did you see Toy Story 2?

僩僀僗僩乕儕乕俀尒偨丠

B: Yes! I like the scene where the characters got in the plane in the nick of time!

偆傫丅旘峴婡偵偓傝偓傝偱忔傟傞僔乕儞偑岲偒側傫偩丅

A: Right. The scene had me on the edge of my seat!

偦偆偦偆丅庤偵娋埇偭偨傛偹丅

 

face the music

恑傫偱愑擟傪偲傞丂尰幚傪庴偗巭傔傞丂擄嬊偵棫偪岦偐偆

愄丄僙僒儈僗僩儕乕僩偱偙偺僞僀僩儖偺壧偑棳傟偰偄傑偟偨丅壒妝偲岦偐偄崌偆偲偙偺僀僨傿僆儉傪偐偗偰偄傑偟偨丅

嬁偒偑岲偒側僀僨傿僆儉偱偡丅Thanks, hiro-san!!

 

A: Mr. Aoyama was arrested for embezzling campany funds.

惵嶳偝傫丄夛幮偺偍嬥傪拝暈偟偰曔傑偭偨偭偰丅

B: He will be fired.

帿傔偝偣傜傟傞偹丅

A: He will have to face the music.

愑擟傪偟偭偐傝偲偭偰傕傜傢側偄偲偹丅

 

仠hold off

婑偣晅偗側偄丂夣彑偡傞

Sports 棑偺尒弌偟偵偁傝傑偟偨丅

 

A: The Tigers held off the Hiroshima Carp yesterday.

僞僀僈乕僗偼嶐擔峀搰偵夣彑丅

B: Tigers' fans are counting down for the championship.

僼傽儞偼桪彑傪怱懸偪偵偟偰偄傞偹丅

 

仠come clean

 

恀幚傪榖偡丂堦晹巒廔傪榖偡丂敀忬偡傞

hiro-san 採嫙(^_^)v

 

A: The police officer came clean on the convenience store robbery case.

偦偺寈嶡姱偼丄僐儞價僯嫮搻偵偮偄偰敀忬偟偨傜偟偄丅

B: What's this world coming to?

偄偭偨偄偙偺悽偼偳偆側偭偰傞傫偩丅

 

shed light on

乣偵岝柧傪搳偠傞丂乣偺夝柧傪彆偗傞

岝傪偁偰偰恀憡傪柧傜偐偵偡傞偲偄偆偐傫偠偱偡偹丅(hiro偝傫丄採嫙(^o^)

 

A: Do you think the international world knows how North Korea is repressing its own people?

崙嵺幮夛偼杒偑偳傫側偵崙柉傪梷埑偟偰偄傞偐抦偭偰偄傞偐側?

B: To some extent, yes, but nowhere near enough. The media should shed more light on the North Korean leader"s dictatorship.

偁傞掱搙偼偹丅偱傕慡偔廫暘偠傖側偄傛丅儊僨傿傾偑傕偭偲巜摫幰偺撈嵸懱惂偵偮偄偰曬摴偟偰悽娫偵傕偭偲抦傜偣側偒傖偹丅

 

 

 

仠dress down

偙偭傄偳偔幎傞丂旕擄偡傞

hiro-san採嫙両偄偮傕姶幱偟偰偄傞偺偱偡偑崱屻 contributed by hiro偺傒偵偝偣偰偔偩偝偄偹丅偝傫傕偲偭偰偄偄偱偡偐丠

Call me Junko or Juny.

 

A: I got a severe dressing down from my boss.

戝栚嬍傪傕傜偭偨傛丄儃僗偵丅

B: Not again.

傑偨丠

A: I think something got into me. I keep forgetting important appointments.

杔丄偳偆偟偪傖偭偨傫偩傠偆丅戝帠側栺懇傪朰傟偰偽偭偐傝偝丅

 

仠have it both ways

椉棫偝偣傞丂柍棟偟偰椉曽傪偲傞

偺傪彂偄偰偄偰帡偰偄傞(傎傏摨偠丠乯偲巚偄弌偟傑偟偨丅

 

A: I want to continue this lifestyle as a part time worker, but I need more job security.

偙偺僼儕乕僞乕偲偟偰偺惗妶傪懕偗偨偄偗偳丄傕偭偲埨掕偟偨曐忈偑昁梫偩側丅

B: They say, you can't have it both ways.

偍偄偟偄偲偙偩偗偲傞丄偭偰偄偆偺偼擄偟偄傫偩傛丅

 

仠have one's cake and eat it, too

擇偮偺偙偲傪摨帪偵妝偟傓丂堦嫇椉摼偲側傞

 

A: Shall we go on an eco-tour of an African country?

傾僼儕僇偺僄僐僣傾乕偵嶲壛偟側偄丠

B: What's an eco-tour?

偦傟側偵丠

A: They can make money and preserve their precious environment.

斵傜偼棙塿傕忋偘傜傟傞偟丄娐嫬傕庣傜傟傞偺偝丅

B: I see. They can have their cake and eat it, too.

偦偆偐丅椉曽偲傕庤偵擖傟側偄偲偄偗側偄偐傜偹丅

 

 

仠add insult to injury

摜傫偩傝廟偭偨傝偺栚偵憳傢偣傞丂偦傟偠傖媰偒偭柺偵朓偩

hiro偝傫丄嬶崌偼偳偆偱偡偐丠丂偄偮傕搳峞偁傝偑偲偆偛偞偄傑偡両幚嵺偵 "You are adding insult to injury!"偲搟傜傟偨(傑丄忕択偱乯偺偙偲偑偁傞偺傕崱偼椙偄巚偄弌丒丒丒丠

 

A: Oh, so your wife left you.

墱偝傫偵摝偘傜傟偨傫偩丅

B: Yeah, but that's none of your business.

偁偁丄偩偗偳孨偵偼娭學側偄偩傠丅

A: I think she left you because of your love of gambling.

墱偝傫偑弌偰峴偭偨偺偼偁側偨偺僊儍儞僽儖岲偒偺偨傔偹丅

B: You are adding insult to injury, Asako.

偦傟偠傖媰偒偭柺偵朓偩傠偆丄挬巕丅

 

仠one-track mind

扨嵶朎偺丂抁棈揑巚峫偺丂曃嫹側

壓偺擇偮偺昞尰偲帡偰偄傞偲偄偊偽帡偰偄傑偡偑丄偑傎傔尵梩偵巊傢傟傞堦曽丄偙傟偼傕偭傁傜偦偺斀懳偱偡丅

 

A: I'm tired of him.

傕偆丄傎偲傎偲斵偵垽憐偑偮偒偨丅

B: What's the matter?

偳偆偟偨偺丅

A: He has such a one-track mind that he never cares about his family. All he does is work. He doesn't even eat dinner at home.

巇帠堦曈搢偱壠懓偺偙偲偼屭傒偢丅壠偱梉怘偝偊怘傋側偄傫偩偐傜丅

 

仠single-minded

傂偨傓偒側丂惤幚側

壓偺single-hearted偲摨堄偱偡丅

 

A: What do you like about him?

斵偺偳偙偑岲偒丠

B: Oh, I think it's his single-minded attitude toward business and life.

偦偆偹丄斵偺巇帠傗恖惗偵傂偨傓偒側懺搙偐側丅

 

仠push the envelope

嫋梕斖埻傪偙偊傞丂婛惉奣擮偺榞傪偙偊傞丂崅偄儗儀儖偵挧愴偡傞

妎偊偰偍偙偆偲巚偭偰傕丄彂偒棷傔側偄偲朰傟偪傖偄傑偡傛偹丅

hiro偝傫偑CNN偐傜妎偊偰偄偰偔傟傑偟偨丅

 

A: I even pursuaded Jackson&Jackson's top executives to use our products.

僕儍僋僜儞丒僕儍僋僜儞幮偺姴晹偵傑偱傢偑幮偺惢昳偺愰揱傪偟偰傑偄傝傑偟偨丅

B: Uh, Your single-minded devotion to our company is admirable, but you didn't have to do that. You are pushing the envelope too far nowadays.

孨偺拤惤怱偼懜宧偵抣偡傞偑丄偦偙傑偱偟側偔偰傛偐偭偨丅偪傚偭偲嵟嬤偒傒崅偄儗儀儖偵挧愴偟偡偓偩傛丅

 

 

仠hold one's breath

乮偡偖偵婲偙傞偲乯婜懸偡傞丂懅傪傂偦傔傞丂屌懥傪偺傓丂

嵟弶偺栿乮婜懸偡傞乯偵偼偁傑傝撻愼傒偑側偐偭偨偺偱偡偑丄Y偝傫偑儊乕儖偱嫵偊偰偔偩偝偄傑偟偨丅偁傝偑偲偆偛偞偄傑偟偨丅偙傟偼懅傪傂偦傔偰偠偭偲壗偐傪婜懸穫閭苽磦秱艂穪B

 

A: Look, James, my birthday is next month. September 2nd. Keep that date in your mind.

僕僃乕儉僗丄巹偺抋惗擔棃寧側偺丅俋寧俀擔傛丅妎偊偰偍偄偰偹丅

B: Sure, but don't hold your breath!

偁傟偁傟丄偦傫側偵婜懸偟側偄偱傛両

 

仠go according to script

梊掕捠傝偵恑傓丂壗偺忈奞傕側偔忋庤偔峴偔

 

偳偺偔傜偄峬掕宍偱巊傢傟偰偄傞偺挷傋傞偨傔Cobuild Concordance Sampler乮僨儌斉乯傪巊偄傑偟偨丅http://www.cobuild.collins.co.uk/form.html#democonc(homepage)

http://www.cobuild.collins.co.uk/cgi-bin/democonc(専嶕寢壥亅偙偺昞尰偺応崌斲掕宍偺傒偑俀椺乯

 

A: Oh, I goofed. I could've presented better if my computer worked the way it should!

幐攕偟偨両僐儞僺儏乕僞偑忋庤偔嶌摦偡傟偽傕偭偲忋庤偔僾儗僛儞偑偱偒偨偺偵両

B: Although your presentation didn't go according to script, our audience seemed to be pretty impressed.

梊掕捠傝偵偼峴偐側偐偭偨偗傟偳丄娤媞偼偢偄傇傫姶怱偟偰偨傒偨偄偩傛丅

 

仠take a beating

捝偄栚偵偁偆丂怴暦側偳偱偨偨偐傟傞丂攕杒傪媔偡

 

Hiro san kindly gave me this one from his sickbed. Please get well soon.

 

A: The United States took a beating when weapons of mass destruction were not found in Iraq.

戝検攋夡暫婍偑僀儔僋偱尒偮偐傜側偐偭偨偐傜丄傾儊儕僇偼偢偄傇傫偨偨偐傟偨偹丅

B: They had it coming. America and Britain fabricated evidence that there were WMD.

帺嬈帺摼偩偹丅僀僊儕僗偲慻傫偱徹嫆傪偱偭偪偁偘偨傫偩偐傜丅

 

巜摫幰偑曄偱杮摉偵婥偺撆丒丒丒

 

仠take action

峴摦傪婲偙偡丂

 

NHK偝傫丄楡抮偝傫偺僐儊儞僩乮塸栿乯堷梡偝偣偰偔偩偝偄両

http://www.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/

(Comment by Mr Toru Hasuike) 8/28

 

Mr.H: It's unreasonable for North Korea to insist that Japan broke its promise to return the five abductees to the North. Japan should apply more pressure. North Korea won't take action from just dialogue.

 

J: I agree!! North Korea is disgracing itself by making a silly statement like this...

 

擬偔側偭偪傖偄傑偡両慡偔丅

 

仠open one's eyes

尰幚偵栚傪岦偗傞丂屽傞

71擔偵彂偄偨 get real偲堄枴偑帡偰偄傑偡丅乣偵栚妎傔傞偲偄偆偙偲偱丄open your eyes to reality, open your eyes to your foolishness偲丄to偑偮偔応崌傕懡偄偱偡丅

 

A: I'm going to spend \100,000 yen on lottery tickets.

10枩暘偺曮偔偠傪攦偆傫偩丅

B: Oh, open your eyes to reality. You have so far spent almost a million yen on it.

偹偊丄栚傪妎傑偟偰傛丅傕偆100枩嬤偔偼偦傟偵旓傗偟偰偄傞傛丅

 

仠call waiting

僉儍僢僠儂儞

僀僨傿僆儉偠傖側偄偱偡偑丄偪傚偭偲擔杮岅偲堘偄偡偓傞偺偱偁偘偰偍偒傑偡丅

 

A: Oh, really? What happened then? So...Wait a moment. I have call waiting.

杮摉丠偦傟偱偳偆偟偨偺丠丂傊乕丄偁丄偪傚偭偲懸偭偰丄僉儍僢僠儂儞偩偐傜丅

B: Gee, she keeps me waiting for a minute now. I'd better hang up.

傕偆丄侾暘偔傜偄懸偨偝傟偰偄傞傛丅愗偭偨曽偑偄偄側丅

 

仠a rite of passage

捠夁媀楃

TIME偵弌偰偒傑偟偨丅偙偺嶨帍偺婰帠偼撪梕傕偦偆偱偡偑丄岅偄丒僀僨傿僆儉傕側偐側偐崅搙偱撉傒墳偊偑偁傞偲偄偆偐丄撉傒偵偔偄偲偄偆偐丒丒丒乮撉傔側偄偲偄偆偐乯(^_^;)

 

A: I don't feel like doing anything.

壗傕偡傞婥偑婲偙傜側偄丅

B: Come on, Saori. He is not the only man in the world.

偪傚偭偲丄偝偍傝丅斵偩偗偑抝偱偼側偄傛丅

A: ...

B: Losing a love or two is a rite of passage into adulthood.

幐楒偺侾偮傗俀偮丄戝恖偵側傞偨傔偺捠夁媀楃偩偭偰丅

 

堅傔偭傐偔側偄偹丅B's comment gives no comfort to A.

仠not pull any punches

庤壛尭傪偟側偄

傎偐偵傕丄pull no punches, not pull one's punches側偳偺宍偑偁傝傑偡丅hiro-san, I like this one!

傕偪傠傫丄pull punches 偱庤壛尭傪偡傞偱偡丅

 

A: Go easy on me, Ken. I've never played table tennis.

偍庤廮傜偐偵偹丄働儞丅戩媴偼弶傔偰側偺丅

B: No way. I'm pulling no punches for anyone.

傑偝偐丅杔偼偩傟偵傕庤壛尭偟側偄傫偩丅

A: You are so inflexible.

梈捠偑偒偐側偄偺偹両

 

仠pack a punch

埿椡偑偁傞丂惁偄岠偒栚偑偁傞丂

 

A: Do you remember the TV public service announcement that went, "Do you quit drugs or do you quit being a humanbeing?"?

偁偺岞嫟峀崘妎偊偰傞丠乽栻傗傔傑偡偐丠恖娫傗傔傑偡偐丠乿偭偰偄偆偺丅

B: I sure do. I heard that one packed a punch for a lot of drug users.

妎偊偰傞傛乕丅杻栻傗偭偰偄傞恖偵僈僣乕儞偲嬁偄偨傜偟偄丄偭偰暦偄偨偗偳丅

 

偙傢偄塮憸偺峀崘偩偭偨傛偆偵婰壇偟偰傑偡偑丒丒丒偙偺榖戣偑嫟桳偱偒偨傜摨悽戙丠乮偁傞掱搙乯

 

仠be at loose ends

傇傜傇傜偟偰丂傗傞偙偲偑側偔丂庤帩偪傇偝偨偱

挿偄僀僨傿僆儉偱偡偑丄岥岅揑偱寢峔椙偔巊傢傟偰傑偡丅

 

A: How are your kids enjoying the summer holidays?

偍戭偺巕偳傕偝傫払丄壞媥傒妝偟傫偱傞丠

B: Well, they say they can't wait to go back to school again. They are at loose ends most of the day.

妛峑傊憗偔峴偒偨偄偭偰尵偭偰偄傞傢傛丅堦擔偺戝敿偼傇傜傇傜偟偰傞傫偩偐傜丅

 

仠tooth and nail

偁傜備傞庤抜傪恠偔偟偰丂昁巰偵側偭偰丂慡椡傪弌偟偰

壒妝捠偺hiro偝傫偑梞妝偺僞僀僩儖偐傜侾偮両

 

A: Do you think you can defend your title, Champion?

僠儍儞僺僆儞丄僞僀僩儖杊塹偼戝忎晇偱偡偐丅

B: Who knows? I'll fight tooth and nail this time, too.

偝偁偹丅偲偵偐偔偄偮傕偺傛偆偵慡椡傪弌偟愗偭愴偆偩偗偩傛丅

 

仠with all due respect

幐楃側偑傜丄偍偭偟傖傞偙偲偼偛傕偭偲傕偱偡偑丄

栚忋偺恖偵岦偐偭偰斀榑偡傞慜偵巊偄傑偡丅

 

A: Set your sales target at one million yen a month.

斕攧栚昗傪堦儢寧100枩墌偵偡傞偙偲丅

B: What? With all due respect, sir, you are a bit unreasonable lately.

偊偊丠尵傢偣偰傕傜偄傑偡偑丄嵟嬤丄柍棟側偙偲偽偐傝偍偭偟傖偭偰傑偣傫偐丠

 

仠hit the window

憢傪暵傔傞

憢傪偨偨偔傫偠傖側偄傫偱偡偹丒丒丒塮夋偱巊傢傟偰傑偟偨丅扤傕憢偼偨偨偐偢丄僽儔僀儞僪偑暵傔傜傟傑偟偨丅

 

A: Wow, it started raining. Let's close all the windows.

偆傢偭丄塉偑崀傝巒傔偨丅憢傪暵傔傛偆丅

B: OK. I'll get the ones in here, you hit the ones upstairs.

傢偐偭偨丅巹偑偙偙偺傪暵傔傞偐傜丄偁側偨偼擇奒傪偍婅偄丅

 

仠let off steam

偆偭傉傫傪惏傜偡丂僗僩儗僗傪夝徚偡傞

hiro偝傫偄偮傕偁傝偑偲偆両両偍偐偘偝傑偱俉寧偼嵟崅悢偺僀僨傿僆儉傪婰榐偱偒偦偆偱偡丅

 

A: Are you free this weekend? I have two tickets for a jazz concert.

崱廡枛傂傑丠僕儍僘僐儞僒乕僩偺僠働僢僩偑俀枃偁傞傫偩偗偳丅

B: Sorry, I'm going to play tennis with my son. It's a good way to let off steam.

偛傔傫丄懅巕偲僥僯僗偡傞傫偩丅僗僩儗僗偺夝徚偵傕偭偰偙偄側傫偩丅

 

ook for a needle in a haystack

柍懯崪傪愜傞丂尒偮偐傞傢偗偑側偄暔傪扵偡 (姳偟憪偺嶳偐傜恓傪尒偮偗弌偡僜儞側偙偲偱偒側偄乯

hiro偝傫偑 "007 Tomorrow never dies"偐傜暦偒庢偭偰偔偩偝偄傑偟偨丅塮夋偺側偐偺僀僨傿僆儉偼帇妎偵傕慽偊傞偐傜妎偊傗偡偄偱偡傛偹両

 

A: I'll find the person who scratched my car!

変偑垽幵偵彎傪晅偗偨儎僣傪尒偮偗偰傗傞丅

B; How can you do that?

偳偆傗偭偰丠

A: Well, I'll stop and ask the owners of any suspicious cars.

偊丄夦偟偄幵傪偲傔偰帩偪庡偵暦偔偺偝丅

B: Don't be silly. It's like looking for a needle in a haystack. How many white, scratched cars do you think exist in this city alone?

傗傔偲偒丅柍懯崪偩偭偰丅偙偺挰偩偗偱彎偮偄偨敀偄幵偑壗戜偁傞偲巚偆丠

 

仠on condition of anonymity

摻柤偺忦審偱丂柤傪柧偐偝側偄偲偄偆忦審偱

僀僨傿僆儉偲偄偆傛傝曋棙側昞尰偱偡偹両偙傟偐傜傕丄偙傟偼妎偊偰偍偔偲偄偄丄偲偄偆偺偼偳傫偳傫憲偭偰偔偩偝偄丅

 

A: Can I interview you on this case?

偙偺帠審偵偮偄偰偍巉偄偟偰傛傠偟偄偱偡偐丅

B: Yes, on condition of anonymity.

偼偄丄柤慜傪柧偐偝側偄偲尵偆忦審側傜丅

仠a wake-up call

寈忇丂拲堄傪懀偡暔

傕偆堦偮掆揹曬摴偱暦偄偨昞尰偱偡丅榓惢塸岅偺儌乕僯儞僌僐乕儖偺惓偟偄塸岅偱傕偁傝傑偡丅

 

A: That large-scale blackout in NY was a wake-up call.

偁偺NY偺掆揹偼丄傑偝偵寈忇偲側偭偨偹丅

B: Right. We cannot afford to regard it as having nothing to do with us.

偦偆偝丅娭學側偄側傫偰尵偭偰傜傟側偄傛偹丅

仠nuts and bolts

婎杮丂梫揰丂庡娽揰

NY偺掆揹偺尨場夝柧偺曬摴偺拞偱nuts and bolts偑巊傢傟偰偄傑偟偨丅僫僢僩偲儃儖僩丄偳偪傜傕戝帠偱偡偐傜偹両

 

A: What would happen if a blackout on that scale hit Japan!

偁傫側掆揹偑擔杮偱婲偒偨傜偳傫側偙偲偵側傞偩傠偆丅

B: I hope the authorities have all the nuts and bolts under control.

偍栶恖曽偑偪傖傫偲婎杮傪傢偒傑偊偰偔傟偰偄傞偲偄偄偹丅

 

仠after a fashion

 

堦墳偼丂嬋偑傝側傝偵傕丂偳偆偵偐

hiro-san採嫙両戞丠抏両丠偙傟偐傜傕傛傠偟偔両偁偲偱儊乕儖偟傑偡偹丅

 

A: So, Juny, did you understand my lecture?

偦傟偱巹偺島媊偼棟夝偱偒傑偟偨偐丠

B: Oh, uh, well, yes, after a fashion.

偊丄傑偁偦偺丄偼偄丄嬋偑傝側傝偵丅

 

仠at the eleventh hour

偓傝偓傝偺偲偙傠偱丂搚抎応偺偲偙傠偱

忢楢偵側偭偰偔偩偝偭偨hiro-san傛傝両Thanks!

 

A:...So I half gave up leaving for the States as I could not find my passport.

偦傟偱偝丄傕偆敿暘傾儊儕僇峴偒傪偁偒傜傔傛偆偐偲巚偭偨悽丄僷僗億乕僩偑尒偮偐傜偔偭偰丅

B: You didn't put it away after you went abroad last time?

慜夞偺椃峴偺屻偟傑偭偰偍偐側偐偭偨偺丠

A: I guess so. Anyway, at the eleventh hour, I found it behind the closet and made the flight!

偦偆側傫偩傠偆偹丅偲偵偐偔傕偆偓傝偓傝偺偲偙傠偱尒偮偐偭偨傫偩丄僞儞僗偺屻傠偱偝丄偦傟偱娫偵崌偭偨偭偰傢偗両

 

仠a Pandora's box

僷儞僪儔偺敔傪奐偗傞偟偰偼側傜側偄偙偲傪偡傞

嵭偄傪屇傇

hiro偝傫採嫙戞係抏丅偺偲偲傕偵塮夋Terminator 3傛傝pick up 偟偰偒偰偔偩偝偄傑偟偨丅Thanks!

 

A: You suggested a "Total ban on smoking" in the company at the meeting.

幮撪姰慡嬛墝傪夛媍偱採埬偟偨傫偩偭偰丠

B: So? Did I do anything wrong? Every one seemed to like the idea.

偦傟偱丠側偵偐埆偄偙偲偟偨丠傒傫側姶怱偟偰暦偄偰偔傟偨偗偳丅

A: Yes, you've opened a Pandora's box. Total ban leaves no way out, you know? Did you know that about one-third of the executives here are heavy smokers?

偦偆偝丄傗偭偐偄側偙偲偵側傞傛丅姰慡嬛巭偼摝偘摴偑側偄傢偗偩丅姴晹僋儔僗偺俁暘偺侾偑垽墝壠偩偭偰抦偭偰偨?

 

 

仠ring a bell

暦偄偨妎偊偑偁傞

 

A: My name is Jo Michiru. Nice to meet you!

Jo Michiru偲偄偄傑偡丅傛傠偟偔両

B: Your name rings a bell, but I can't remember...

偊丄偳偙偐偱暦偄偨妎偊偺偁傞柤慜丒丒丒偳偙偩傠偆丒丒丒

A: Hahaha, I used to be a youth icon thirty years ago.

偼偼偼丄俁侽擭慜丄庒幰偺傾僀僪儖偱偟偨傛丅

 

I sang "Iruka ni notta shonen" over and over again! (as a child...)

 

仠reach for the sky

庤傪嫇偘傠丂

僩僀僗僩乕儕乕偺朻摢偱丄偙偆偄偄側偑傜丄傾儞僨傿偑僂僢僨傿傪帩偭偰僇僂儃乕僀偛偭偙傪偟偰偄傞応柺偑偁傝傑偟偨丅freeze偲偲傕偵壇偊側偒傖偄偗側偄偺偱偟傚偆偐丒丒丒

 

A: Reach for the sky!

庤傪嫇偘傠両

B: Oh, no!! Help! Help!!...OK, now it's my turn to play the cowboy.

傗傔傠両扤偐彆偗偰乕両丂偝丄崱搙偼杔偑僇僂儃乕僀栶偩傛丅

 

仠a shot in the dark

摉偰偢偭傐偆丂悇検 take a shot in the dark偱摉偰偢偭傐偆傪尵偆丅

 

Thank you again, hiro-san. You saved me a lot of trouble in finding useful idioms!

 

A: I heard you won the prize money on a Quiz Show.

僋僀僘僔儑乕偱徿嬥傪壱偄偩傫偩偭偰丠

B: I was lucky. For some questions, I just took a shot in the dark.

儔僢僉乕偩偭偨傛丅偄偔偮偐偺栤戣偼嶳姩偱摉偰偨傫偩傛丅

 

 

仠pull the strings

堿偱憖傞丂棤偱巺傪堷偔

the 偑側偔偰丂pull srings behind the scenes偲傕偄偄傑偡丅

 

hiro偝傫偑壧偐傜巚偄弌偟偰偔傟傑偟偨丅Thank you, hiro-san

 

A: Daddy, I want to join JAL. Could you pull some strings for me?

僷僷,JAL偵擖幮偟偨偄傫偩偗偳丅僐僱偱堷偭挘偭偰偔傟側偄偐側丅

B: Let's see what I can do for you.

側傫偲偐傗偭偰傒傛偆丅

 

Society is not so naive...

 

 

in the dark

慡偔傢偐傜偢丂柍抦偱

埫埮偱偲偄偆堄枴傕偁傝傑偡丅偦偙偐傜丄尒偊側偄丄傢偐傜側偄丒丒丒偲偄偆偙偲偱偡偹丅

 

A: Why didn't you come join our bus hike yesterday? It was fun.

偳偆偟偰僶僗僴僀僋偵偙側偐偭偨偺丅妝偟偐偭偨傛丅

B: How could I join when I was in the dark about the hiking. Nobody told me.

偦傫側僴僀僉儞僌偺帠抦傜側偄偺偵偄偗傞傢偗側偄傛丅扤傕嫵偊偰偔傟側偐偭偨偟丅

A: No kidding. I asked Jolley to call you.

傑偝偐丅僕儑儕乕偵揹榖偡傞傛偆棅傫偩傫偩偗偳丅

B: We had a fight last week. That's why he didn't tell me!

愭廡偗傫偐偟偨傫偩丅偩偐傜揹榖傛偙偝側偐偭偨傫偩側丅

 

仠wash one's dirty linen in public

撪椫偺抪傪恖慜偵偝傜偡

 

hiro偝傫偑丄BBC偺僯儏乕僗偐傜慖傫偱偔傟偨僀僨傿僆儉偱偡両hiro偝傫丄Thank you for the contribution!

 

A: You revealed that your father is alcoholic at the meeting?

偍晝偝傫偑傾儖拞偩偭偰儈乕僥傿儞僌偱尵偭偨傫偩偭偰丅

B: The participants are supposed to be open about their personal life.

嶲壛幰偼巹惗妶偵偮偄偰僆乕僾儞偵側傞偙偲偵側偭偰偄傞傫偩丅

A: Talk about nonsense. Is everyone happy to wash his dirty linen in public?

偽偐偽偐偟偄丅傒傫側撪椫偺抪傪恖慜偵偝傜偟偰枮懌偟偰傞傢偗丠

 

仠off base

慡偔堘偆丂尒摉偼偢傟

base(婎慴乯偐傜丂off偼偢傟傞丄偲偄偆偙偲偱丄偍栧堘偄偲偄偆姶偠偱偡丅

 

A: I know what's on your mind. Want to hear my guess?

壗峫偊偰偄傞偐傢偐傞傛丅尵偭偰傕偄偄丠

B: Shoot.

尵偭偰偛傜傫丅

A: You're in love with Kayoko.

壛悽巕偵楒偟偰偄傞偱偟傚丅

B: You are way off base!

剔薨

 

仠whistle-blower

撪晹崘敪幰

whistle(揓乯blower(悂偔恖乯偱寈忇傪柭傜偡恖偺堄枴偱偡丅

惓媊偺枴曽偑僶僇傪傒傞偙偲偺側偄傛偆偵偟偰傕傜偄偨偄丒丒丒

'Insider'偲偄偆塮夋傪娤偨姶憐偱偡丅

 

A: Nobody will stand up and say what's wrong with the businesses within the company because they are afraid of losing their jobs.

扤傕撪晹崘敪側傫偰偟側偄傛偹丄庱偵側傞傫偠傖側偄偐偲怱攝偟偰丅

B: You are right about that. Japan must have a whistle-blower protection bill in place.

偦偺捠傝偩傛丅撪晹崘敪幰傪庣傞朄棩偑側偄偲偩傔偩傛丅

 

仠airhead

摢偑嬻偭傐側恖丂偍偐偟側偙偲傪偡傞恖

space cadet偺摨媊岅偲偄偭偰傛偄偱偟傚偆丅

 

A: You broke up with Eri?

僄儕偲暿傟傑偟偨偹丅

B: Sure, I'm happy it's over.

偼偄丄偦傟偱杮摉偵椙偐偭偨丅

A: What makes you say so?

側傫偱丠

B: I don't want to see that airhead.

摢偑嬻偭傐偺恖偵偼傕偆夛偄偨偔側偄偹丅

A: She must be saying the same thing about you.

岦偙偆傕摨偠偙偲傪尵偭偰偄傞傛丅

 

Sorry about airheaded example sentences.

 

仠space cadet

傏乕偭偲偟偰偄傞恖丄僪僕側恖丂

space cadet偼桭恖偑朰傟偭傐偄恖傪偝偟偰偄偆偺偩偲嫵偊偰偔傟傑偟偨丅偦偺応偱丄"I'm a space cadet." 偲尵偭偨傜帺暘傪偦偆屇傇恖偼偄側偄丄偲偄傢傟傑偟偨丒丒丒

 

A: He called me a "space cadet"!

巹傪嵍姫偒偭偰屇傫偩偺丄斵丅

B: That's terrible. No wonder you are angry.

偦傝傖傂偳偄丅搟傞偺傕柍棟側偄丅

 

仠lose steam

惃偄偑柍偔側傞丂尦婥偑棊偪傞丂

 

A: After the fierce competition, our president lost steam.

偁偺寖偟偄嫞憟偺偁偲丄幮挿偡偭偐傝尦婥側偔偟偪傖偭偰丅

B: He does? Tell him that there is always next time.

偦偆側偺丠師偺僠儍儞僗偑偁傞偭偰揱偊偰偍偄偰丅

 

仠go-getter

傗傝庤丂惁榬丂栰怱偵枮偪偨恖

a real go-getter偲偄偆昞尰偱暦偔偙偲傕偁傝傑偡丅

 

A: He has started his own business at the age of 30, and his company has been very prosperous. He is expanding his enterprise.

斵偑30嵨偱巒傔偨夛幮丄栕偐偭偰偄傞傫偩偭偰丅帠嬈偺奼戝傕偟偰偄傞偟丅

B: A real go-getter like him shows no sign of slowing down.

偁偁偄偆惁榬偺惃偄偼偲偳傑傞偲偙傠傪抦傜側偄偹丅

 

仠get under the skin of

乣傪椄偵偡傞丄乣傪柌拞偵偝偣傞

慡偔媡偺堄枴偱丄乣傪偄傜偄傜偝偣傞丂傕偁傞偺偱偡丅嬃偒傑偟偨丅偢偭偲屻幰偺堄枴偩偲巚偭偰偄偨傜丄"I've got you under my skin."偲偄偆姶偠偺壧偺壧帉偵弌夛偄傑偟偨丅偦傟偼傑偝偵柌拞偵偝偣傞丄側偺偱偡丅

 

A: You've been spaced out. What's the matter?

傏乕偭偲偟偰偄傞偗偳丄偳偆偟偨偺丠

B: I can't get her off my mind.

斵彈偺偙偲偑摢偐傜棧傟側偄傫偩丅

A: Oh, you are lovesick.

楒斚偄偐丅

B: Yes, she has gotten under my skin.

偦偆側傫偩丅斵彈偑杔傪椄偵偟偨傫偩丅

 

仠blow one's own horn

帺暘偺偙偲傪帺夋帺巀偡傞丂帺枬偡傞丂傎傜傪悂偔

 

A: I don't mean to blow my own horn or anything, but I can speak five languages.

帺枬偡傞栿偠傖側偄傫偩偗偳丄俆僇崙岅偺尵梩傪榖偣傞傛丅

B: Wow! What languages are they?

偡偛偄両偳偙偺尵梩丠

A: Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean and Russian.

擔杮岅丄塸岅丄拞崙岅丄娯崙岅偲儘僔傾岅丅

B: Then you'll have no difficulty finding the job you want!

岲偒側巇帠傪扵偡偺偵嬯楯偟側偄傛丅偦傟側傜丅

 

仠two-faced

棤昞偺偁傞丄偛傑傪偡傞

 

娭楢昞尰丂埲慜丄傾儊儕僇恖壗恖偐偑廤傑偭偨惾偱丄巹偑偁傞恖偺偙偲傪忕択偱丄乽偙偺恖偼偡偖偛傑傪偡傞偐傜丄婥傪偮偗傑偟傚偆乿偲尵偄偨偔偰丄apple-polisher乮偛傑偡傝偡傞恖乯傪巊偭偨偲偙傠壗恖偐偼僺儞偲偙側偐偭偨傛偆偱丄扤偐偑乬brown-noser"偲愢柧偟偨傜慡堳偑徫偭偰傑偟偨丅抧堟偵傛偭偰傕巊偆昿搙偼堘偆偐傕偟傟傑偣傫偹丅

 

A: Mr. Sato is so two-faced that nobody likes him.

嵅摗偝傫偭偰偛傑偡傝傛偹丅

B: Yes, he flatters the boss by laughing at his jokes, and then ridicules him later.

忋巌偺慜偱偼偄偄婄偽偐傝偟偰丄堿偱僶僇偵偟偨傝偹丅

 

 

仠pride and joy

帺枬偺庬

擇偮偺椺暥偵擖偭偰傑偡偑丄壠偱傕掚偱傕丄幵偱傕偦偟偰戝愗側懅巕傗柡偵傕巊偊傑偡丅

 

A: I heard your son started his own business.

懅巕偝傫偑帠嬈傪巒傔傜傟偨偲偐丠

B: That's right! He is the owner of the lunch box company.

偦偺偲偍傝丅崱傗曎摉夛幮偺僆乕僫乕偩偐傜丅

A: Starting business at the age of ...?

偍庒偄幮挿偱丒丒丒偊偭偲丠

B: He is 26.

俀俇嵨偩丅

A: He must be your pride and joy.

偛帺枬偺庬偱偄傜偭偟傖偄傑偡偹丅

 

Mr.A is a typical brown-noser.

 

仠get slow

擭偐側丅從偒偑夞偭偨偐側丅

偙傟偼曋棙両傑偩拞擭側偺偵幐攕偟偨傝丄壗偐朰傟偨傝偟偨偲偒乽偄傗乕傕偆擭偱偹乕乿偭偰尵偄傑偡傛偹丅(帺暘丠乯

 

A: Oh, hi, Akemi.

偙傫偪偼丄柧旤偝傫丅

B: Uh...My name is Kazumi, not Akemi.